Cover Art Style Guide

Jim Duke
Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm very likely to be wrong).  I've poured over the style guide and couldn't find a style guild pertaining to Cover Art.  I can find how-to's.  I can find advice.  But not in the official style guide.  That seems to leave the rules for Cover Art somewhat vague.

I ask this because I'm planning to enhance XBMC (Kodi), to have a booklet browser function enabling you to examine the "Booklet" that is associated with the Album you're listening to (or one you're just looking at).  Sure, most releases don't have booklet art.  But of those that do, there seems to be two camps.  One camp has one image for each page.  And another camp captures two pages at once (except for the front and back).  I suppose that I could detect it by examining the height vs width ratio.

But in any case, we should have a discussion on which way is preferred, or if both is allowed, or if we need to enhance the schema to better indicate the kind of image it is.  It seems, however, that the results of this discussion should be captured in the style guide.

Has this been discussed before?  I've tried searching the archives; but "Cover Art" sweeps in far too many items that have nothing to do with Cover Art.

Also - not that I want to change it just to change it - just making an observation.  It seems that "Cover Art" is somewhat too narrow a description.  "Artwork" would seem to be a better label for the category in general; or even "Imagery".

From the ranks of terribly-confused-but-trying-to-help.

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

Rachel Dwight

On Jan 13, 2015, at 6:25 PM, Jim Duke <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm very likely to be wrong).  I've poured over the style guide and couldn't find a style guild pertaining to Cover Art.  I can find how-to's.  I can find advice.  But not in the official style guide.  That seems to leave the rules for Cover Art somewhat vague.

I don’t think we have a style guide proper, just a few recommendations (e.g. scan at 300 dpi).

Sure, most releases don't have booklet art.

Huh? Most of the releases I have have some form of booklet (aside from digital ones)
.
  But of those that do, there seems to be two camps.  One camp has one image for each page.  And another camp captures two pages at once (except for the front and back).  I suppose that I could detect it by examining the height vs width ratio.

But in any case, we should have a discussion on which way is preferred, or if both is allowed, or if we need to enhance the schema to better indicate the kind of image it is.  It seems, however, that the results of this discussion should be captured in the style guide.

That will be tricky. I usually gauge whether I want to scan one or two pages at a time by the thickness of a booklet. Most are thin enough that you can scan two pages at once and the resulting image will be readable, but some are so thick that if you try to scan two pages at once the resulting image will be blurry and distorted.

It’s been brought up a few times, mainly in IRC and http://forums.musicbrainz.org/viewtopic.php?id=4308. I don’t think we’ve ever had a lengthy discussion about it in mb-style before.

Also - not that I want to change it just to change it - just making an observation.  It seems that "Cover Art" is somewhat too narrow a description.  "Artwork" would seem to be a better label for the category in general; or even "Imagery”.

Yeah, that might be more feasible, especially for digital releases where the artist bundles image files with the music.

From the ranks of terribly-confused-but-trying-to-help.

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

Duke Yin
One camp has one image for each page.  And another camp captures two pages at once (except for the front and back). ... we should have a discussion on which way is preferred, or if both is allowed
Of course both are allowed. So are tetromino foldouts:

I can't imagine an easy way to "enhance" the schema that would give you the functionality you want while still allowing valid cover art.  (Measuring the aspect ratio won't get you there either - what if the booklet is a (deck of) card(s), and it's physically impossible for the front and back of the card to be side-by-side?)

"Cover Art" sweeps in far too many items that have nothing to do with Cover Art. ... It seems that "Cover Art" is somewhat too narrow a description.  "Artwork" would seem to be a better label for the category in general; or even "Imagery".
https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Cover_Art/Types doesn't look to me like it sweeps in any image types that have "nothing to do with Cover Art".  Do you have some example MB Releases where you believe the cover art does not belong?

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 7:25 PM, Jim Duke <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From the ranks of terribly-confused-but-trying-to-help.

