RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

jacobbrett
Please see 'What not to link to': http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Relationships/URLs/What_not_to_link_to

I think the following sites below should be okay to link to now.

AMG
http://allmusic.com/

Example:
http://allmusic.com/artist/p4147
http://allmusic.com/album/r661152
http://allmusic.com/song/t6527744

The ID on the end is an "AMG [Artist/Album/Song] ID"; the URI format seems unlikely to be obfuscated.

"If you operate a Web site and wish to link to the AMG Websites, you may do so provided you agree to cease such link upon request from AMG." - http://allmusic.com/about/terms

CDON.COM/EU
http://cdon.com/

Point 1 is now irrelevant and I think the EU domain could be used for all music links, rendering point two obsolete, also.

The EU domain seems to stock all music products that the other sites do, combined.

Example:
http://cdon.eu/music/dylan_bob/freewheelin%27_bob_dylan-300020

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
WhatNotToLinkTo is not a guideline anyway, but well… While we're at
it, CD Baby has artist pages now.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:33 PM, jacobbrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please see 'What not to link to':
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Relationships/URLs/What_not_to_link_to
>
> I think the following sites below should be okay to link to now.
>
> AMG
> http://allmusic.com/
>
> Example:
> http://allmusic.com/artist/p4147
> http://allmusic.com/album/r661152
> http://allmusic.com/song/t6527744
>
> The ID on the end is an "AMG [Artist/Album/Song] ID"; the URI format seems
> unlikely to be obfuscated.
>
> "If you operate a Web site and wish to link to the AMG Websites, you may do
> so provided you agree to cease such link upon request from AMG." -
> http://allmusic.com/about/terms
>
> CDON.COM/EU
> http://cdon.com/
>
> Point 1 is now irrelevant and I think the EU domain could be used for all
> music links, rendering point two obsolete, also.
>
> The EU domain seems to stock all music products that the other sites do,
> combined.
>
> Example:
> http://cdon.eu/music/dylan_bob/freewheelin%27_bob_dylan-300020

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
Also, iTunes has previews that be checked without needing the
software. So that leaves just last.fm, which can be indicated as a
small paragraph in the appropriate relationship page. Can we delete
this now? Pretty please?

2011/7/15 Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren <[hidden email]>:

> WhatNotToLinkTo is not a guideline anyway, but well… While we're at
> it, CD Baby has artist pages now.
>
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:33 PM, jacobbrett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please see 'What not to link to':
>> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Relationships/URLs/What_not_to_link_to
>>
>> I think the following sites below should be okay to link to now.
>>
>> AMG
>> http://allmusic.com/
>>
>> Example:
>> http://allmusic.com/artist/p4147
>> http://allmusic.com/album/r661152
>> http://allmusic.com/song/t6527744
>>
>> The ID on the end is an "AMG [Artist/Album/Song] ID"; the URI format seems
>> unlikely to be obfuscated.
>>
>> "If you operate a Web site and wish to link to the AMG Websites, you may do
>> so provided you agree to cease such link upon request from AMG." -
>> http://allmusic.com/about/terms
>>
>> CDON.COM/EU
>> http://cdon.com/
>>
>> Point 1 is now irrelevant and I think the EU domain could be used for all
>> music links, rendering point two obsolete, also.
>>
>> The EU domain seems to stock all music products that the other sites do,
>> combined.
>>
>> Example:
>> http://cdon.eu/music/dylan_bob/freewheelin%27_bob_dylan-300020
>>
>> --

> Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

Nikki-3
That page wasn't included under Style/ because it was never official
[1], so I don't think it should have been moved there.

Also, when you want to move a page, please ask someone [2] to move it
properly. Pasting the last version on the new page and making the old
page a redirect loses all the history (well, technically it's still
there, but nobody will be able to find it) and it also doesn't move the
talk page.

I actually think the entire page should just be deleted, there's very
little on it that's still correct or not already stated somewhere else.
iTunes and CD Baby are also incorrect now. Last.fm is debatable but
would be more suited to the relevant pages (e.g. the discography
relationship page or a page talking about good/bad sources of data [3]).

Nikki

[1] "It is not an Official Style Guideline"
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/?title=Style/Miscellaneous&oldid=43735 and
there's nothing on
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/?title=What_Not_To_Link_To&oldid=30086
saying that it's official.
[2] Anyone (who's still active) from
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/?title=Special%3AListusers&username=&group=wiki-editor&limit=50
[3] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/How_To_Write_Edit_Notes I guess...

jacobbrett wrote:

> Please see 'What not to link to':
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Relationships/URLs/What_not_to_link_to
>
> I think the following sites below should be okay to link to now.
>
> AMG
> http://allmusic.com/
>
> Example:
> http://allmusic.com/artist/p4147
> http://allmusic.com/album/r661152
> http://allmusic.com/song/t6527744
>
> The ID on the end is an "AMG [Artist/Album/Song] ID"; the URI format seems
> unlikely to be obfuscated.
>
> "If you operate a Web site and wish to link to the AMG Websites, you may do
> so provided you agree to cease such link upon request from AMG." -
> http://allmusic.com/about/terms
>
> CDON.COM/EU
> http://cdon.com/
>
> Point 1 is now irrelevant and I think the EU domain could be used for all
> music links, rendering point two obsolete, also.
>
> The EU domain seems to stock all music products that the other sites do,
> combined.
>
> Example:
> http://cdon.eu/music/dylan_bob/freewheelin%27_bob_dylan-300020

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

jacobbrett
Nikki-3 wrote
That page wasn't included under Style/ because it was never official
[1], so I don't think it should have been moved there.
I apologise, an oversight on my part and indeed a mistake, too.
Also, when you want to move a page, please ask someone [2] to move it
properly. Pasting the last version on the new page and making the old
page a redirect loses all the history (well, technically it's still
there, but nobody will be able to find it) and it also doesn't move the
talk page.
Good point, sorry about that.
I actually think the entire page should just be deleted, there's very
little on it that's still correct or not already stated somewhere else.
iTunes and CD Baby are also incorrect now. Last.fm is debatable but
would be more suited to the relevant pages (e.g. the discography
relationship page or a page talking about good/bad sources of data [3]).

