Label images

Per Starbäck
I look through the list of cover art types,
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Cover_Art/Types , and am surprised there
isn't one for just the label.

When I see illustrated lists of 78s normally pictures of just the
labels are used, like at

http://78rpmrecord.com/labelview.cfm
http://ellingtonweb.ca/Hostedpages/DoojiCollection/DoojiCollection-1939-40.html
http://www.45worlds.com/78rpm/artist/ella-fitzgerald

to take a few random examples. That's what I would prefer as the main
image for a vinyl release that doesn't have a cover image. The closest
thing is "Medium" which is described as

> The medium contains the audio recording, for a compact disc release it is the > compact disc itself, similarly for a vinyl release it is the vinyl disc itself, etc.

That's good for cds, but for most vinyl releases most of the image is
uninteresting and it makes it harder to see the interesting part.

Re: Label images

tommycrock

On 24 Aug 2014 18:02, "Per Starbäck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I look through the list of cover art types,
> http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Cover_Art/Types , and am surprised there
> isn't one for just the label.
>
> When I see illustrated lists of 78s normally pictures of just the
> labels are used, like at
>
> http://78rpmrecord.com/labelview.cfm
> http://ellingtonweb.ca/Hostedpages/DoojiCollection/DoojiCollection-1939-40.html
> http://www.45worlds.com/78rpm/artist/ella-fitzgerald
>
> to take a few random examples. That's what I would prefer as the main
> image for a vinyl release that doesn't have a cover image. The closest
> thing is "Medium" which is described as
>
> > The medium contains the audio recording, for a compact disc release it is the > compact disc itself, similarly for a vinyl release it is the vinyl disc itself, etc.
>
> That's good for cds, but for most vinyl releases most of the image is
> uninteresting and it makes it harder to see the interesting part.

For vinyl I've always added the interesting part of the medium and marked it "medium". I don't think a different type would be useful -- CDs can have paper labels as well as being directly printed/etched and vice-versa for vinyl. Perhaps it would be useful to mention the labels in the description though.

Re: Label images

Per Starbäck

> On 24 Aug 2014 18:02, "Per Starbäck" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I look through the list of cover art types,
>> http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Cover_Art/Types , and am surprised there
>> isn't one for just the label.
>> [...]
>> The closest
>> thing is "Medium" which is described as
>>
>> > The medium contains the audio recording, for a compact disc release it
>> > is the compact disc itself, similarly for a vinyl release it is the vinyl
>> > disc itself, etc.
>>
>> That's good for cds, but for most vinyl releases most of the image is
>> uninteresting and it makes it harder to see the interesting part.
>
> For vinyl I've always added the interesting part of the medium and marked it
> "medium". I don't think a different type would be useful -- CDs can have
> paper labels as well as being directly printed/etched and vice-versa for
> vinyl. Perhaps it would be useful to mention the labels in the description

That would have been useful for me at least, (but maybe I just
interpreted it too literally). Is it always the case that for some
releases you want the whole disc and for some only the label, or are
there for instance picture discs where both could be useful?
I've seen the whole disc used sometimes just to show that it has an
unusual color.