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

Jim Duke
My original post was intended to also point out that there is no style guide for Cover Art.  Sorry if I didn't make that clear.  Does one exist?  (I can't find it)  Or could it be simply because no one in the community has written one?  (I don't think the How-to counts, nor does the Wiki)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 8:12 PM, Duke Yin <[hidden email]> wrote:
One camp has one image for each page.  And another camp captures two pages at once (except for the front and back). ... we should have a discussion on which way is preferred, or if both is allowed
Of course both are allowed. So are tetromino foldouts:

Fascinating.  This is pretty cool.  No, I suppose it won't.  All the more reason to have a way to describe the form of the original "booklet".  I don't want to abandon my desire to add a feature just because there are some outlying cases that make it hard.

I can't imagine an easy way to "enhance" the schema that would give you the functionality you want while still allowing valid cover art.  (Measuring the aspect ratio won't get you there either - what if the booklet is a (deck of) card(s), and it's physically impossible for the front and back of the card to be side-by-side?)

I think it could be as simple as a finite list of formats; along the line of how a release packaging is handled.  Call it "booklet format".  You could have "Booklet" - meaning something that multiple pages, folded and bound and operates like a book with pages.  Or it could simply be an "Insert", which is simply a single piece of paper with art on both sides.  Or it could be a "Deck of Cards" that imply an order with items with images on the front and back.  Or it could be a "foldout" or some such.  I expect there would be a finite list.  The idea is that an application that is presenting the art has some means to know how to replicate the experience a user would have had with the real artwork in hand.  Obviously you can't fully replicate it.  But we're all familiar with apps that give the impression of turning pages and such motions.  But to do that properly I need more information.  Do you turn pages?  Do you turn them from right to left (as in most Western languages), or left to right (as in Hebrew and other eastern languages).  Do you turn them up?  (like a calendar).  Do you show an open book (both facing pages open at once, side by side); or just one at a time (like a card).  I think the list would be fairly short and be able to encapsulate all that information.  Certainly this complex foldout would be particularly challenging to replicate.  Why should one particularly difficult case prevent us from supporting the easier cases first?

"Cover Art" sweeps in far too many items that have nothing to do with Cover Art. ... It seems that "Cover Art" is somewhat too narrow a description.  "Artwork" would seem to be a better label for the category in general; or even "Imagery".
https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Cover_Art/Types doesn't look to me like it sweeps in any image types that have "nothing to do with Cover Art".  Do you have some example MB Releases where you believe the cover art does not belong?

Perhaps I'm not with the program; but it seems to me that "Cover Art" is the Art that is on the Cover.  I definitely could be wrong though.  I didn't want that comment to be a serious suggested change, however.  So I won't say any more.

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

Rachel Dwight

On Jan 13, 2015, at 6:25 PM, Jim Duke <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm very likely to be wrong).  I've poured over the style guide and couldn't find a style guild pertaining to Cover Art.  I can find how-to's.  I can find advice.  But not in the official style guide.  That seems to leave the rules for Cover Art somewhat vague.

We don’t really have a style guide for cover art. We do have http://musicbrainz.org/doc/How_to_Add_Cover_Art which contains a few recommendations (e.g. scanning around 300 dpi; this is mostly for practicality reasons).

Sure, most releases don't have booklet art.

If you mean digital releases, then yes. Most of the physical media I have have some sort of booklet.

  But of those that do, there seems to be two camps.  One camp has one image for each page.  And another camp captures two pages at once (except for the front and back).  I suppose that I could detect it by examining the height vs width ratio.

I can’t speak for every case, but a lot of times that has to do with the thickness of the booklet. On most CD releases the booklet is thin enough that you can scan 2 pages at once and the image will be readable, but some are so thick that if you try to scan 2 pages at once (especially on the first and last pages) the center of the image will be blurry and distorted.

