Newbie, Help Getting Started !

Jayesh Lahori
Hi,

My name is Jayesh Lahori, I'm a 3rd year Computer Science Student at International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad (India)  .I'm interested in contributing to Open Source Projects of musicbrainz, Any pointers on how should I go about it?

My Technical skill-set:

C/C++ , Python , Web Technologies(HTML,CSS,Javascript,PHP,web2py,OpenERP , MySQL).
OS: GNU/Linux

Jayesh Lahori
IIIT-Hyderabad

Re: Newbie, Help Getting Started !

Andy Hawkins
Hi,

In article <[hidden email]>,
           Jayesh Lahori<[hidden email]> wrote:
> My name is Jayesh Lahori, I'm a 3rd year Computer Science Student at
> International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad (India)  .I'm
> interested in contributing to Open Source Projects of musicbrainz, Any
> pointers on how should I go about it?

Welcome!

I'd suggest popping into the IRC channel #musicbrainz-devel on freenode and
introduce yourself there.  That's where most of the Devs hang out, so would
be a good place to start.

Andy

Re: Newbie, Help Getting Started !

Staffan Vilcans

Jayesh Lahori skrev:

> My name is Jayesh Lahori, I'm a 3rd year Computer Science Student at
> International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad (India)  .I'm
> interested in contributing to Open Source Projects of musicbrainz, Any
> pointers on how should I go about it?

What about languages? Perhaps you could do some work at
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/musicbrainz/ as well.

--
http://www.interface1.net

Re: Newbie, Help Getting Started !

Jayesh Lahori
Hi Staffan,

You mean language technologies ? , No experience in those. Could you suggest some web or python/PHP based work ?

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Staffan Vilcans <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jayesh Lahori skrev:

> My name is Jayesh Lahori, I'm a 3rd year Computer Science Student at
> International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad (India)  .I'm
> interested in contributing to Open Source Projects of musicbrainz, Any
> pointers on how should I go about it?

What about languages? Perhaps you could do some work at
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/musicbrainz/ as well.

--
http://www.interface1.net

Jayesh Lahori
IIIT-Hyderabad

Re: Newbie, Help Getting Started !

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Jayesh Lahori <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Staffan,

You mean language technologies ? , No experience in those. Could you suggest some web or python/PHP based work ?

No, he literally means translating the site to make it more accessible to people in India (which might or might not be interesting to you, but since we're seeing quite a bit of interest from Hyderabad, it would be lovely if all these interested people could help translate, heh)

Re: Newbie, Help Getting Started !

Andy Hawkins

In article <CALq3cxg2EpAjO==[hidden email]>,
           Jayesh Lahori<[hidden email]> wrote:
> You mean language technologies ? , No experience in those. Could you
> suggest some web or python/PHP based work ?

I think he was referring to translating the software into different
languages.

Take a look at the link he posted.

Andy

Re: Newbie, Help Getting Started !

Jayesh Lahori
Hi,
Could anyone please help me with setting up the dev env locally ?

Hi,

Jayesh Lahori skrev:

> You mean language technologies ? , No experience in those. Could you
> suggest some web or python/PHP based work ?

No, actual translation of the user interfaces. I see that Telugu and Urdu
are official languages and looking at
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/musicbrainz/ I see that Urdu isn't
even listed and Telugu is only 3% translated.

Translation work is also needed and it's easy to start working on so it
don't require as much initial effort as coding.

--
http://www.interface1.net

Some albums take forever

Louis LSJ Kruger
Hi,

I have found that a few albums takes forver to lookup.  Even the tagger
takes a long time.

Any ideas what I maybe am doing wrong?

Regards,

Louis.

Re: Some albums take forever

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Louis LSJ Kruger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I have found that a few albums takes forver to lookup.  Even the tagger
takes a long time.

Any ideas what I maybe am doing wrong?

Well, what kind of albums? If we're talking about 50 CD classical boxsets, that's not too surprising - if they're normal albums, it is more so. Can you give a few links you know give this problem?

Re: Some albums take forever

lixobix
Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Louis LSJ Kruger <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have found that a few albums takes forver to lookup.  Even the tagger
> takes a long time.
>
> Any ideas what I maybe am doing wrong?

Well, what kind of albums? If we're talking about 50 CD classical boxsets,
that's not too surprising - if they're normal albums, it is more so. Can
you give a few links you know give this problem?

Just on this point, there are several releases in my collection that just will not load now in Picard. Not necessarily multi-medium releases, it's seemingly random. However, I've not tried to load them with all plugins/scripting turned off. Will open a separate thread if that doesn't solve it.

Thought I would mention this, in case anyone else is having trouble.

Re: Some albums take forever

lixobix
Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Louis LSJ Kruger <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have found that a few albums takes forver to lookup.  Even the tagger
> takes a long time.
>
> Any ideas what I maybe am doing wrong?

Well, what kind of albums? If we're talking about 50 CD classical boxsets,
that's not too surprising - if they're normal albums, it is more so. Can
you give a few links you know give this problem?

Just on this point, there are several releases in my collection that just
will not load now in Picard. Not necessarily multi-medium releases, it's
seemingly random. However, I've not tried to load them with all
plugins/scripting turned off. Will open a separate thread if that doesn't
solve it.

Thought I would mention this, in case anyone else is having trouble.

Re: Some albums take forever

Georg Kretschmer

Re: Some albums take forever

Louis LSJ Kruger
1. http://musicbrainz.org/release/135d6adb-e422-4a86-be10-137e07bb2f8e
2. http://musicbrainz.org/release/7dece4ee-8242-42e1-81ad-426a688fa27c
3. http://musicbrainz.org/release/781c56b0-7562-4f09-a6e0-2b556e0a89e3

The have been loading now for more than four hours.