Box sets of existing releases?

David Monro
I've recently acquired a box set consisting of 8 previously released
discs, some of which are already in musicbrainz. Is there a sensible
way to handle this at the moment, or do I have to manually create a
new release group and release with all 8 discs in it?

(Ideally I guess each CD would be a new release in the existing
release groups, and then somehow the box set would tie those all
together? But currently I think a release can only belong to one
release group?)

The discs are in card sleeves and don't have individual barcodes, so
they would need to be a separate release from the original individual
releases.

Cheers

David

Re: Box sets of existing releases?

Rob Keeney-2
The box set would be considered a new RG and the release would be an
8xCD release within the RG. As you add each disc to the release, make
sure to use the existing standalone releases as starting points. That
will ensure continuity of track titles and especially recordings to
avoid having to merge them later. Let us know if you need help on how to
do that. Regards,
Rob..........

On 2/20/2015 7:40 PM, David Monro wrote:

> I've recently acquired a box set consisting of 8 previously released
> discs, some of which are already in musicbrainz. Is there a sensible
> way to handle this at the moment, or do I have to manually create a
> new release group and release with all 8 discs in it?
>
> (Ideally I guess each CD would be a new release in the existing
> release groups, and then somehow the box set would tie those all
> together? But currently I think a release can only belong to one
> release group?)
>
> The discs are in card sleeves and don't have individual barcodes, so
> they would need to be a separate release from the original individual
> releases.
>
> Cheers
>
> David

Re: Box sets of existing releases?

David Monro
That is what I thought I would have to do, I was just wondering if
there was a better way (since these CDs in the release associated with
the box set won't appear in the RGs of the standalone CDs).

On 21 February 2015 at 14:08, Rob Keeney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The box set would be considered a new RG and the release would be an
> 8xCD release within the RG. As you add each disc to the release, make
> sure to use the existing standalone releases as starting points. That
> will ensure continuity of track titles and especially recordings to
> avoid having to merge them later. Let us know if you need help on how to
> do that. Regards,
> Rob..........
>
> On 2/20/2015 7:40 PM, David Monro wrote:
>> I've recently acquired a box set consisting of 8 previously released
>> discs, some of which are already in musicbrainz. Is there a sensible
>> way to handle this at the moment, or do I have to manually create a
>> new release group and release with all 8 discs in it?
>>
>> (Ideally I guess each CD would be a new release in the existing
>> release groups, and then somehow the box set would tie those all
>> together? But currently I think a release can only belong to one
>> release group?)
>>
>> The discs are in card sleeves and don't have individual barcodes, so
>> they would need to be a separate release from the original individual
>> releases.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> David

Re: Box sets of existing releases?

tommycrock

There's a proposal for a relationship so you can link the release groups together but it doesn't exist yet

On 21 Feb 2015 05:19, "David Monro" <[hidden email]> wrote:
That is what I thought I would have to do, I was just wondering if
there was a better way (since these CDs in the release associated with
the box set won't appear in the RGs of the standalone CDs).

On 21 February 2015 at 14:08, Rob Keeney <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The box set would be considered a new RG and the release would be an
> 8xCD release within the RG. As you add each disc to the release, make
> sure to use the existing standalone releases as starting points. That
> will ensure continuity of track titles and especially recordings to
> avoid having to merge them later. Let us know if you need help on how to
> do that. Regards,
> Rob..........
>
> On 2/20/2015 7:40 PM, David Monro wrote:
>> I've recently acquired a box set consisting of 8 previously released
>> discs, some of which are already in musicbrainz. Is there a sensible
>> way to handle this at the moment, or do I have to manually create a
>> new release group and release with all 8 discs in it?
>>
>> (Ideally I guess each CD would be a new release in the existing
>> release groups, and then somehow the box set would tie those all
>> together? But currently I think a release can only belong to one
>> release group?)
>>
>> The discs are in card sleeves and don't have individual barcodes, so
>> they would need to be a separate release from the original individual
>> releases.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> David

Re: Box sets of existing releases?

swisschris
There's a ticket for thisĀ http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-331 so we might soon have the possibility to link such "x in one" re-releases to the original release groups
See also the related discussionsĀ http://musicbrainz.1054305.n4.nabble.com/Changes-to-Compilation-in-Release-Group-Type-td4663634.html (and links from there if you're interested)

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 6:18 AM, David Monro <[hidden email]> wrote:
That is what I thought I would have to do, I was just wondering if
there was a better way (since these CDs in the release associated with
the box set won't appear in the RGs of the standalone CDs).

On 21 February 2015 at 14:08, Rob Keeney <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The box set would be considered a new RG and the release would be an
> 8xCD release within the RG. As you add each disc to the release, make
> sure to use the existing standalone releases as starting points. That
> will ensure continuity of track titles and especially recordings to
> avoid having to merge them later. Let us know if you need help on how to
> do that. Regards,
> Rob..........
>
> On 2/20/2015 7:40 PM, David Monro wrote:
>> I've recently acquired a box set consisting of 8 previously released
>> discs, some of which are already in musicbrainz. Is there a sensible
>> way to handle this at the moment, or do I have to manually create a
>> new release group and release with all 8 discs in it?
>>
>> (Ideally I guess each CD would be a new release in the existing
>> release groups, and then somehow the box set would tie those all
>> together? But currently I think a release can only belong to one
>> release group?)
>>
>> The discs are in card sleeves and don't have individual barcodes, so
>> they would need to be a separate release from the original individual
>> releases.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> David

Re: Box sets of existing releases?

David Monro
Sounds good. I'll try and remember to do that linking when the ticket
gets processed :)