Correcting errors vs. listing them as an artist credit?

Correcting errors vs. listing them as an artist credit?

Mike Morrison
Hi all,

When should a misspelled artist name on a release be listed as an
artist credit (noting the variant spelling in the MB database for that
release), and when should it be corrected (omitting the variant
spelling from the database, except perhaps as an artist alias for
search only)?

For example, I'm wondering how the distinction is drawn between these
two examples given in the docs:

"Frontline Assembly" (Front Line Assembly), treated as an error to be
corrected, at
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Principle/Error_correction_and_artist_intent

versus

"SPY" (S.P.Y), treated as a name variation, at
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Artist_Credit

Re: Correcting errors vs. listing them as an artist credit?

Bjoern Hoehrmann
* Mike Morrison wrote:

>For example, I'm wondering how the distinction is drawn between these
>two examples given in the docs:
>
>"Frontline Assembly" (Front Line Assembly), treated as an error to be
>corrected, at
>http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Principle/Error_correction_and_artist_intent
>
>versus
>
>"SPY" (S.P.Y), treated as a name variation, at
>http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Artist_Credit

I would pronounce "SPY" the same as "S.P.Y.", but "Front Line" and
"Frontline" would come out differently.

Re: Correcting errors vs. listing them as an artist credit?

Per Starbäck
When should a misspelled artist name on a release be listed as an
artist credit (noting the variant spelling in the MB database for that
release), and when should it be corrected (omitting the variant
spelling from the database, except perhaps as an artist alias for
search only)?

I tend to care more about entering it as artist credit with variation when it's an original release by that artist.

If an anthology VA cd misspells Billie Holiday as Billie Holliday I would probably just correct it, but if it was written on a contemporary 78 record label I would bother to enter that.
This is not something I've seen as a recommendation; just something I've noticed myself doing.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would pronounce "SPY" the same as "S.P.Y.", but "Front Line" and
> "Frontline" would come out differently.

Interesting! For me it would be the opposite: I would pronounce "Front
Line" and "Frontline" the same, but "SPY" and "S.P.Y" would be
(roughly) /spaɪ/ and /ɛs.pʰi.waɪ/ respectively.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Per Starbäck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tend to care more about entering it as artist credit with variation when
> it's an original release by that artist.
>
> If an anthology VA cd misspells Billie Holiday as Billie Holliday I would
> probably just correct it, but if it was written on a contemporary 78 record
> label I would bother to enter that.
> This is not something I've seen as a recommendation; just something I've
> noticed myself doing.

Interestingly, these two examples from the MB documentation almost
seem to be recommending the opposite: the "Frontline Assembly" example
cited as an error to be corrected is from an original official album
release, while the "SPY" name variation occurs only on a couple of
tracks where he is a "feat." artist.

Re: Correcting errors vs. listing them as an artist credit?

Mike Morrison
Thanks for the replies! I'm continuing this thread on mb-style:

http://lists.musicbrainz.org/pipermail/musicbrainz-style/2013-September/019182.html