Classical clarification...

David Monro
Just to make sure I am reading the CSG right, before I go and rework all the releases I own...

* Track listings should have the composer(s) in the artist field.
* Recordings should have the performers in the artist field.

However, when I add a release, doesn't the track artist get copied to the recording artist (assuming 'create new recording' option is used)? Is there an easy way to avoid this? Have I missed something obvious in the interface?

( I guess I could add every recording as a standalone first, and then select each one in turn after entering the track list, but that would be amazingly tedious!)

Is there a way to bulk-edit the recording artist fields on a release? (Be nice if it could be included in the 'Edit relationships' page).

Failing that, I suspect the easiest way would be to enter the tracklist with the performers in the artist field, generate all the recordings, then go back and edit the tracklist and tell it _not_ to update the recordings with changes.

Either of the last 2 solutions would mean waiting two weeks for the edits to commit.

Oh is there any way to get the track parser to insert comma-separated artists as separate entries rather than having to click 'credits' on every single one?

Cheers

David

Re: Classical clarification...

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM, David Monro <[hidden email]> wrote:
However, when I add a release, doesn't the track artist get copied to the recording artist (assuming 'create new recording' option is used)? Is there an easy way to avoid this? Have I missed something obvious in the interface?

Yes, no and no. That's exactly why the guideline says performers on recordings are "preferred" (or something like that) rather than mandatory, because it's a huge pain with the current UI.

Is there a way to bulk-edit the recording artist fields on a release? (Be nice if it could be included in the 'Edit relationships' page).

Not at the moment.

Failing that, I suspect the easiest way would be to enter the tracklist with the performers in the artist field, generate all the recordings, then go back and edit the tracklist and tell it _not_ to update the recordings with changes.

Actually, it's easier to enter it with composers, then change them to performers (updating recordings) and then cancel the tracklist edit to leave only the recording ones. It's still an ugly hack, but it works.

Oh is there any way to get the track parser to insert comma-separated artists as separate entries rather than having to click 'credits' on every single one?

No, but there's http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/118491 which allows to change all equal credits in one go.

Re: Classical clarification...

Dibou
The point is that, on the first hand, the last CSG involve a real difference between the track artist and the recording artist and that, on the other hand, the Musicbrainz user interface was not designed taking that specific point into account.

The reason is probably that, before this CSG modification, and especially with non classical releases, track artists and recording artists were supposed to be identical in almost 99% of cases...

For example, in a track list, only track titles and track artist names are displayed (no recording title, nor recording artist showed). You have to click on the track title to get to the related recording page, on which you will see all the tracks related to this recording, but without their track artist names (only release artist and displayed)!

Editing a recording from the release editor or the relationship editor are also terribly lacking features for CSG editors.

With my limited knowledge using JIRA, I tried to propose a light improvement here http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-5083 . It wasn't a great success.

That would be great if somebody could work on those kind of issues.

Dibou