NGS change-over notifcation: May 16th

Robert Kaye
Administrator
Hello!

Its been a very long time since there have been any updates posted here; we've been working very hard on a new release of MusicBrainz: MusicBrainz Next Generation Schema! Please do accept my sincere apologies for the massive delay in finishing our rewrite of our 10 year old codebase. We've worked hard to iron out all the wrinkles and have taken all the steps necessary to ensure that our transition will go smoothly. To make this possible we've recently purchased 5 new servers that will allow us to migrate NGS onto new server hardware, rather than migrating to NGS on our existing servers.

In the coming weeks we're going to be posting more information about what is going to happen during the release of MusicBrainz NGS. You can see a brief preview of what our community should expect here:

As for our replicated data users, we expect that the following will need to happen:

1. Upgrade your database to Postgres version 9.0.x -- we're using Postgres version 9.0.3 on our master server and it will be required for you to run Postgres 9.0.x on your servers as well.
2. The update will require a lot of new perl modules to be installed. See our INSTALL file for NGS fore more details: [1].
3. For this release we will require you to re-import the first NGS data-dump that we release after the migration. The migration script to move the database from the 20090524 release to the 20110516 release runs for hours (!) and will only run on the master, not a slave.

I STRONGLY urge you to install a copy of NGS very soon and test our new replication stream that we will start off in the next few days. I would also advise you to keep an eye on our blog for other NGS related posts. [2]

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments! Thanks!

--

--ruaok        The answer to whether or not something is a good idea should not be taken as an indication of whether I want to do it.

Robert Kaye     --     [hidden email]     --    http://mayhem-chaos.net

Re: NGS change-over notifcation: May 16th

Robert Kaye
Administrator
I would like to add one clarification:

On May 16th, we're going to start the new replication stream for NGS and NO MORE replication packets for the old 20090524 release of MusicBrainz will be issued.