Project Idea on Musicbrainz Database

lakmal padmakumara

Hey devs,

I'm Lakmal a computer science undergraduate in University of Moratuwa ,Sri Lanka.
Me and my 3 team mates who are following Advanced Database Systems course module in this semester need to work on a Database project and present our work.

After doing some researches on the available projects ,we are currently interested in working with Musicbrainz database which is a very exciting project to work with and also which will give us this big opportunity to contribute some code to the open-source community.

I have worked a little bit with Musicbrainz API in my last internship as one of the product of my company used some services provided by Musicbrainz.
But we need your help in finding a good improvement to Musicbrainz Database project which will also fit a 3 month semester.

Unfortunately this page seems to be obsoleted which contained some possible improvements earlier as I can remember.

Any support would be greatly appreciated .Thanks in advance !

--
Thanks & Kind Regards

Lakmal Padmakumara
Undergraduate
Computer Science and Engineering Department
University of Moratuwa
Sri Lanka
http://srilankatechnology.blogspot.com/

Re: Project Idea on Musicbrainz Database

Philipp Wolfer-3
Hi Lakmal,

I think doing a MusicBrainz project for your studies is a great idea.
I have been following the MusicBrainz development only loosely this
year, so I don't feel like I am the right person to propose a project
idea. But since there was no other response to your mail so far I
thought I should at least start some discussion.

Maybe you should bring up some ideas of yourself and put them up for
feedback on this list.  I am sure you and your friends already talked
about some things you would like to do with the MusicBrainz data. Even
if those ideas will not be perfect it will for sure help to start a
discussion ;)

Philipp

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey devs,
>
> I'm Lakmal a computer science undergraduate in University of Moratuwa ,Sri
> Lanka.
> Me and my 3 team mates who are following Advanced Database Systems course
> module in this semester need to work on a Database project and present our
> work.
>
> After doing some researches on the available projects ,we are currently
> interested in working with Musicbrainz database which is a very exciting
> project to work with and also which will give us this big opportunity to
> contribute some code to the open-source community.
>
> I have worked a little bit with Musicbrainz API in my last internship as one
> of the product of my company used some services provided by Musicbrainz.
> But we need your help in finding a good improvement to Musicbrainz Database
> project which will also fit a 3 month semester.
>
> Unfortunately this page seems to be obsoleted which contained some possible
> improvements earlier as I can remember.
>
> Any support would be greatly appreciated .Thanks in advance !
>
> --
> Thanks & Kind Regards
>
> Lakmal Padmakumara
> Undergraduate
> Computer Science and Engineering Department
> University of Moratuwa
> Sri Lanka
> http://srilankatechnology.blogspot.com/

Philipp

Thanks & Kind Regards

Lakmal Padmakumara
Undergraduate
Computer Science and Engineering Department
University of Moratuwa
Sri Lanka
http://srilankatechnology.blogspot.com/

Re: Project Idea on Musicbrainz Database

lakmal padmakumara
Hey all,

@Philipp
Thanks for taking your time in replying me .It was really nice of you for giving some kind of feedback :)

@all devs

I found a list of ideas which were posted by the Musicbrainz foundation for the recenly held Gsoc .And some of them were not taken .

As an example the project proposal which says " Artist credit utilization" was not taken by an student.
I would like to confirm the fact that no one has touched/taken this proposal since that,because there is no point of reinventing the wheel .

The work I do for the course module should also provide some benefit for the community.

Is there any way to confirm that this proposal is still to be implemented ?

Best Regards
Lakmal

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey devs,
>
> I'm Lakmal a computer science undergraduate in University of Moratuwa ,Sri
> Lanka.
> Me and my 3 team mates who are following Advanced Database Systems course
> module in this semester need to work on a Database project and present our
> work.
>
> After doing some researches on the available projects ,we are currently
> interested in working with Musicbrainz database which is a very exciting
> project to work with and also which will give us this big opportunity to
> contribute some code to the open-source community.
>
> I have worked a little bit with Musicbrainz API in my last internship as one
> of the product of my company used some services provided by Musicbrainz.
> But we need your help in finding a good improvement to Musicbrainz Database
> project which will also fit a 3 month semester.
>
> Unfortunately this page seems to be obsoleted which contained some possible
> improvements earlier as I can remember.
>
> Any support would be greatly appreciated .Thanks in advance !
>
> --
> Thanks & Kind Regards
>
> Lakmal Padmakumara
> Undergraduate
> Computer Science and Engineering Department
> University of Moratuwa
> Sri Lanka
> http://srilankatechnology.blogspot.com/

