Changing barcodes

Greg Thomas
Recently, I noticed that an edit changed the barcode of a CD I have;
http://musicbrainz.org/edit/19205547

This does mean of course that my metadata is now referring to the
wrong release. I guess there are three options;

1. Edit the barcode back to what it was; presumably the person who
made that edit, and anyone selecting that release after the edit, will
have metadata will referring to the wrong release.
2. Add a new release, with the (original) barcode. That means that
anyone who selected the original release before the barcode change
will now be referring to the wrong release.
3. Just learn to be less OCD over these things.

What's the right approach here?

Thanks,

Greg

Re: Changing barcodes

CallerNo6
Hi,

IMO:
1.In general, if you disagree with an edit, even if it's been applied
already, leave an edit note asking for an explanation and explaining
your concerns. If the editor doesn't respond to edit notes, and hasn't
provided compelling evidence, by all means correct the data in question.

2. Of the two amazon.co.uk entries for that release, one is marked
"limited edition". That, or something like it, should be added as a
disambiguation comment for the corresponding release. (An note in the
annotation explaining what the difference is would also be helpful)

3. I think you'll find that many (most?) of us speak OCD fluently.

Alex / caller#6

On 11/22/2012 05:41 PM, Greg Thomas wrote:

> Recently, I noticed that an edit changed the barcode of a CD I have;
> http://musicbrainz.org/edit/19205547
>
> This does mean of course that my metadata is now referring to the
> wrong release. I guess there are three options;
>
> 1. Edit the barcode back to what it was; presumably the person who
> made that edit, and anyone selecting that release after the edit, will
> have metadata will referring to the wrong release.
> 2. Add a new release, with the (original) barcode. That means that
> anyone who selected the original release before the barcode change
> will now be referring to the wrong release.
> 3. Just learn to be less OCD over these things.
>
> What's the right approach here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

Re: Changing barcodes

Greg Thomas
Hi Alex,

> 1.In general, if you disagree with an edit, even if it's been applied
> already, leave an edit note asking for an explanation and explaining
> your concerns. If the editor doesn't respond to edit notes, and hasn't
> provided compelling evidence, by all means correct the data in question.

Thanks, I'll go that route and see what happens ...

> 3. I think you'll find that many (most?) of us speak OCD fluently.

Drat. Looks like I won't get any help with *that* from here ;)

Greg

Re: Changing barcodes

Greg Thomas
On 25 November 2012 15:34, Greg Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
> Thanks, I'll go that route and see what happens ...

Actually, I can see that you've already followed it up and the
reversion has already been approved.

Thanks,

Greg