InterWiki links

Lukáš Lalinský
What do you think about adding InterWiki links like:

Ticket http://test.musicbrainz.org/trac/ticket/
Artist http://musicbrainz.org/artist/$PAGE.html
Album http://musicbrainz.org/album/$PAGE.html
Track http://musicbrainz.org/track/$PAGE.html

to MoinMoin's intermap.txt? This will allow us to use simpler wiki syntax, for
example:

Ticket:1009 instead of [http://test.musicbrainz.org/trac/ticket/1009 Ticket 1009]

[wiki:Artist:f4c53778-e48d-4da4-9ddd-cc007f715d64 Alan Silvestri] instead of
[http://musicbrainz.org/artist/f4c53778-e48d-4da4-9ddd-cc007f715d64.html Alan
Silvestri]

Also it will add InterWiki icon in front of the link, which I think fits better
than current external link icon.

Lukas

Re: InterWiki links

Matthew Exon-2
LukᚠLalinský wrote:

>What do you think about adding InterWiki links like:
>
>Ticket http://test.musicbrainz.org/trac/ticket/
>Artist http://musicbrainz.org/artist/$PAGE.html
>Album http://musicbrainz.org/album/$PAGE.html
>Track http://musicbrainz.org/track/$PAGE.html
>
>to MoinMoin's intermap.txt? This will allow us to use simpler wiki syntax,
>for example:
>
>Ticket:1009 instead of [http://test.musicbrainz.org/trac/ticket/1009 Ticket
>1009]
>
>[wiki:Artist:f4c53778-e48d-4da4-9ddd-cc007f715d64 Alan Silvestri] instead
>of [http://musicbrainz.org/artist/f4c53778-e48d-4da4-9ddd-cc007f715d64.html
>Alan Silvestri]

This artist example is actually *harder* to enter as an interwiki link than
it is as a normal link, even if it's shorter.  You can't just copy and paste
the URL, you have to strip out a ginormous string from the middle, and then
type in a bunch of stuff.  I don't think it's going to add much convenience.

But interwiki is certainly a good idea for tickets.  Also for moderations.
And it doesn't do any harm to use it for artists, albums and tracks as well,
even if no-one ever uses it.  So I'm in favour.

If we could link to the mailing lists as well, that'd rock.  I know we can't
though :-(

Re: InterWiki links

DonRedman
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:59:47 +0100, Matthew Exon wrote:

> Lukáš Lalinský wrote:
>> What do you think about adding InterWiki links like:

Yes!

>> [wiki:Artist:f4c53778-e48d-4da4-9ddd-cc007f715d64 Alan Silvestri]
>> instead of
>> [http://musicbrainz.org/artist/f4c53778-e48d-4da4-9ddd-cc007f715d64.html
>> Alan Silvestri]
>
> This artist example is actually *harder* to enter as an interwiki link
> than it is as a normal link, even if it's shorter.  You can't just copy
> and paste the URL, you have to strip out a ginormous string from the
> middle, and then type in a bunch of stuff.  I don't think it's going to
> add much convenience.

What would be incredibly cool would be a macro like
[[Artist(f4c53778-e48d-4da4-9ddd-cc007f715d64)]] that expands to the
artist-icon and the artist's name.

> But interwiki is certainly a good idea for tickets.  Also for
> moderations.  And it doesn't do any harm to use it for artists, albums
> and tracks as well, even if no-one ever uses it.  So I'm in favour.

This should not only be used in moin but on Trac too (however, Trac will
not support InterWiki before 0.10) and in the edit notes. And it should
use the _same_ syntax in al circumstances.

So, each medium (edit notes, moin, and later trac) should have all of the
ones below except itself:

## note different syntax on moin ($PAGE) and Trac ($1)

Artist http://musicbrainz.org/artist/$PAGE.html
Album http://musicbrainz.org/album/$PAGE.html
Track http://musicbrainz.org/track/$PAGE.html
User http://musicbrainz.org/user/view.html?uid=
Edit http://musicbrainz.org/showmod.html?modid=
Ticket http://musicbrainz.org/bugs/ticket/
## This does not work. The redirect needs to be improved for this!
## alternatively linkt to test.mb.org
MBWiki http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/
## cannot use 'Wiki' which is reserved for Ward's Wiki.
Doc http://musicbrainz.org/doc/
## Linking to WikiDocs from edit notes and the wiki.

   DonRedman

--
Words that are written in CamelCase refer to WikiPages:
Visit http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ the best MusicBrainz documentation

Re: InterWiki links

Lukáš Lalinský
Don Redman wrote:
> User http://musicbrainz.org/user/view.html?uid=

This one should be rather:
User http://musicbrainz.org/user/view.html?modname=

Re: InterWiki links

Nikki-12
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:26:59AM +0100, Lukáš Lalinský wrote:
> What do you think about adding InterWiki links like:
>
> Ticket http://test.musicbrainz.org/trac/ticket/
> Artist http://musicbrainz.org/artist/$PAGE.html
> Album http://musicbrainz.org/album/$PAGE.html
> Track http://musicbrainz.org/track/$PAGE.html

Are they case sensitive? (i.e. would I be able to write 'ticket'?)

--Nikki

Re: InterWiki links

Lukáš Lalinský
Nikki wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:26:59AM +0100, Lukáš Lalinský wrote:
>> What do you think about adding InterWiki links like:
>>
>> Ticket http://test.musicbrainz.org/trac/ticket/
>> Artist http://musicbrainz.org/artist/$PAGE.html
>> Album http://musicbrainz.org/album/$PAGE.html
>> Track http://musicbrainz.org/track/$PAGE.html
>
> Are they case sensitive? (i.e. would I be able to write 'ticket'?)

Yes, they are case sensitive. The lowercase version doesn't work even if it's
explicitly specified in intermap.txt. At least in MoinMoin.

Re: InterWiki links

Lukáš Lalinský

Re: InterWiki links

Dave Evans-3
On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 04:07:00PM +0100, Luká? Lalinský wrote:
> Hi,
> can somebody who have access to zim add these lines to MoinMoin's
> intermap.txt, please?

Done.

http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Sandbox?action=diff&rev2=20&rev1=19

--