A promo for...?

Simon ‘Chiark’ Austin
This - https://yfrog.com/771j5fj - is the back cover of a CD I now have.
It's a promotional CD with two live versions of Magdalena and Brena.
Nowhere does it say what it is a promo for though...

A two-track CD with Magdalena and Brena was added a long time ago[1] as
"Mer de Noms Bonus CD", subsequently edited to "Mer de Noms (bonus
disc)" and (one assumes) was bundled in with all the "Mer de noms"
releases when Release Groups arrived, where it lay undisturbed bar a
small edit war over capitalisation.

Given that there is seemingly no 2CD version of Mer de noms with a
2-track second disc, the times matched those given for the official
release of the two live tracks on the Judith single[2] but not the times
of the tracks on Mer de noms itself (and why would you release the same
tracks anyway as a bonus?), prior to receiving a physical copy of the
promo, I put up for vote changes to turn the "bonus disc" into the promo.

Some made it through... notably that it was indeed the promo disc.
Titling it Judith failed, and moving it to the Judith RG failed though.

So we've reached a bit of an impasse[3]. I think it's a promo for the
Judith single (as it copies the two live tracks, only found there). The
opposing viewpoint is that as it doesn't have a Judith (or a remix
thereof), it can't be, and it's not a Mer de noms promo because there
are no shared tracks at all.

Can it be an untitled promo for nothing it all?

- Si (chiark)

1: http://musicbrainz.org/release/11080020-a8fd-413f-891f-c59f92e0707e/edits
2: http://www.discogs.com/release/386723
3: http://musicbrainz.org/edit/18445619

Re: A promo for...?

Calvin Walton-2
On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 21:51 +0100, Simon Austin wrote:

> This - https://yfrog.com/771j5fj - is the back cover of a CD I now have.
> It's a promotional CD with two live versions of Magdalena and Brena.
> Nowhere does it say what it is a promo for though...
>
> A two-track CD with Magdalena and Brena was added a long time ago[1] as
> "Mer de Noms Bonus CD", subsequently edited to "Mer de Noms (bonus
> disc)" and (one assumes) was bundled in with all the "Mer de noms"
> releases when Release Groups arrived, where it lay undisturbed bar a
> small edit war over capitalisation.
>
> Given that there is seemingly no 2CD version of Mer de noms with a
> 2-track second disc, the times matched those given for the official
> release of the two live tracks on the Judith single[2] but not the times
> of the tracks on Mer de noms itself (and why would you release the same
> tracks anyway as a bonus?), prior to receiving a physical copy of the
> promo, I put up for vote changes to turn the "bonus disc" into the promo.
>
> Some made it through... notably that it was indeed the promo disc.
> Titling it Judith failed, and moving it to the Judith RG failed though.
>
> So we've reached a bit of an impasse[3]. I think it's a promo for the
> Judith single (as it copies the two live tracks, only found there). The
> opposing viewpoint is that as it doesn't have a Judith (or a remix
> thereof), it can't be, and it's not a Mer de noms promo because there
> are no shared tracks at all.
>
> Can it be an untitled promo for nothing it all?

A "promotional" release doesn't have to be in support of some other
release - occasionally artists will just put them out to promote their
music!

From the sounds of it, the release in question should probably have its
own release group. It's not equivalent to the Judith single, so it
shouldn't be in the same release group as that - and if it's not part of
the Mer do noms release, it shouldn't be in that release group either.

--
Calvin Walton <[hidden email]>

Re: A promo for...?

Staffan Vilcans

Simon Austin skrev:

> Can it be an untitled promo for nothing it all?

It's not uncommon for promos to contain tracks that are never released
(although they might end up on a compilation years later). Usually it's
some variation like an unplugged or live track.

--
http://www.interface1.net

Re: A promo for...?

Ryan Torchia
There's a similar release here -- http://www.discogs.com/release/1977419 -- which includes the "Live" descriptor in the tracklists.

I think it would be more appropriate to say this is self-titled, or is simply a promo-only single for Magdalena / Breña.  Either way, I'd also vote for a separate release group.

--Torc.