Adding language attribute to URLs

Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen
Hello all,

I've been missing a "language" attribute for URLs for a while, as I'm
frequently adding e.g. Danish reviews of release groups. This post is to
discuss the feature and try to convince all the rest of you that it'd be
nifty to have as well. Please chime in with questions and comments and
suggestions!

Uses
----

Some use cases I see for this could be, once we actually launch a
localised musicbrainz.org, to only show URLs based on locale (e.g., show
English language links for English language locales).

This would also be something I'd want for MusicBottle - to only display
links relevant for the language the person is browsing in (probably like
"eng+mul+$sessionlanguage"). If a user is browsing in Danish, it's
unlikely they want to read a review in Greek.

Obviously, for both these cases, it should be possible to get all links
as well - but this is a "future use" of this feature, and details about
that implementation isn't really relevant here.

Please brainstorm over other things where it would be nifty to know the
language prior to fetching the page and reading lang/xml:lang (if the
target even provides it - and reports it correctly(!)) from that. I'm
sure there are more uses I haven't thought of yet. :)

Interface
---------

I imagine the interface being rather similar to other language (and
country) selectors around the site, e.g., for Works and Releases (and
Artists).

Edge/corner/difficult cases
figure out the proper way to deal with them. E.g. MySpace pages have the
interface in multiple languages, but artist profiles are usually only in
one or occasionally two (rarely more, but it happens) languages.

Official artist websites in 2+ languages could be marked as [multiple
languages] as is requested of other parts of the site. However, see also
the "Wishlist" section below.

- Should they be listed using [multiple languages] or the language of
the profile content?
- In case of multiple languages in the site, should we use the same
guidelines we currently use for releases - ie., use the dominant one?

Implementation considerations
-----------------------------

As jesus2099 notes in the Jira ticket (see "Read more!" below), we'd
start off with having a huge amount of null-language URLs. As reosarevok
points out the same place, all Wikipedia (and BBC) URLs would be able to
be set with a script.

Wishlist
--------

It would be nice if we can set multiple languages instead of one and
only one. This would help sites that are available in e.g. Danish and
English to state so, instead of having to use [multiple languages].

Related in Jira:
- http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-5452 (>1 work language)
- http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-3985 (>1 artist country)

Read more!
----------

The ticket for this is, of course, in Jira:
http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-4988

Topic on forum:
http://forums.musicbrainz.org/viewtopic.php?id=4002

--
Namasté,
Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>

Re: [mb-style] Adding language attribute to URLs

Calvin Walton-2
On Tue, 2013-01-01 at 21:36 +0100, Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been missing a "language" attribute for URLs for a while, as I'm
> frequently adding e.g. Danish reviews of release groups. This post is to
> discuss the feature and try to convince all the rest of you that it'd be
> nifty to have as well. Please chime in with questions and comments and
> suggestions!
>
> Uses
> ----
>
> Some use cases I see for this could be, once we actually launch a
> localised musicbrainz.org, to only show URLs based on locale (e.g., show
> English language links for English language locales).

One thing I'm curious about is how this will interact with Wikipedia
links, which are available in many languages.

Right now most people tend to add wikipedia links only for English and
the artist's native language if different - and sometimes other
languages if they have particularly good-quality pages. The built-in
wikipedia display support on the website can use the wikipedia api to
find the other languages automatically to display them, even though they
aren't explicitly linked.

If we get a feature like this, would you want to add all language
wikipedia links, or just add the languages to our existing links
(automatically, since it's trivial to detect) and stay with the status
quo of minimal links in the db?

--
Calvin Walton <[hidden email]>

Den 04-01-2013 18:34, Calvin Walton skrev:
>If we get a feature like this, would you want to add all language
>wikipedia links, or just add the languages to our existing links
>(automatically, since it's trivial to detect) and stay with the status
>quo of minimal links in the db?

I think I'd personally opt for the status quo approach. AFAIK, we don't
add more Wikipedia links because they're not really useful. Off course,
there might be cases where they are, but this is already true.

Ultimately though, this, like other "interesting" cases of the
implications of this feature, would have to be decided on
musicbrainz-style. :)