Add artist edits, should they be automatically applied?

Add artist edits, should they be automatically applied?

Nikki-12
Hi,

I'd like to pick the brains of the experts here, does anyone have any
objections or issues with 'Add Artist' edits being automatically applied?
Lukáš mentioned on IRC earlier that he'd like to make them so, and it's
something which has been bugging me for a while. So far I haven't found
anyone with any objections.

Currently, we have around 300 to 600 open 'Add Artist' edits a week.
There's so many (especially since the relationships functionality came
about) that hardly anyone ever verifies them and most will end up being
applied through lack of votes.

I think they should be automatically applied because if nobody adds
anything to the artist, it will be deleted later. If they do add something
which is voted down, the artist is then deleted for being empty anyway.

Another point to note is that the creation of an artist via a 'Change Track
Artist' or similar edit will automatically create the artist without
entering it as an edit (meaning it's effectively an automatically applied
'Add Artist' edit). The various artists albums are actually responsible for
most of the bad artists, yet they're the artists which don't go to a vote!

So, any objections or concerns?

--Nikki

Re: Add artist edits, should they be automatically applied?

keschte
the new server release will use redirects to the "add artist" form for
these cases, and thus enter artists which will go to a vote. good
thing you've brought this up, i'm not sure how this will affect the
edits which depend on these newly created artists.
i think your proposal makes sense, and it would make any changes to
the edits absolete if my introduced change would require any. i was
quite unhappy with the way only artists without any resolution, dates,
and types could be entered on these forms and therefore changed the
way these artists are entered. so, no objections from me.

> I think they should be automatically applied because if nobody adds
> anything to the artist, it will be deleted later. If they do add something
> which is voted down, the artist is then deleted for being empty anyway.

RE: Add artist edits, should they be automatically applied?

Beth-2
No argument from me... it would certainly lessen my vote count. :D

the new server release will use redirects to the "add artist" form for
these cases, and thus enter artists which will go to a vote. good
thing you've brought this up, i'm not sure how this will affect the
edits which depend on these newly created artists.
i think your proposal makes sense, and it would make any changes to
the edits absolete if my introduced change would require any. i was
quite unhappy with the way only artists without any resolution, dates,
and types could be entered on these forms and therefore changed the
way these artists are entered. so, no objections from me.

> I think they should be automatically applied because if nobody adds
> anything to the artist, it will be deleted later. If they do add something
> which is voted down, the artist is then deleted for being empty anyway.

Re: Add artist edits, should they be automatically applied?

Lukáš Lalinský
Nikki wrote:
[...]
> So, any objections or concerns?