I’m not aware of it being discussed in mb-style before. It has been brought up in IRC and in the forums (namely this thread: http://forums.musicbrainz.org/viewtopic.php?id=4308)

Also - not that I want to change it just to change it - just making an observation.  It seems that "Cover Art" is somewhat too narrow a description.  "Artwork" would seem to be a better label for the category in general; or even "Imagery”.

The term is a holdover from when music was mostly distributed on physical media. Now with digital distribution the sense of a physical “cover” has been lost but accompanying images are still a thing. “Artwork” might be good in this sense. I’ve added releases with accompanying wallpapers, sketches and stuff; these would not traditionally be deemed “cover art” but they were packaged with the audio nonetheless.

From the ranks of terribly-confused-but-trying-to-help.

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

Jim Duke

Sure, most releases don't have booklet art.

If you mean digital releases, then yes. Most of the physical media I have have some sort of booklet.

I think I wasn't clear enough here.  Most actual releases do have booklets in my experience.  I was referring to what is actually captured in MB.  My experience is only cursory and not exhaustive; but it seems that most CD releases in MB haven't had any booklet images added - in spite of the fact that the CD release itself probably has a booklet.

I'm thinking of this problem from the perspective of an external application which seeks to benefit from the MB database.  I haven't seen any online database besides MB that contains booklet images.  Lots with front cover images.  Many with fan art.  Few with back images.  I've only seen MB to have things like "Tray" or "Booklet".  My point here was that even though MB has the ability to store booklets; most of the entries don't take advantage of it.  That's been my observation - admittedly anecdotal.  For my own collection I'm (slowly) scanning the booklets and adding them to MB (10 down, 490 to go, sigh).
  But of those that do, there seems to be two camps.  One camp has one image for each page.  And another camp captures two pages at once (except for the front and back).  I suppose that I could detect it by examining the height vs width ratio.

I can’t speak for every case, but a lot of times that has to do with the thickness of the booklet. On most CD releases the booklet is thin enough that you can scan 2 pages at once and the image will be readable, but some are so thick that if you try to scan 2 pages at once (especially on the first and last pages) the center of the image will be blurry and distorted.

My point here is that is that my application, which will be consuming these images and displaying them to users in  a booklet manner needs to know if the image is of one page or of two pages.  There is nothing in the schema to tell me.  And as has been pointed out by Duke Yin in another reply to this post, not everything marked "booklet" is a traditional booklet.  So, I need to know several things about the booklet images.  I need to know their order (that's in the schema).  I need to know the way the images should be presented to the user and how the user should interact with them (in order to recreate the feel of the "booklet").  And I need to know how to handle the images.

My preference is to upload each page as a separate image.  In the order of how you would read the booklet.  I scan them two pages at a time - and if the booklet is too thick; I remove the binding and scan the separate pieces of paper.  But that's rarely necessary.  After scanning, I crop each individual page.  I don't upload groups of two pages.  I do that because I'm mindful of what is the most flexible format for other applications.  I'd rather join two images together, than have to pick a dividing line and cut it (in an automated program) into two separate images.

I understand the reasons some upload two pages at once.  1) it's easier and faster; and 2) in the web interface, it kinda-sorta replicates the open book feel.

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

tommycrock
[...]

I tend to do whichever makes sense to me (!) If the page is just a page I would (tend to) just put in the single page. If there's an image across two (or three) pages I put them in as one. So I try to put it in how I'd like to see it. Same for the inside of gatefold covers. I think someone else mentioned this once on the forum but can't remember.
And yes, there's quite a lot of ways the metadata about release art could be improved - page numbers/layout info being one. But at least at the moment it's relatively simple :)

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

Wieland Hoffmann-2
Hallo Jim Duke:

> Sure, most releases don't have booklet art.
>

> > If you mean digital releases, then yes. Most of the physical media I have
> > have some sort of booklet.
> >
> I think I wasn't clear enough here.  Most actual releases do have booklets
> in my experience.  I was referring to what is actually captured in MB.  My
> experience is only cursory and not exhaustive; but it seems that most CD
> releases in MB haven't had any booklet images added - in spite of the fact
> that the CD release itself probably has a booklet.

