Alias for Chinese artists

Rafa.Ctt
Hello,

I have been editing a series of Chinese releases, that have been published, as far as I know, just in China for Chinese consumers.

I have been editing the artists' names in simplified Chinese, as it appears in the CDs, with the sort name in pinyin transliteration, maintaining the comma between surname and name:
Name: 李胜素
Sort Name: Li, Shengsu
(http://musicbrainz.org/artist/947a82fc-4394-4861-ad7c-35d51dd2d182).

I have the doubt though if there's a need for also adding an alias to that, with the transliteration withouth the comma, as it might appear when quoted in languages that use latin script. In case I need to do so, do I have to use a specific locale? Because I haven't changed the language at all, it is still Chinese. And I haven't found a locale such as "Chinese pinyin". I wouldn't like use "English", beacuse this is the form that will also be used in Spanish, French, Italian, German, etc.

As I said, the whole purpose of the alias would be to have a translitarion of the name without the comma that is needed for sort names.

Thank you!

Rafael Caro.

--
Rafael Caro Repetto
CompMusic, Music Technology Group

Re: Alias for Chinese artists

Ulrich Klauer
Rafael Caro Repetto wrote:

> I have been editing the artists' names in simplified Chinese, as it appears
> in the CDs, with the sort name in pinyin transliteration, maintaining the
> comma between surname and name:
> Name: 李胜素
> Sort Name: Li, Shengsu
> (http://musicbrainz.org/artist/947a82fc-4394-4861-ad7c-35d51dd2d182).
>
> I have the doubt though if there's a need for also adding an alias to that,
> with the transliteration withouth the comma, as it might appear when quoted
> in languages that use latin script. In case I need to do so, do I have to
> use a specific locale? Because I haven't changed the language at all, it is
> still Chinese. And I haven't found a locale such as "Chinese pinyin". I
> wouldn't like use "English", beacuse this is the form that will also be
> used in Spanish, French, Italian, German, etc.

Ideally, there should be two aliases: One Chinese with 李胜素 as the name
and whatever is used as a sortname in Chinese (possibly the same
form); and one Latin-script alias with name "Li Shengsu" and sortname
"Li, Shengsu". However, since script locales aren't available yet, it
is probably best to leave the locale for that blank.

Ulrich