Ascap Database Dump

Daniel Sobey
While looking up credits in ascap I noticed that there is now a download link to download the database.
You need to enter in a name, email and reason for the download.
Once submitted you will receive a download link where you can download a 204mb zip file containing a 1gb csv file.
The columns are: Title,RoleType,Name,Note

Looking  at random songs you should be able to find who wrote what song.
If there are two songs with the same name or two artists with the same name you may have problems.
There is no ascap id, iswc or ipi in the file which would solve some of these problems.

Bulk Importing the data would probably be a bad idea unless they grant us permission to do so.
Should we try and contact them directly and see if they would be ok with us using this information?

Re: Ascap Database Dump

"Frederik “Freso” S. Olesen"
Den 26-07-2015 kl. 10:02 skrev Daniel Sobey:
> Should we try and contact them directly and see if they would be ok with
> us using this information?

Please do contact them and ask if we can import them "wholesale", e.g.
by feeding it into Geordi.

--
Namasté,
Frederik “Freso” S. Olesen <https://freso.dk/>

Re: Ascap Database Dump

Duke Yin
The columns are: Title,RoleType,Name,Note
> There is no ascap id, iswc or ipi in the file

I have reservations about importing such a dump into MusicBrainz Works without being able to at least attach the corresponding ASCAP ID.  I don't think the imported data would really be useful in that state, from either a data consumption or editing review perspective.