Preferred way of adding festivals held on sparse dates and other things related to events guidelines

Preferred way of adding festivals held on sparse dates and other things related to events guidelines

ChurruKa
Hi,

ATM I'm adding data for an upcoming series of concerts that will be held on my hometown [1] and I'm not sure if I should link them together using a parent Festival event or if I should use a Series instead. The fact is the concerts will span two weeks (January 30-February 7), but only on some days of the week (Fridays, Weekends and one Thursday).

So, should we handle these cases using a parent "Festival" event (even if most days on the interval between the begin and end dates will have no events at all) or should we use a "Series" event for linking the sparse events together? I would go with the first approach (and even I've started to convert a festival I entered earlier as a "Series" into parent-child event ARs [2]), but I would like to hear opinions in favor of one way or another.

Also, are there any plans for a guideline for events, or are there any guidelines for them that I'm unaware of?
  • Things like title standarization, when/how to use parent-child events, how to set dates etc etc.
  • I've also concerns about the data duplication that happens on festivals when artists can potentially be linked 2 to 3 times (on the day they perform, on a child event for the artist performance itself and on the "parent" event that links each festival day together).

Re: Preferred way of adding festivals held on sparse dates and other things related to events guidelines

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Héctor Arroyo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

ATM I'm adding data for an upcoming series of concerts that will be held on my hometown [1] and I'm not sure if I should link them together using a parent Festival event or if I should use a Series instead. The fact is the concerts will span two weeks (January 30-February 7), but only on some days of the week (Fridays, Weekends and one Thursday).

So, should we handle these cases using a parent "Festival" event (even if most days on the interval between the begin and end dates will have no events at all) or should we use a "Series" event for linking the sparse events together? I would go with the first approach (and even I've started to convert a festival I entered earlier as a "Series" into parent-child event ARs [2]), but I would like to hear opinions in favor of one way or another.

If they're considered all parts of the same festival, adding them as such seems perfectly ok to me :) Festival series are there to join different years of the same festival, not parts of a specific year.

Also, are there any plans for a guideline for events, or are there any guidelines for them that I'm unaware of?
  • Things like title standarization, when/how to use parent-child events, how to set dates etc etc.
  • I've also concerns about the data duplication that happens on festivals when artists can potentially be linked 2 to 3 times (on the day they perform, on a child event for the artist performance itself and on the "parent" event that links each festival day together).

Please enter STYLE tickets in Jira for things you want me to look at, and I can do that (it's perfectly fine to have discussion here about the issues as well though, so people: feel free to discuss these things!

The idea is that the artist should be linked to the specific day, and a list of artists per day will later be displayed on the parent event (like we show work relationships on recording pages). This hasn't happened yet though, but it's the plan :) I would only add child events for one artist inside the day if they're needed for a specific reason (to link it to a tour, or something like that). I do agree though that we need some conventions (and probably guidelines) for the whole thing, so I'm happy to hear other people's opinions on the matter!

On 16 Jan 2015 11:38, "Héctor Arroyo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've also concerns about the data duplication that happens on festivals when artists can potentially be linked 2 to 3 times (on the day they perform, on a child event for the artist performance itself and on the "parent" event that links each festival day together).

On a similar point, should we link recordings and releases to events or just some?

Re: Preferred way of adding festivals held on sparse dates and other things related to events guidelines

Jesse Weinstein
On Fri, 2015-01-16 at 13:23 +0000, Tom Crocker wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2015 11:38, "Héctor Arroyo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've also concerns about the data duplication that happens on
> festivals when artists can potentially be linked 2 to 3 times (on the
> day they perform, on a child event for the artist performance itself
> and on the "parent" event that links each festival day together).
> >

> On a similar point, should we link recordings and releases to events
> or just some?

The general guideline I've been following (and I've been adding a LOT of
Events and Places, due to my work on adding YouTube videos of contra
dances) is to only add an Event or Place if I can link it to more than
one recorded-music-related entity (i.e. Recording, or Release). I know
there is an idea out there of trying to copy artists whole event
schedules into MusicBrainz (and I don't oppose that) -- but for my use,
I limit myself to only adding Events (and Places) that I need to link
together other otherwise unconnected entities.

And I also regularly have limited information, so I'll have to attach a
Recording to a whole festival Event, rather than a specific day, if I
don't know what day it was recorded on. And I'll create an Event for a
specific workshop at a festival if and only if I have multiple
recordings of that particular workshop.

Examples:

http://musicbrainz.org/event/df98dc93-82c2-4fdf-a552-b96b16d1d354 NEFFA
http://musicbrainz.org/place/118adfc7-fcad-4438-bfd8-a7df853b9720
Concord Scout House

Further discussion (and guidelines) would be lovely.

Jesse

Re: Preferred way of adding festivals held on sparse dates and other things related to events guidelines

Ujiha74
This is truly a nice post! Thanks for this great share. Anyway, I am going to host my birthday party at live music bar nyc. So friend you all are invited to this party. I have organized yummy Thai food for this party.