LP with digital download

Greg Ward
Hi folks --

you may have noticed that if you buy a new vinyl LP these days, it
usually comes with a free digital download. How are these things
captured in MusicBrainz? Seems to me that it ought to be a single
release with two media: one 12" vinyl, one digital.

I've only bought two such LPs to date. One of them is in MusicBrainz,
but it only has one medium. Should I add the digital medium? Or is
there a better way to describe it?

       Greg
--
Greg Ward                            http://www.gerg.ca
<[hidden email]>                       @gergdotca

Re: LP with digital download

Greg Ward
On 26 March 2014, I said:
> you may have noticed that if you buy a new vinyl LP these days, it
> usually comes with a free digital download. How are these things
> captured in MusicBrainz? Seems to me that it ought to be a single
> release with two media: one 12" vinyl, one digital.

Ghostofcain replied
> Are we talking an Amazon type autorip release, i.e where Amazon give you
> a free digital copy?

No.

Example #1: I bought the LP "Bon Iver, Bon Iver" in a record store
about a year ago. (Wow, that sentence is like a relic from a vanished
age.) The LP included a slip of paper from the record label that told
me where to download MP3 copies of all the songs on the album using an
obfuscated URL.

Example #2: I bought the LP "Mass:Light" by Murray Lightburn from the
artist's web site this week. I got the LP by post, and URL to download
MP3 copies of the album by email. See
  http://store.thedears.org/related-projects/de050001-murray-a-lightburn-mass-light-available-august-1-2013/

(Interesting: this album doesn't even have a CD release: vinyl and MP3
only.)

       Greg
--
Greg Ward                            http://www.gerg.ca
<[hidden email]>                       @gergdotca

Re: LP with digital download

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Greg Ward <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 26 March 2014, I said:
> you may have noticed that if you buy a new vinyl LP these days, it
> usually comes with a free digital download. How are these things
> captured in MusicBrainz? Seems to me that it ought to be a single
> release with two media: one 12" vinyl, one digital.

Ghostofcain replied
> Are we talking an Amazon type autorip release, i.e where Amazon give you
> a free digital copy?

No.

Example #1: I bought the LP "Bon Iver, Bon Iver" in a record store
about a year ago. (Wow, that sentence is like a relic from a vanished
age.) The LP included a slip of paper from the record label that told
me where to download MP3 copies of all the songs on the album using an
obfuscated URL.

Example #2: I bought the LP "Mass:Light" by Murray Lightburn from the
artist's web site this week. I got the LP by post, and URL to download
MP3 copies of the album by email. See
  http://store.thedears.org/related-projects/de050001-murray-a-lightburn-mass-light-available-august-1-2013/

(Interesting: this album doesn't even have a CD release: vinyl and MP3
only.)

I would probably see it as "you buy a vinyl release, get gifted a (separate) digital release" myself.

Re: LP with digital download

lixobix
Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Greg Ward <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26 March 2014, I said:
> > you may have noticed that if you buy a new vinyl LP these days, it
> > usually comes with a free digital download. How are these things
> > captured in MusicBrainz? Seems to me that it ought to be a single
> > release with two media: one 12" vinyl, one digital.
>
> Ghostofcain replied
> > Are we talking an Amazon type autorip release, i.e where Amazon give you
> > a free digital copy?
>
> No.
>
> Example #1: I bought the LP "Bon Iver, Bon Iver" in a record store
> about a year ago. (Wow, that sentence is like a relic from a vanished
> age.) The LP included a slip of paper from the record label that told
> me where to download MP3 copies of all the songs on the album using an
> obfuscated URL.
>
> Example #2: I bought the LP "Mass:Light" by Murray Lightburn from the
> artist's web site this week. I got the LP by post, and URL to download
> MP3 copies of the album by email. See
>
> http://store.thedears.org/related-projects/de050001-murray-a-lightburn-mass-light-available-august-1-2013/
>
> (Interesting: this album doesn't even have a CD release: vinyl and MP3
> only.)

I would probably see it as "you buy a vinyl release, get gifted a
(separate) digital release" myself.

+1

Re: LP with digital download

Jan van Thiel-4

On 26 March 2014, I said:
> you may have noticed that if you buy a new vinyl LP these days, it
> usually comes with a free digital download. How are these things
> captured in MusicBrainz? Seems to me that it ought to be a single
> release with two media: one 12" vinyl, one digital.

Ghostofcain replied
> Are we talking an Amazon type autorip release, i.e where Amazon give you
> a free digital copy?

No.

Example #1: I bought the LP "Bon Iver, Bon Iver" in a record store
about a year ago. (Wow, that sentence is like a relic from a vanished
age.) The LP included a slip of paper from the record label that told
me where to download MP3 copies of all the songs on the album using an
obfuscated URL.

Example #2: I bought the LP "Mass:Light" by Murray Lightburn from the
artist's web site this week. I got the LP by post, and URL to download
MP3 copies of the album by email. See
  http://store.thedears.org/related-projects/de050001-murray-a-lightburn-mass-light-available-august-1-2013/

(Interesting: this album doesn't even have a CD release: vinyl and MP3
only.)