I think this is mostly a matter of time people are willing/able to
invest into adding cover art - as you have noted, finding front/back
images for a release is fairly easy. Booklets and other types of cover
art, on the other hand, usually require that you

a) have a scanner
b) own the release
c) have time that you can spend scanning images
d) care about making booklets available online

Especially c) and d) are a chicken and egg problem: unless there's an
application that makes viewing booklet images a pleasant experience,
it's hard to convince people to spend the time making these images
available, but without those images, developing such an application is
probably not much fun :-)

--
Wieland

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

Jim Duke
Hello Wieland Hoffmann,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 8:16 AM, Wieland Hoffmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hallo Jim Duke:
> Sure, most releases don't have booklet art.
>

> > If you mean digital releases, then yes. Most of the physical media I have
> > have some sort of booklet.
> >
> I think I wasn't clear enough here.  Most actual releases do have booklets
> in my experience.  I was referring to what is actually captured in MB.  My
> experience is only cursory and not exhaustive; but it seems that most CD
> releases in MB haven't had any booklet images added - in spite of the fact
> that the CD release itself probably has a booklet.

I think this is mostly a matter of time people are willing/able to
invest into adding cover art - as you have noted, finding front/back
images for a release is fairly easy. Booklets and other types of cover
art, on the other hand, usually require that you

a) have a scanner
Check
b) own the release
Check
c) have time that you can spend scanning images
Always a challenge
d) care about making booklets available online
Obviously in my case since I started this thread focused on booklets.

Especially c) and d) are a chicken and egg problem: unless there's an
application that makes viewing booklet images a pleasant experience,
it's hard to convince people to spend the time making these images
available, but without those images, developing such an application is
probably not much fun :-)

I came to MusicBrainz because I wanted to improve my classical music listening experience.  I started by totally reripping my CD collection (around 550 discs), and then selecting the system of applications I wanted to use to listen to the music.  At the center of that app universe I eventually chose Kodi (formerly XBMC) because it has OK music support, it's open source and has an active development community, it supports UPNP/DLNA and transcoding processes, and it is highly configurable.  As I dug into Kodi it became clear that  to get the classical music experience I wanted I would need to write it myself.  The core developers aren't that interested.

As I was developing my classical music listening dreams I was quickly led to MusicBrainz which has some features that seem to be unique to MusicBrainz (the concept of Works, extensive support for artist relationships) that are of interest to me as a classical music listener.  It also has booklet support.  My dream is to have a view in Kodi that replicates in an electronic 10 foot interface way the experience I used to have when thumbing through my CD collection to pick what I wanted to hear.  In that process from days long past I would like to look at the works performed, who performed them.  I might take a peak at the booklet.  Then, once I made my selection, I would settle down in that perfect seat with booklet in hand and peruse the booklet while listening to the music.  Nirvana.  That is what I want to replicate.  And I know that if I want it - I'll need to build it myself.  I'm also interested in extending the Android tablet interface to Kodi so that I can browse booklets from the tablet.

The problem that I raise in this thread is the metadata support I'd like to see in order build these applications.  I can actually work with what is in place now.  But added metadata will help my application produce better results for a wider variety of booklet images.  Right now I need to make some assumptions that will, frankly, work well with the entries I add.  But might not look so good for entries that follow a different style.  If there were more metadata available; I could adapt my application to present the images better by using that metadata.  Style guidelines would help also, since I could build my application assumptions and defaults to work best for images that conform to the guidelines.

- Jim

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

rossetyler
Jim,

I appreciate your effort and agree that it would be nice to have some
guidance to help.
I have added much scanned cover art and have taken care to add the
booklet discriminators that you would need.
As there is no structural support for such information, I have added
them as comments – but, perhaps in not the same fashion as you have/would.

