Question on Release Artist

Jim Duke
This release has a Release Artist of Goran Bregović who is an artist and his name is featured on the cover.  But for this release he is the producer.

As I understand it this release should really be attributed to the special artist Various Artists; not Goran Bregović.  But his name being the front cover gives me pause.

Re: Question on Release Artist

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren

Artist credit is exactly that: who is credited. If in this case that's Goran, then that's it :)

On 19 Jan 2015 17:39, "Jim Duke" <[hidden email]> wrote:
This release has a Release Artist of Goran Bregović who is an artist and his name is featured on the cover.  But for this release he is the producer.

As I understand it this release should really be attributed to the special artist Various Artists; not Goran Bregović.  But his name being the front cover gives me pause.

Re: Question on Release Artist

bflaminio
Almost all of my personal collection of "Various Artists" releases are not credited with "Various Artists" album artist. If there is a producer or compiler, I use their name (and so in that regard I agree with our Style BDFL). Others I might use the series name or other identifier. I find it more helpful to have all "Sounds of the Seventies" releases grouped together, rather than in the catch-all "Various Artists".

Of course, this is not MBZ style, but as Rob Keeney-2 mentioned it's easy to override MBZ info for personal reasons.