I would probably see it as "you buy a vinyl release, get gifted a (separate) digital release" myself.

I would add these as a 2-medium releases. Often, the packaging has a sticker/piece of cardboard stating it's a vinyl+download or vinyl+cd release. I see them as 1 release.

Examples:
http://musicbrainz.org/release/c3d51a3c-1380-4dad-aecc-f16b8384dd85
http://musicbrainz.org/release/932a8fee-29c2-4afe-abbf-459410b1bd98
http://musicbrainz.org/release/1d01ed78-51ad-4493-940e-cf4ee4158da9
http://musicbrainz.org/release/f7844735-397b-402a-8bcb-e49ed6006c51

Regards,
Jan / zout

Re: LP with digital download

Jazzy Jarilith
I'm in agreement with Reosarevok on that one. The "Digital Copy" does not actually come with the packaging. What you get is merely the right to download the digital version of the album and thus through a download code. I would rather see the download card/coupon being mentioned in the annotation field.

On a side note, second-hand buyers don't get any use from those download codes. Do they get partial releases? ;-)

On 26 March 2014, I said:
> you may have noticed that if you buy a new vinyl LP these days, it
> usually comes with a free digital download. How are these things
> captured in MusicBrainz? Seems to me that it ought to be a single
> release with two media: one 12" vinyl, one digital.

Ghostofcain replied
> Are we talking an Amazon type autorip release, i.e where Amazon give you
> a free digital copy?

No.

Example #1: I bought the LP "Bon Iver, Bon Iver" in a record store
about a year ago. (Wow, that sentence is like a relic from a vanished
age.) The LP included a slip of paper from the record label that told
me where to download MP3 copies of all the songs on the album using an
obfuscated URL.

Example #2: I bought the LP "Mass:Light" by Murray Lightburn from the
artist's web site this week. I got the LP by post, and URL to download
MP3 copies of the album by email. See
  http://store.thedears.org/related-projects/de050001-murray-a-lightburn-mass-light-available-august-1-2013/

(Interesting: this album doesn't even have a CD release: vinyl and MP3
only.)

I would probably see it as "you buy a vinyl release, get gifted a (separate) digital release" myself.

I would add these as a 2-medium releases. Often, the packaging has a sticker/piece of cardboard stating it's a vinyl+download or vinyl+cd release. I see them as 1 release.

Examples:
http://musicbrainz.org/release/c3d51a3c-1380-4dad-aecc-f16b8384dd85
http://musicbrainz.org/release/932a8fee-29c2-4afe-abbf-459410b1bd98
http://musicbrainz.org/release/1d01ed78-51ad-4493-940e-cf4ee4158da9
http://musicbrainz.org/release/f7844735-397b-402a-8bcb-e49ed6006c51

Regards,
Jan / zout

Re: LP with digital download

tommycrock

On 29 Mar 2014 09:38, "Jazzy Jarilith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On a side note, second-hand buyers don't get any use from those download codes. Do they get partial releases? ;-)

My instinct would have been for one double release but I like this point! I guess it's a bit like a retailer offering a deal on two albums, which wouldn't make them a double album release.

Re: LP with digital download

lixobix
Jazzy Jarilith wrote

:

> On 27 March 2014 14:15, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren <[hidden email]>wrote:

>>> Ghostofcain replied
>>> you
>>>
>>> No.
>>>
>>> Example #1: I bought the LP "Bon Iver, Bon Iver" in a record store
>>> about a year ago. (Wow, that sentence is like a relic from a vanished
>>> age.) The LP included a slip of paper from the record label that told
>>> me where to download MP3 copies of all the songs on the album using an
>>> obfuscated URL.
>>>
>>> Example #2: I bought the LP "Mass:Light" by Murray Lightburn from the
>>> artist's web site this week. I got the LP by post, and URL to download
>>> MP3 copies of the album by email. See
>>>
>>> http://store.thedears.org/related-projects/de050001-murray-a-lightburn-mass-light-available-august-1-2013/
>>>
>>> (Interesting: this album doesn't even have a CD release: vinyl and MP3
>>> only.)
>>

>> I would probably see it as "you buy a vinyl release, get gifted a
>> (separate) digital release" myself.
>>

> I would add these as a 2-medium releases. Often, the packaging has a
> sticker/piece of cardboard stating it's a vinyl+download or vinyl+cd
> release. I see them as 1 release.
>
> Examples:
> http://musicbrainz.org/release/c3d51a3c-1380-4dad-aecc-f16b8384dd85
> http://musicbrainz.org/release/932a8fee-29c2-4afe-abbf-459410b1bd98
> http://musicbrainz.org/release/1d01ed78-51ad-4493-940e-cf4ee4158da9
> http://musicbrainz.org/release/f7844735-397b-402a-8bcb-e49ed6006c51
>
> Regards,
> Jan / zout

I agree, the download card is not a medium, merely a means to get a free copy of another release.

Re: LP with digital download

lixobix
Perhaps the guidelines should be updated once we come to a conclusive decision. I can see how users could interpret this either way (although I stand by what I said above).