Musicbrainz data feed - Setting RDF store from Musicbrainz database

Musicbrainz data feed - Setting RDF store from Musicbrainz database

venkateshchannal
Hi,

I am working on a project to create a RDF store from musicbrainz database so that the RDF store will then be updated continuosly from the live data feed provided by musicbrainz.

 I installed the VM(MusicBrainz NGS 2012-05-19.ova) and tried to execute the RDFDump.pl. This is not working as the MusicBrainz.pm, MM_2_1.pm being referred to in the RDFDump.pl are not part of the latest VM. I did a find command the files where not found. Could you please guide me with detailed instruction on how to do this. I am new to perl and musicbrainz and finding it quite difficult to set up a database that will be fed with data from musicbrainz.

I think having a video link (tutorial) would make it more easier for newbee like me.

Thanks and regards,
Venkatesh

Re: Musicbrainz data feed - Setting RDF store from Musicbrainz database

mayhem
Administrator

On Jun 5, 2012, at 6:18 AM, venkateshchannal wrote:

I am working on a project to create a RDF store from musicbrainz database so
that the RDF store will then be updated continuosly from the live data feed
provided by musicbrainz.

I installed the VM(MusicBrainz NGS 2012-05-19.ova) and tried to execute the
RDFDump.pl. This is not working as the MusicBrainz.pm, MM_2_1.pm being
referred to in the RDFDump.pl are not part of the latest VM. I did a find
command the files where not found. Could you please guide me with detailed
instruction on how to do this. I am new to perl and musicbrainz and finding
it quite difficult to set up a database that will be fed with data from
musicbrainz.

Hi!

The musicbrainz-server codebase currently does not support RDF dumps -- that file you were looking at hasn't worked in a really long time, so I removed it from the git repo.

A group of researches have added RDF dump capabilities to MusicBrainz, but their work is not complete yet. I can do an introduction to them if you're interested.

--

--ruaok

Robert Kaye     --     [hidden email]     --    http://musicbrainz.org

Re: Musicbrainz data feed - Setting RDF store from Musicbrainz database

venkateshchannal
Hi Robert,

Thank you for your reply. Could you let me know the reason why RDF dump support was stopped for MusicBrainz so that if there is a thing for me to beware it would be good to know now. Is RDBMS the prefered way to stored data when compared to RDF?

It would be helpful if you can introduce me to the group that is working on adding RDF capability to MusicBrainz.

Also, is there a entire DB Schema explanation of the MusicBrainz database as in the wiki/doc on the site the core tables are explained but if I for example am trying to find the relation between lyrics and performance it is not so straightforward.

Would it be possible to create a MySQL database out of Postgre so that I can copy the data in Postgre database of MusicBrainz into a local MySQL database in Windows so that I can try to create the RDF out of a database (MySQL) with which I am more comfortable and using Windows.

Thank you for you time.

Regards,
Venkatesh

NAML

On Jun 6, 2012, at 8:23 AM, venkateshchannal wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Thank you for your reply. Could you let me know the reason why RDF dump support was stopped for MusicBrainz so that if there is a thing for me to beware it would be good to know now.

The main reason was that the data dump became so big that no RDF tools at the time could actually parse the entire data-set. And we never bothered to maintain something that didn't work.

>> Is RDBMS the prefered way to stored data when compared to RDF?

That depends on what it is you wish to do. I personally prefer the stability of a solid SQL database over RDF triple stores...

> It would be helpful if you can introduce me to the group that is working on adding RDF capability to MusicBrainz.

I will do that in a follow-up email.

> Would it be possible to create a MySQL database out of Postgre so that I can copy the data in Postgre database of MusicBrainz into a local MySQL database in Windows so that I can try to create the RDF out of a database (MySQL) with which I am more comfortable and using Windows

We do not support, nor condone the use of MusicBrainz using MySQL or Windows. It might just be best for you to download one of our virtual machines, running Linux:

   http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Server_Setup

--

--ruaok

Robert Kaye     --     [hidden email]     --    http://musicbrainz.org

Re: Musicbrainz data feed - Setting RDF store from Musicbrainz database

venkateshchannal
Hi Robert,

Thank you for your detailed mail.

I wish to create a music database that will store entire song, and their digital signature along with the metadata.

The music will be combination of public (anyone can download) or rights body owned music in which case there will be restriction. The approval process for the data will be different so having a different RDBMS is seen to be necessary.

So the idea to create a separate RDBMS that will use MusicBrainz data as well as have data that I intend to source from the internet. I will need to get regular updates from both the sources to update the metadata information.

I have already downloaded the VM and set it up. I am not able to use it as the source to create another database using the database in the VM. I was thinking my lack of Postgre and Linux knowledge was the main reason in not being to use the database being provided by MusicBrainz.

Appreciate your feedback and guidance. As English is not my mother tongue, kindly excuse me if the intent of the mail is not clear.

Regards,
Venky