Philipp

Thanks & Kind Regards

Lakmal Padmakumara
Undergraduate
Computer Science and Engineering Department
University of Moratuwa
Sri Lanka
http://srilankatechnology.blogspot.com/

--
Thanks & Kind Regards

Lakmal Padmakumara
Undergraduate
Computer Science and Engineering Department
University of Moratuwa
Sri Lanka
http://srilankatechnology.blogspot.com/

Re: Project Idea on Musicbrainz Database

Lukáš Lalinský
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM, lakmal padmakumara
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> As an example the project proposal which says " Artist credit utilization"
> was not taken by an student.
> I would like to confirm the fact that no one has touched/taken this proposal
> since that,because there is no point of reinventing the wheel .
>
> The work I do for the course module should also provide some benefit for the
> community.
>
> Is there any way to confirm that this proposal is still to be implemented ?

There is one relevant ticket to the idea, but I haven't really started
working on it: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-3266

Generally, most of the Popular Tickets in Jira would probably make a
good course project. :)

http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Apopularissues-panel

Lukas

Re: Project Idea on Musicbrainz Database

lakmal padmakumara
Hey Lukas

Thanks a lot for the guidance .I remember you helped me in the same way when I was working with your acoustic fingerprint service (Chromaprint) sometime back :) .

I will go through the open tickets and try to find an interesting one .

Best Regards
Lakmal

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> As an example the project proposal which says " Artist credit utilization"
> was not taken by an student.
> I would like to confirm the fact that no one has touched/taken this proposal
> since that,because there is no point of reinventing the wheel .
>
> The work I do for the course module should also provide some benefit for the
> community.
>
> Is there any way to confirm that this proposal is still to be implemented ?

There is one relevant ticket to the idea, but I haven't really started
working on it: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-3266

Generally, most of the Popular Tickets in Jira would probably make a
good course project. :)

http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Apopularissues-panel

Lukas

Thanks & Kind Regards

Lakmal Padmakumara
Undergraduate
Computer Science and Engineering Department
University of Moratuwa
Sri Lanka
http://srilankatechnology.blogspot.com/

Re: Project Idea on Musicbrainz Database

lakmal padmakumara
Hey all ,

Do you have any idea why similar artist feature was removed from the Musicbrainz interface ?
Was it due to the fact that results were unacceptable ?
Will it be a good idea to research on this feature to come up with a good methodology ?Looking forward for some ideas.
Thanks in advance

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> As an example the project proposal which says " Artist credit utilization"
> was not taken by an student.
> I would like to confirm the fact that no one has touched/taken this proposal
> since that,because there is no point of reinventing the wheel .
>
> The work I do for the course module should also provide some benefit for the
> community.
>
> Is there any way to confirm that this proposal is still to be implemented ?

There is one relevant ticket to the idea, but I haven't really started
working on it: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-3266

Generally, most of the Popular Tickets in Jira would probably make a
good course project. :)

http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Apopularissues-panel

Lukas

Thanks & Kind Regards

Lakmal Padmakumara
Undergraduate
Computer Science and Engineering Department
University of Moratuwa
Sri Lanka
http://srilankatechnology.blogspot.com/

--
Thanks & Kind Regards

Lakmal Padmakumara
Undergraduate
Computer Science and Engineering Department
University of Moratuwa
Sri Lanka
http://srilankatechnology.blogspot.com/

Re: Project Idea on Musicbrainz Database

Nikki-3
lakmal padmakumara wrote:
> Hey all ,
>
> Do you have any idea why similar artist feature was removed from the
> Musicbrainz interface ?
> Was it due to the fact that results were unacceptable ?
> Will it be a good idea to research on this feature to come up with a good
> methodology ?Looking forward for some ideas.
> Thanks in advance

It was removed because it was static data which hadn't been updated for
years.
There was someone working on something like that (which is probably why
it's listed on the list of things not wanted on
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/History:Summer_of_Code_Ideas_2011#Proposals_NOT_wanted)
but I don't know if anything ever came of it.

Nikki