Instruments, what is a Trắng lu?

Maurits Meulenbelt
Hi,

There's an instrument in the instrument tree called a trắng lu (with a bass variant,
trắng jâu). However, there's no description of it, Wikipedia doesn't know it and Google searches for it don't come up with relevant results.
As I'm currently translating the instrument table to Dutch and adding descriptions wherever there aren't any, this stings me. But since it was once added to MusicBrainz, there must be someone here who can shed a light on this instrument. It's not on http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Instrument_Tree/Recently_Added or http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Instrument_Tree/Requests though.

Re: Instruments, what is a Trắng lu?

Philip Jägenstedt
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Maurits Meulenbelt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There's an instrument in the instrument tree called a trắng lu (with a bass
> variant, trắng jâu). However, there's no description of it, Wikipedia
> doesn't know it and Google searches for it don't come up with relevant
> results.
> As I'm currently translating the instrument table to Dutch and adding
> descriptions wherever there aren't any, this stings me. But since it was
> once added to MusicBrainz, there must be someone here who can shed a light
> on this instrument. It's not on
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Instrument_Tree/Recently_Added or
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Instrument_Tree/Requests though.

This looks a lot like Vietnamese, so I asked my wife to have a look,
but she says that it's gibberish. On the other hand, Trống is a drum.
lu and jâu are jibberish, she says. Maybe it isn't actually
Vietnamese, or maybe the name has been mutated in liner notes or
something.

--
Philip Jägenstedt

Re: Instruments, what is a Trắng lu?

Ian McEwen
After using SQL directly to query the database, I have determined these
instruments are used exactly once each at present, both as links to:

http://musicbrainz.org/artist/b8085bd9-08cf-42c6-8896-4e6b8f8c58fd

From recordings:

http://musicbrainz.org/recording/860be57b-bb63-43ac-8a99-c09ca9652a3c

and

http://musicbrainz.org/recording/e31cf360-2801-4cf5-92a6-23a42ef02ea9

I don't know of a way to find this except querying the database
directly, unfortunately, but what I did was:

> select * from link_attribute_type where name ~ 'ng lu';

(this tells me the trang lu is link_attribute_type 390, one with 'ng j'
told me the other one is 391 -- these should probably be the same for
you)

> select * from link join link_attribute on link_attribute.link = link.id
where attribute_type in (390, 391);

(this tells me the link IDs for anything using these two link attribute
types (yes, instruments are link attribute types) -- I got 13305 and
13306 only, both of them with 'link_type' of 148)

> select * from link_type where id = 148;

(this shows me this link is an artist-recording link, by the
entity_type0 and entity_type1 columns)

> select * from l_artist_recording where link in (13305, 13306);

(this shows me the entity0 [in this case artist] and entity1 [in this
case recording] lines for those links -- I got entity0 280691 and
entity1 4474099 and 4474092)

> select * from artist where id = 280691;

(from the gid column, I know the MBID -- could do likewise for
recordings, if you'd like)

You could also do a complicated join on these tables, if you wanted to
script it, but hopefully that's not necessary.

Hope this helps!

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:03:42AM +0200, Maurits Meulenbelt wrote:

> Is there a way to find releases or recordings with this relationship?
>
> Op 13-6-2012 20:53, Philip Jägenstedt schreef:
> >On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Maurits Meulenbelt
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>There's an instrument in the instrument tree called a trắng lu (with a bass
> >>variant, trắng jâu). However, there's no description of it, Wikipedia
> >>doesn't know it and Google searches for it don't come up with relevant
> >>results.
> >>As I'm currently translating the instrument table to Dutch and adding
> >>descriptions wherever there aren't any, this stings me. But since it was
> >>once added to MusicBrainz, there must be someone here who can shed a light
> >>on this instrument. It's not on
> >>http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Instrument_Tree/Recently_Added or
> >>http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Instrument_Tree/Requests though.
> >This looks a lot like Vietnamese, so I asked my wife to have a look,
> >but she says that it's gibberish. On the other hand, Trống is a drum.
> >lu and jâu are jibberish, she says. Maybe it isn't actually
> >Vietnamese, or maybe the name has been mutated in liner notes or
> >something.

Ian McEwen <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
A262 D5C4 40CB 0E1C 5F24 C3A1 ABED 1ABD 7131 A76F
http://ianmcorvidae.net/

Re: Instruments, what is a Trắng lu?

Kuno Woudt
On 14/06/12 00:29, Ian McEwen wrote:

> After using SQL directly to query the database, I have determined these
> instruments are used exactly once each at present, both as links to:
>
> http://musicbrainz.org/artist/b8085bd9-08cf-42c6-8896-4e6b8f8c58fd
>
>  From recordings:
>
> http://musicbrainz.org/recording/860be57b-bb63-43ac-8a99-c09ca9652a3c
>
> and
>
> http://musicbrainz.org/recording/e31cf360-2801-4cf5-92a6-23a42ef02ea9

There are scans of that release on the internets.

http://all.hdvnbits.org/name/nm0000134/music_from_vietnam_3_ethnic_minorities_1995_flac_t36346.html

perhaps the swedish messed up the tracklist?

-- kuno / warp.

Re: Instruments, what is a Trắng lu?

practik
Philip Jägenstedt wrote
This looks a lot like Vietnamese, so I asked my wife to have a look,
but she says that it's gibberish. On the other hand, Trống is a drum.
lu and jâu are jibberish, she says. Maybe it isn't actually
Vietnamese, or maybe the name has been mutated in liner notes or
something.
Kuno Woudt wrote
Judging by the scans, it's more likely Hmong written with Vietnamese orthography.  Trắng (Vietnamese) ≈ ʈaŋ (International Phonetic Alphabet) ≈ raaj (Romanized Popular Alphabet*).  Lots of Google hits for "Hmong flute raaj."

Patrick

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanized_Popular_Alphabet