Playlists

Gioele-2
Hi,

what is the current stance of MB towards playlists?

I have seen DJs and sites publishing playlists on their sites, most of
the time as blog posts with a list of embedded online videos. [1,2,3,4]

Should these playlists be added to MusicBrainz?

I have not a clear idea about it. But here is some food for thought: if
these playlists where accompanied by downloadable MP3 files we would
consider them as releases. Is there a fundamental difference between
linking MP3s and linking to videos? What about streaming-only releases?
Aren't they a variant of playlist + embedded player?

Bye,

[1] http://www.ilpost.it/2014/04/02/frankie-knuckles/
[2]
http://quasi.rockit.it/2014/05/20/pesaro-wave-city-perche-li-si-e-da-altre-parti-no/
http://quasi.rockit.it/category/liste/
[3]
http://evertainment.blogspot.it/2012/01/evertainment-weekly-playlist-dj.html
[4]
https://play.spotify.com/user/nprhereandnow/playlist/7HuD2iT1rQIbD4EK2mtVRw?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open

--
Gioele Barabucci <[hidden email]>

Re: Playlists

tommycrock
I don't know, but I expect it depends on the copyright situation like "top ##" lists. http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Miscellaneous
Info on this sort of thing http://www.simkins.com/news/can-copyright-subsist-music-compilation-playlist-2/ except I believe MBz is under law in California.

On 12/07/2014 13:01, Tom Crocker wrote:
> I don't know, but I expect it depends on the copyright situation like
> "top ##" lists.

I do not see the copyright problem here. Maybe a sui-generis db rights
problem, but, anyway, what is the difference between a published
playlist and the tracklist on the back of a CD?

According that theory, if a DJ publishes a playlist on his blog we
cannot use it, but if the same DJ publishes a CD with the same playlist
then we can use it?

Bye,

--
Gioele Barabucci <[hidden email]>

Re: Playlists

tommycrock

I don't claim to understand the ins and outs of it, but it is the position for top something lists. Perhaps someone else knows?

Re: Playlists

Gioele-2
On 12/07/2014 10:42, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what is the current stance of MB towards playlists?

For the records, there has been a small IRC discussion:

https://chatlogs.musicbrainz.org/musicbrainz/2014/2014-07/2014-07-12.html#T20-15-11-956732

--
Gioele Barabucci <[hidden email]>