A clarification on voting on edits (and cover art)

A clarification on voting on edits (and cover art)

mayhem
Administrator
Hi!

I wanted to take a minute and remind everyone about voting on edits and in which spirit you should be considering edits. Overall, you should vote yes on an edit if it makes the data in MusicBrainz better. The edit does not have to be *perfect* or *complete*! The edit needs to make the data better than it is now.

Please remember that people put a lot of energy into editing MusicBrainz and due to the limitations of our current edit system, a no-vote can be quite destructive and counter productive. This is especially true for release add edits, which can take a fair amount of time to submit: there's no need to vote down release adds that add releases that clearly exist and aren't yet in MusicBrainz, even if they aren't entered perfectly (unless the data is just a disaster, and fixing the entry would take as long or longer than adding it correctly from scratch again). If a new addition isn't too great, but you don't have the time or willingness to fix it, you can always use the data quality settings to mark it as low quality data.

The same philosophy applies to cover-art: Even if the cover art isn't perfect, if it makes the CAA better, you should vote yes on the cover art addition.

Please be kind when voting on edits of your fellow editors -- we're all trying to make the data in MusicBrainz better!

--

--ruaok

Robert Kaye     --     [hidden email]     --    http://musicbrainz.org

Re: A clarification on voting on edits (and cover art)

Crystal Hamaker
I am so thankful for you saying this. I am a PR Rep for Independent musicians and after I created a profile for one of them I've been very reluctant to tackle the process again. Thankfully a very experienced editor took what I had started with and finished/fixed the one profile I was attempting to create and because of him it was corrected and approved. But I've been very afraid of tackling it again for the other bands/musicians I work for.

Thank you,
Crystal Hamaker,
Josh Stone PR,
Lethal Chaos PR,
Struckgold Music,
Co-Owner www.mojoradio.us,
DJ "Crystal Myth"

On Jan 28, 2013, at 4:16 PM, Robert Kaye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I wanted to take a minute and remind everyone about voting on edits and in which spirit you should be considering edits. Overall, you should vote yes on an edit if it makes the data in MusicBrainz better. The edit does not have to be *perfect* or *complete*! The edit needs to make the data better than it is now.
>
> Please remember that people put a lot of energy into editing MusicBrainz and due to the limitations of our current edit system, a no-vote can be quite destructive and counter productive. This is especially true for release add edits, which can take a fair amount of time to submit: there's no need to vote down release adds that add releases that clearly exist and aren't yet in MusicBrainz, even if they aren't entered perfectly (unless the data is just a disaster, and fixing the entry would take as long or longer than adding it correctly from scratch again). If a new addition isn't too great, but you don't have the time or willingness to fix it, you can always use the data quality settings to mark it as low quality data.
>
> The same philosophy applies to cover-art: Even if the cover art isn't perfect, if it makes the CAA better, you should vote yes on the cover art addition.
>
> Please be kind when voting on edits of your fellow editors -- we're all trying to make the data in MusicBrainz better!
>
> --
>
> --ruaok
>
> Robert Kaye     --     [hidden email]     --    http://musicbrainz.org

MB Picard

Louis LSJ Kruger
Hi,
Is there any reason why one would not be able to find a CD that you have
submitted and connected to the TOC from Picard?

Since this morning there is a CD that I have in my drive which
permanently give a blank lookup.  I have the entered and completed the
release on MB, connected several times to the TOC.

Any fault that I could have made?

Louis

Re: MB Picard

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Louis LSJ Kruger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
Is there any reason why one would not be able to find a CD that you have
submitted and connected to the TOC from Picard?

Since this morning there is a CD that I have in my drive which
permanently give a blank lookup.  I have the entered and completed the
release on MB, connected several times to the TOC.

Any fault that I could have made?

No! It's just that we had broken TOC connection. Try to link it again and then to find it - it should work now since the bug is supposed to be fixed.