Nested Playlists, Embedded User Fields

Kace Ong
Hi all,

I am a DJ for 17 years so I use playlist extensively.
Please allow me to make some suggestions.

1. In my field (tango music) we often use a
set of 4 songs as one element (tanda), and
separate each tanda with another interlude song
(cortina).

While I can store the entire playlist as one file,
I really would prefer a simple way to embed
playlist in playlist.

2. Are there any extensible user defined fields in
XSPF that a DJ can add his own app-specific notes?
We frequently add information about speed and
volume changes to specific points in a playlist.

3. If there is a way to embed user-defined fields or
scripts in playlist, then we can create apps that can
drive two engines, like one music and one digital control,
so we can perhaps use one playlist format to store
everything we need to automate a stage production.

Forgive my ignorance if any of these are solved
problems.

Kace

Re: Nested Playlists, Embedded User Fields

Lucas Gonze-2
That's a supercool place to take the art of playlisting, Kace.

1. There is no official impediment in XSPF to embedding playlists within playlists. Officially it should work. In practice I doubt it.

2. There are extensible fields for a DJ to add app-specific notes. If you are working on an app then I and other people can help you craft the markup for information about speed and volume changes.

3. This is absolutely doable.

-Lucas

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 12:32 AM, Kace Ong <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Lucas,

I am currently using Foobar2000 and I
am pretty sure it does not support
embedded playlists in XSPF or any of the
other playlist formats.

The next step for me is to start looking into the code implementing the XSPF and see if I can propose some extensions.  Should be a great Summer project lol.

Kace

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com