Getting TuneIn to recognize an artist

Crystal Hamaker

Hello All,

I’m not sure if this is the place to write or not, I’m very new to this. If I’m not contacting the correct group will you please direct me to who I should contact?

My name is Crystal Hamaker, I am the PR Representative for Josh Stone, and independent artist based in Miami, FL. I created a profile on MusicBrainz for Josh several months ago, with a lot of help from editor Senax. The profile was approved (thanks to Senax’s help) and I believe everything is correct.

The problem I am having is that the TuneIn app/site is still not recognizing Josh Stone’s profile. And every time that one of Josh’s songs is played by a station TuneIn shows a picture of one of JOSS Stone’s albums. I have contacted TuneIn regarding this and they are the ones who originally told me to create a profile with MusicBrainz for Josh Stone. However it has been several months since the profile was created and the problem has not been resolved. It is very frustrating.

Do any of you have any suggestions as how to resolve this problem?

Thank you all for your time and assistance.

Crystal Hamaker,

Josh Stone PR,

Lethal Chaos PR,

Co-owner www.mojoradio.us

DJ “Crystal Myth”

Struckgold Music

Re: Getting TuneIn to recognize an artist

Ian McEwen
We've (me, reosarevok, and hawke) done a bit of investigating over in the IRC channel, #musicbrainz-devel, and it looks like Joss Stone has an alias of Josh Stone (erroneously). This may suggest that TuneIn is using search results in a strange fashion, though at present it looks like Josh Stone correctly appears above Joss Stone in search results even through the webservice. Nevertheless, you may ask them to review their method of determining the correct artist, since it seems they're preferencing the alias above the real name, or caching extensively in a way that's proving destructive.

We've also noticed that both Josh Stone and Josh Stone have an alias of "J Stone" (though only in the webservice, strangely), which may or may not be relevant, but could be resulting in some sort of erroneous merging of the two if that's TuneIn's data source.

http://musicbrainz.org/edit/18703738 removes the alias, which may improve the situation once it passes at the top of this hour (given it's already got three yes votes). If you could a.) check how things appear once that edit's been applied and b.) follow up with TuneIn, passing along my suggestions above, and then check back here, that'd be appreciated! Additionally, point them at #musicbrainz-devel on FreeNode if they'd like some extra eyes looking at their usage of MusicBrainz.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 04:19:43PM -0600, Crystal Hamaker wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the place to write or not, I'm very new to this. If
> I'm not contacting the correct group will you please direct me to who I
> should contact?
>

> My name is Crystal Hamaker, I am the PR Representative for Josh Stone, and
> independent artist based in Miami, FL. I created a profile on MusicBrainz
> for Josh several months ago, with a lot of help from editor Senax. The
> profile was approved (thanks to Senax's help) and I believe everything is
> correct.
>

> The problem I am having is that the TuneIn app/site is still not recognizing
> Josh Stone's profile. And every time that one of Josh's songs is played by a
> station TuneIn shows a picture of one of JOSS Stone's albums. I have
> contacted TuneIn regarding this and they are the ones who originally told me
> to create a profile with MusicBrainz for Josh Stone. However it has been
> several months since the profile was created and the problem has not been
> resolved. It is very frustrating.
>

> Do any of you have any suggestions as how to resolve this problem?
>

> Thank you all for your time and assistance.
>
> Crystal Hamaker,
>
> Josh Stone PR,
>
> Lethal Chaos PR,
>
> Co-owner www.mojoradio.us
>
> DJ "Crystal Myth"
>
> Struckgold Music

Ian McEwen <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
A262 D5C4 40CB 0E1C 5F24 C3A1 ABED 1ABD 7131 A76F
http://ianmcorvidae.net/

Re: Getting TuneIn to recognize an artist

Crystal Hamaker
Thank you very much. I will follow up with you as soon as I am able to observe the TuneIn app while one of Josh's songs is being played and see if the removal of the J Stone alias resolves the issue.

I REALLY appreciate your time. I also really appreciate all of the work that goes into MusicBrainz! It's amazing how dedicated everyone is to providing accurate information through MusicBrainz.

Thank you,
Crystal

On Aug 13, 2012, at 5:25 PM, Ian McEwen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> station TuneIn shows a picture of one of JOSS Stone's albums. I have
>> contacted TuneIn regarding this and they are the ones who originally told me
>> to create a profile with MusicBrainz for Josh Stone. However it has been
>> several months since the profile was created and the problem has not been
>> resolved. It is very frustrating.
>>

>> Do any of you have any suggestions as how to resolve this problem?
>>

>> Thank you all for your time and assistance.
>>
>> Crystal Hamaker,
>>
>> Josh Stone PR,
>>
>> Lethal Chaos PR,
>>
>> Co-owner www.mojoradio.us
>>
>> DJ "Crystal Myth"
>>
>> Struckgold Music

> Ian McEwen <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
> A262 D5C4 40CB 0E1C 5F24 C3A1 ABED 1ABD 7131 A76F
> http://ianmcorvidae.net/

Re: Getting TuneIn to recognize an artist

Hi Ian,
Yesterday I was able to see TuneIn while Josh Stone's music was playing. It's now showing one of his album covers. However it is showing the cover of his first album "X" for songs off of his new album "The Darkness".

What do I need to do now?

I appreciate ALL of your assistance in this matter.

Thank you,
Crystal Hamaker,
Josh Stone PR

Unfortunately, for this one you'll need to ask TuneIn what's going on -- from our end there's no discernable difference between the two albums. Looking at last.fm, it seems they have an album cover for only one of the two; it may be they simply haven't updated their data, and the same may be true of TuneIn. But you should probably ask them what's going on there, if you can :)