I too think that one should be able to reproduce the booklet viewing
experience using MB as a source.
To that end, each of my booklet comments describes the form factor of
the booklet (e.g., card, bi-fold, tri-fold, saddle-stitched) and the
index of the image taken from it (e.g. cover, inside/outside, 1, 2, 3).
I do not attempt to paginate my indeces but, rather, try to keep the
presented to the user as the user would see them in front of them.
This means that a saddle stitched booklet cover is often presented as
just the MB types "Front, Booklet" but the whole cover (as experienced
by the user by unfolding it would be Front,Booklet "saddle stictched,
cover".
If a {bi,tri,x-fold}, I usually call this "x-fold, outside" (fully
unfolded) with the other side "x-fold, inside (fully unfolded)".
For the remainder of a saddle stitched booklet, I simple number the
inside spreads (as a user would experience the *physical* booklet),
indexed by 1, 2, 3, etc (e.g. "saddle stitched, 1" for the first inside
spread).
I purposefully don't split a spread into pages (because, often, that is
not the way it intended to be consumed) or use booklet page numbers
(because the don't lend any useful reassembly information).
I simply comment on what part and what type of booklet.

I try not to make up booklet type names. Most of them are either saddle
stitched or follow a well known folded brochure form so I try to find
and use that name.
Sometime the "booklet" unfolds into a poster.

Here are some examples of the way I do things.

http://musicbrainz.org/release/920b593e-b79d-4e0d-904f-5f3f49e2f064/cover-art
http://musicbrainz.org/release/98d6d2b9-d173-3313-a5d9-c740753c1a66/cover-art
http://musicbrainz.org/release/200fb8d3-d2b0-446c-b226-b760e3c830b1/cover-art
http://musicbrainz.org/release/9bbd5297-86cf-4d34-8a60-f72d3765e8a2/cover-art

On 01/14/2015 07:07 AM, Jim Duke wrote:

> I came to MusicBrainz because I wanted to improve my classical music
> listening experience. I started by totally reripping my CD collection
> (around 550 discs), and then selecting the system of applications I
> wanted to use to listen to the music. At the center of that app
> universe I eventually chose Kodi (formerly XBMC) because it has OK
> music support, it's open source and has an active development
> community, it supports UPNP/DLNA and transcoding processes, and it is
> highly configurable. As I dug into Kodi it became clear that to get
> the classical music experience I wanted I would need to write it
> myself. The core developers aren't that interested.
>
> As I was developing my classical music listening dreams I was quickly
> led to MusicBrainz which has some features that seem to be unique to
> MusicBrainz (the concept of Works, extensive support for artist
> relationships) that are of interest to me as a classical music
> listener. It also has booklet support. My dream is to have a view in
> Kodi that replicates in an electronic 10 foot interface way the
> experience I used to have when thumbing through my CD collection to
> pick what I wanted to hear. In that process from days long past I
> would like to look at the works performed, who performed them. I might
> take a peak at the booklet. Then, once I made my selection, I would
> settle down in that perfect seat with booklet in hand and peruse the
> booklet while listening to the music. Nirvana. That is what I want to
> replicate. And I know that if I want it - I'll need to build it
> myself. I'm also interested in extending the Android tablet interface
> to Kodi so that I can browse booklets from the tablet.
>
> The problem that I raise in this thread is the metadata support I'd
> like to see in order build these applications. I can actually work
> with what is in place now. But added metadata will help my application
> produce better results for a wider variety of booklet images. Right
> now I need to make some assumptions that will, frankly, work well with
> the entries I add. But might not look so good for entries that follow
> a different style. If there were more metadata available; I could
> adapt my application to present the images better by using that
> metadata. Style guidelines would help also, since I could build my
> application assumptions and defaults to work best for images that
> conform to the guidelines.

