Alternative release titles

lixobix
If a release (particularly a bootleg) has an alternative title, either on the release itself or amongst the fan community, should that alternative title be documented in MB, and if so, where?

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Old_Tunes_Vol._1

The release is generally know as "A Few Old Tunes" (which is on the cover) although some copies have "Old Tunes vol. 1" written on the tapes themselves, but not the sleeve. Moreover, in the fan community the release is often referred to as "Old Tunes vol. 1", due to the link with a similar release, Old Tunes vol. 2.

So should "Old Tunes vol. 1" be part of the title, put in the disambiguation field, or in the annotation?

Re: Alternative release titles

Per Starbäck

> If a release (particularly a bootleg) has an alternative title, either on the
> release itself or amongst the fan community, should that alternative title
> be documented in MB, and if so, where?
>
> http://bocpages.org/wiki/Old_Tunes_Vol._1
>
> The release is generally know as "A Few Old Tunes" (which is on the cover)
> although some copies have "Old Tunes vol. 1" written on the tapes
> themselves, but not the sleeve. Moreover, in the fan community the release
> is often referred to as "Old Tunes vol. 1", due to the link with a similar
> release, Old Tunes vol. 2.
>
> So should "Old Tunes vol. 1" be part of the title, put in the disambiguation
> field, or in the annotation?

I think alternative titles would be good to have. Even official
releases can have inofficial titles like that, the obvious example
being "The White Album" by Beatles. But where I have mostly felt a
need for alternative titles is when there are (slightly) different
titles on the release, for example on front cover, on spine, and on
disc.

Re: Alternative release titles

lixobix
Per Starbäck wrote
> If a release (particularly a bootleg) has an alternative title, either on the
> release itself or amongst the fan community, should that alternative title
> be documented in MB, and if so, where?
>
> http://bocpages.org/wiki/Old_Tunes_Vol._1
>
> The release is generally know as "A Few Old Tunes" (which is on the cover)
> although some copies have "Old Tunes vol. 1" written on the tapes
> themselves, but not the sleeve. Moreover, in the fan community the release
> is often referred to as "Old Tunes vol. 1", due to the link with a similar
> release, Old Tunes vol. 2.
>
> So should "Old Tunes vol. 1" be part of the title, put in the disambiguation
> field, or in the annotation?

I think alternative titles would be good to have. Even official
releases can have inofficial titles like that, the obvious example
being "The White Album" by Beatles. But where I have mostly felt a
need for alternative titles is when there are (slightly) different
titles on the release, for example on front cover, on spine, and on
disc.

The question then is where that alt. title should go. Should it be in brackets after the main title, or should it be in the disambiguation comment?

Re: Alternative release titles

Calvin Walton-2

On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 11:29 -0700, lixobix wrote:

> Per Starbäck wrote
> > > >
> > >  So should "Old Tunes vol. 1" be part of the title, put in the
> > >  disambiguation
> > >  field, or in the annotation?> >
> >  I think alternative titles would be good to have. Even official
> >  releases can have inofficial titles like that, the obvious example
> >  being "The White Album" by Beatles. But where I have mostly felt a
> >  need for alternative titles is when there are (slightly) different
> >  titles on the release, for example on front cover, on spine, and
> > on
> >  disc.> > >
> The question then is where that alt. title should go. Should it be in
> brackets after the main title, or should it be in the disambiguation
> comment?
I wonder if it might make sense to look into adding an aliases system
at the release group level to store these types of alternate titles,
fan titles, etc; similar to how we use them for search hints on artist
names.

This would be a longer-term (schema change) goal, though; and it
doesn't resolve the immediate issue.

--
Calvin Walton <[hidden email]>

Re: Alternative release titles

tommycrock

On 27 Aug 2014 17:35, "Calvin Walton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 11:29 -0700, lixobix wrote:
> > Per Starbäck wrote

> > >  I think alternative titles would be good to have. Even official
> > >  releases can have inofficial titles like that, the obvious example
> > >  being "The White Album" by Beatles. But where I have mostly felt a
> > >  need for alternative titles is when there are (slightly) different
> > >  titles on the release, for example on front cover, on spine, and
> > > on
> > >  disc.> > >
> > The question then is where that alt. title should go. Should it be in
> > brackets after the main title, or should it be in the disambiguation
> > comment?
> I wonder if it might make sense to look into adding an aliases system
> at the release group level to store these types of alternate titles,
> fan titles, etc; similar to how we use them for search hints on artist
> names.

Definitely. And not only for releases. Does anyone know if there's a ticket for this? It's not the first time it's come up.

> This would be a longer-term (schema change) goal, though; and it
> doesn't resolve the immediate issue.

I'm not sure how this should be handled for now. It should probably go in the annotation but that won't help for searches I guess? For tracks I've seen Foo (aka Bar) on releases. But I don't think it would be good to add that to the title in these cases nor to the disambiguation because that's not what the disambiguation is for...

Re: Alternative release titles

lixobix
tommycrock wrote

The disambiguation seems to be the usual choice at the moment for this sort of thing (see The Beatles /
White Album), but I agree a schema change would be best. As was discussed in the disambiguation thread, it is often "misused" but there is the practical benefit that it is far more visible than the annotation. I would suggest using the disambiguation for now.

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:52 AM, Tom Crocker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 27 Aug 2014 17:35, "Calvin Walton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 11:29 -0700, lixobix wrote:
> > Per Starbäck wrote

> > >  I think alternative titles would be good to have. Even official
> > >  releases can have inofficial titles like that, the obvious example
> > >  being "The White Album" by Beatles. But where I have mostly felt a
> > >  need for alternative titles is when there are (slightly) different
> > >  titles on the release, for example on front cover, on spine, and
> > > on
> > >  disc.> > >
> > The question then is where that alt. title should go. Should it be in
> > brackets after the main title, or should it be in the disambiguation
> > comment?
> I wonder if it might make sense to look into adding an aliases system
> at the release group level to store these types of alternate titles,
> fan titles, etc; similar to how we use them for search hints on artist
> names.

Definitely. And not only for releases. Does anyone know if there's a ticket for this? It's not the first time it's come up.

Re: Alternative release titles

tommycrock

Thanks :)

On 28 August 2014 13:34, lixobix <[hidden email]> wrote:

The disambiguation seems to be the usual choice at the moment for this sort
of thing (see The Beatles /
White Album), but I agree a schema change would be best. As was discussed in
the disambiguation thread, it is often "misused" but there is the practical
benefit that it is far more visible than the annotation. I would suggest
using the disambiguation for now.

Personally (and others may hate this) if the disambiguation comment is used I'd like to see "AKA " or similar used to indicate that it isn't a disambiguation comment but an alternative title. I guess that's not very friendly outside non-English language releases?