Are demos official or bootleg?

lixobix
I'm leaning towards 'official' myself, provided the demo was 'released' by the artist them self. By 'released', I mean anything from a full commercial or promotional release, to the disclosure of material in any format to a single person outside of the recording/performance process (usually a fan).

I'm thinking of releases such as http://musicbrainz.org/release/cfa18a3a-7278-4c25-ae4b-c8130a2d3f52, which was a demo cassette given by the artist to a fan, with instructions/permission to circulate.

I would define a bootleg as such material released other than by the artist or label.

Re: Are demos official or bootleg?

Staffan Vilcans

lixobix skrev:
> I'm leaning towards 'official' myself, provided the demo was 'released' by
> the artist them self.

Yes, "official" if it was sold and "promo" if it was given away.

--
http://www.interface1.net

Vinyl ID

Louis LSJ Kruger
Hi,

I searched andf could not so far find an answer:  "What do one do about
the disc-id of a vinyl release?

Louis.

Re: Vinyl ID

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Louis LSJ Kruger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I searched andf could not so far find an answer:  "What do one do about
the disc-id of a vinyl release?

Nothing, I guess. I mean, a vinyl obviously can't have a CD TOC so how would it have a disc-id? :)

Re: Are demos official or bootleg?

lixobix
Staffan Vilcans wrote
lixobix skrev:
> I'm leaning towards 'official' myself, provided the demo was 'released' by
> the artist them self.

Yes, "official" if it was sold and "promo" if it was given away.

--
http://www.interface1.net

Does promo not have a more specific definition, i.e. a release distributed for radio play etc or to encourage the purchase of another release? In the case of releases essentially for fans, and in neither of the above cases, 'promo' doesn't seem right.