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

tommycrock

I appreciate your standardised terminology -- I knew there must be standard terms for the names I was giving things

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

Bill Purosky
For mine, I number all the pages in the book style booklets and I label the fold out type "obverse" and "reverse".  I'd like to see some guidelines also so we can all get on the same page.

Examples:
http://musicbrainz.org/release/e7c31322-9108-4452-8f85-7871edfd7d9a/cover-art
http://musicbrainz.org/release/a1097a97-2e4a-4749-9454-7389d477815c/cover-art

On Jan 14, 2015, at 8:40 PM, Bill Purosky <[hidden email]> wrote:

For mine, I number all the pages in the book style booklets and I label the fold out type "obverse" and "reverse".  I'd like to see some guidelines also so we can all get on the same page.

Examples:
http://musicbrainz.org/release/e7c31322-9108-4452-8f85-7871edfd7d9a/cover-art
http://musicbrainz.org/release/a1097a97-2e4a-4749-9454-7389d477815c/cover-art

I used to do that as a matter of course, but now I generally only do so if there is more than one booklet (many Japanese releases by foreign artists will have 1 booklet with the actual lyrics and another with translations of the lyrics).
[...]

Georg Kretschmer

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

MeinDummy
+1 for having a guideline.

Some other things to cover there are:
- valid file formats
- no watermarked images
- resolution: min. 500x500 (with exceptions: downloads that only come with lower resolution cover art, rare physical releases where gogling only provides some low-rez scans, ...)
- no image distortion or rotation, no artifacts (like a photo with reflection from camera flash) (similar exceptions as before)
- images should be cropped to the cover edge
- type assignment (e.g. back+spine)
- content of the comment field (nothing like "my scan", "from google", pixel size etc.; "page X" for booklet pages; ...)
- ordering (front, booklet, media, tray, back)

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

tommycrock

I broadly agree with a lot of this (below) but much of it feels like a how-to and recommendations
On 16 Jan 2015 09:08, "MeinDummy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for having a guideline.
>
> Some other things to cover there are:
> - valid file formats
> - no watermarked images
There's a watermark flag if it's all that can be got
> - resolution: min. 500x500 (with exceptions: downloads that only come with
> lower resolution cover art, rare physical releases where gogling only
> provides some low-rez scans, ...)
> - no image distortion or rotation, no artifacts (like a photo with
> reflection from camera flash) (similar exceptions as before)
> - images should be cropped to the cover edge
These seem like good suggestions but doesn't need cannonising. If they aren't so good they can be replaced.
> - type assignment (e.g. back+spine)
> - content of the comment field (nothing like "my scan", "from google", pixel
> size etc.; "page X" for booklet pages; ...)
> - ordering (front, booklet, media, tray, back)
I prefer the discogs order http://www.discogs.com/help/submission-guidelines-images.html or the one MusicBrainz attributes are presented: front then back (along with the spine they're the first two bits you would normally see and most often present in the db)

Re: Cover Art Style Guide

Staffan Vilcans

16 januari 2015, MeinDummy <[hidden email]> skrev:

+1 for having a guideline.

Some other things to cover there are:
- valid file formats
- no watermarked images
- resolution: min. 500x500 (with exceptions: downloads that only come with
lower resolution cover art, rare physical releases where gogling only
provides some low-rez scans, ...)
- no image distortion or rotation, no artifacts (like a photo with
reflection from camera flash) (similar exceptions as before)
- images should be cropped to the cover edge
- type assignment (e.g. back+spine)
- content of the comment field (nothing like "my scan", "from google", pixel
size etc.; "page X" for booklet pages; ...)
- ordering (front, booklet, media, tray, back)

Another thing is the labelling of items. For instance a scan of the first and last page of a booklet on a CD. The first page is the cover, but should it be put as cover if it only contains the cover ir should that be only for images that actually are the cover and nothing else?