IRC discussions

Nikolai Prokoschenko
Administrator

Hi, guys,

Currently, most of Musicbrainz communication happens on IRC. Many ideas
get discussed and real progress is made. However, some of us are not
constantly on IRC and not everyone is in the same time zone. So it is a
rather important to follow the whole backlog to get a good grip of what's
happening, but it is just too time consuming in most cases. Another
problem is that even if a developer gets back home and reads the backlog,
the discussion might have finished a long time ago.

What we need is some way to inform developers not on IRC about what
happened and what has been discussed and set in stone. Important
decisions should also probably be at least announced outside of IRC. An
obvious solution would be taking the discussion to the mailing list, but
that'd be killing the positive effect of live IRC discussion. Another
possibility would be somehow recapping every single day on our channel(s)
("brianfreud is down to 580 failing tests from 6000, ruaok is jet-lagging
in geneva, nikki proposed something about the new wiki"), but that's a
lot of work for a single person in the long run.

At the meeting today several people said they have some ideas how to
tackle this problem. So please speak up, now is the time!

Nikolai.

Re: IRC discussions

Kuno Woudt
On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 01:47:21AM +0000, Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:

> Currently, most of Musicbrainz communication happens on IRC. Many ideas
> get discussed and real progress is made. However, some of us are not
> constantly on IRC and not everyone is in the same time zone. So it is a
> rather important to follow the whole backlog to get a good grip of what's
> happening, but it is just too time consuming in most cases. Another
> problem is that even if a developer gets back home and reads the backlog,
> the discussion might have finished a long time ago.
>
> What we need is some way to inform developers not on IRC about what
> happened and what has been discussed and set in stone. Important
> decisions should also probably be at least announced outside of IRC.

I don't think _important_ decisions should be made on irc at all.  And I
do not believe that they currently are being made on irc.  What I see
going on on irc is mostly coordinating between developers, and some
decisions made on implementation details.  But that's just my impression.

> At the meeting today several people said they have some ideas how to
> tackle this problem. So please speak up, now is the time!

The only idea I had, which likely won't work, but I'll mention it
anyway:

Move development discussions to #musicbrain-dev, this requires some
discipline on the part of developers. But with some initial effort
in policing both channels consistently, it could work,... in theory.

(Reading a log of merely development discussions should be more
manageable than the main channel with all of its off-topic and unrelated
discussions.)

-- kuno.

Re: IRC discussions

Philipp Wolfer-3

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Kuno Woudt <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 01:47:21AM +0000, Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:

> What we need is some way to inform developers not on IRC about what
> happened and what has been discussed and set in stone. Important
> decisions should also probably be at least announced outside of IRC.

I don't think _important_ decisions should be made on irc at all.  And I
do not believe that they currently are being made on irc.  What I see
going on on irc is mostly coordinating between developers, and some
decisions made on implementation details.  But that's just my impression.

Yes, I completely agree on this. I don't even think it is currently necessary to always read the backlogs. It's quite normal that there happens a lot of ad hoc chatting around different important topics, but I don't want to follow every chat. When there was something interesting discussed which should lead to important decisions being made the results of such a discussion should be made public on the mailing list so they can continue there.

Move development discussions to #musicbrain-dev, this requires some
discipline on the part of developers. But with some initial effort
in policing both channels consistently, it could work,... in theory.

Good suggestion which could work with some discipline.

--
Philipp Wolfer