A couple of questions

Maurits Meulenbelt-2
Hello everyone,

After a long hiatus I've started doing some translation work again, but due to my absence I've got a few questions.
1. Transifex has gotten a new editor since the last time I used it. It works pretty well, but the last editor had an option to view other language translations in-line. I used that sometimes to see how the German team solved some problems I ran into. ;) But is that no longer possible?
2. Recently the areas feature was introduced to Musicbrainz. I wonder if there is a reason the name for this entity is not location but area? This may sound a bit weird, but I'd like to translate it to "Locatie" in Dutch, and I can't if something called Location is going to be added to Musicbrainz in a later stage. Or if there are other problems with that name.
3. The i18n.mbsandbox.org site is broken. I get an error if I try to log in or try to browse the database. Is this a known problem or should I report this somewhere?
4. Could someone update the translations on the beta-server too? There's no rush, but I've already changed quite a bit in the translation and it would be nice for me to be able to work with that.
5. Anything else I missed? The mailinglist seems to have been rather quiet over the past few months.

Re: A couple of questions

Ian McEwen
I'll answer what I know:

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:07:31AM +0200, Maurits Meulenbelt wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> After a long hiatus I've started doing some translation work again, but due
> to my absence I've got a few questions.
> 1. Transifex has gotten a new editor since the last time I used it. It
> works pretty well, but the last editor had an option to view other language
> translations in-line. I used that sometimes to see how the German team
> solved some problems I ran into. ;) But is that no longer possible?

No idea on this count; someone who does more translation may know.

> 2. Recently the areas feature was introduced to Musicbrainz. I wonder if
> there is a reason the name for this entity is not location but area? This
> may sound a bit weird, but I'd like to translate it to "Locatie" in Dutch,
> and I can't if something called Location is going to be added to
> Musicbrainz in a later stage. Or if there are other problems with that name.

It's primarily to distinguish different types of locations. In October, assuming
all goes according to plan, we'll be adding "Places", which are for venues,
studios, etc. (basically, for single-point locations), where Areas are for,
well, areas.

Since both are locations, I decided not to use that term for either in favor of
the somewhat more specific terms.

Originally the intention had been to add both at the same time, which would have
made it more clear, but sadly I'm only one person :) thankfully reosarevok's
taken on the remainder for October.

> 3. The i18n.mbsandbox.org site is broken. I get an error if I try to log in
> or try to browse the database. Is this a known problem or should I report
> this somewhere?
> 4. Could someone update the translations on the beta-server too? There's no
> rush, but I've already changed quite a bit in the translation and it would
> be nice for me to be able to work with that.

i18n's not been updated code-wise in a while, probably pre-schema-change. I'll
make a note to fix it up, sorry about that. Translations there are probably
up-to-date, but I'll also get beta updated, since that's manual at present.

> 5. Anything else I missed? The mailinglist seems to have been rather quiet
> over the past few months.

Probably not. Progress on the i18n front has been a bit quiet too.

Ian McEwen <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
A262 D5C4 40CB 0E1C 5F24 C3A1 ABED 1ABD 7131 A76F
http://ianmcorvidae.net/