Nikki

[1] "It is not an Official Style Guideline"
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/?title=Style/Miscellaneous&oldid=43735 and
there's nothing on
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/?title=What_Not_To_Link_To&oldid=30086
saying that it's official.
[2] Anyone (who's still active) from
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/?title=Special%3AListusers&username=&group=wiki-editor&limit=50
[3] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/How_To_Write_Edit_Notes I guess...
In that case, shall I resubmit the RFC to delete or designate as history?
jacobbrett wrote:
> Please see 'What not to link to':
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Relationships/URLs/What_not_to_link_to
>
> I think the following sites below should be okay to link to now.
>
> AMG
> http://allmusic.com/
>
> Example:
> http://allmusic.com/artist/p4147
> http://allmusic.com/album/r661152
> http://allmusic.com/song/t6527744
>
> The ID on the end is an "AMG [Artist/Album/Song] ID"; the URI format seems
> unlikely to be obfuscated.
>
> "If you operate a Web site and wish to link to the AMG Websites, you may do
> so provided you agree to cease such link upon request from AMG." -
> http://allmusic.com/about/terms
>
> CDON.COM/EU
> http://cdon.com/
>
> Point 1 is now irrelevant and I think the EU domain could be used for all
> music links, rendering point two obsolete, also.
>
> The EU domain seems to stock all music products that the other sites do,
> combined.
>
> Example:
> http://cdon.eu/music/dylan_bob/freewheelin%27_bob_dylan-300020

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

Lemire, Sebastien-2
+1 for allowing linking to AMG (As I had suggested in the past!)
I'm of the opinion that more links from the Works/Recording/Release/Artist pages are better than fewer.
It's true that have 50+ links would look messy on an artist page but that's just a UI issue (most of them could be hidden, until clicked for example)

Sebastien

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM, jacobbrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nikki-3 wrote:

> That page wasn't included under Style/ because it was never official
> [1], so I don't think it should have been moved there.

I apologise, an oversight on my part and indeed a mistake, too.

> Also, when you want to move a page, please ask someone [2] to move it
> properly. Pasting the last version on the new page and making the old
> page a redirect loses all the history (well, technically it's still
> there, but nobody will be able to find it) and it also doesn't move the
> talk page.

Good point, sorry about that.

> I actually think the entire page should just be deleted, there's very
> little on it that's still correct or not already stated somewhere else.
> iTunes and CD Baby are also incorrect now. Last.fm is debatable but
> would be more suited to the relevant pages (e.g. the discography
> relationship page or a page talking about good/bad sources of data [3]).
>
> Nikki
>
> [1] "It is not an Official Style Guideline"
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/?title=Style/Miscellaneous&oldid=43735 and
> there's nothing on
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/?title=What_Not_To_Link_To&oldid=30086
> saying that it's official.
> [2] Anyone (who's still active) from
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/?title=Special%3AListusers&username=&group=wiki-editor&limit=50
> [3] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/How_To_Write_Edit_Notes I guess...

In that case, shall I resubmit the RFC to delete or designate as history?

> jacobbrett wrote:
>> Please see 'What not to link to':
>> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Relationships/URLs/What_not_to_link_to
>>
>> I think the following sites below should be okay to link to now.
>>
>> AMG
>> http://allmusic.com/
>>
>> Example:
>> http://allmusic.com/artist/p4147
>> http://allmusic.com/album/r661152
>> http://allmusic.com/song/t6527744
>>
>> The ID on the end is an "AMG [Artist/Album/Song] ID"; the URI format
>> seems
>> unlikely to be obfuscated.
>>
>> "If you operate a Web site and wish to link to the AMG Websites, you may
>> do
>> so provided you agree to cease such link upon request from AMG." -
>> http://allmusic.com/about/terms
>>
>> CDON.COM/EU
>> http://cdon.com/
>>
>> Point 1 is now irrelevant and I think the EU domain could be used for all
>> music links, rendering point two obsolete, also.
>>
>> The EU domain seems to stock all music products that the other sites do,
>> combined.
>>
>> Example:
>> http://cdon.eu/music/dylan_bob/freewheelin%27_bob_dylan-300020

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

Kuno Woudt
Hello,

[about http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Relationships/URLs/What_not_to_link_to ]

On 15/07/11 12:46, Nikki wrote:
> I actually think the entire page should just be deleted, there's very
> little on it that's still correct or not already stated somewhere else.
> iTunes and CD Baby are also incorrect now. Last.fm is debatable but
> would be more suited to the relevant pages (e.g. the discography
> relationship page or a page talking about good/bad sources of data [3]).

+1

-- kuno / warp.

jw

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

jw
Hello Jacob,

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 02:33:24AM -0700, jacobbrett wrote:

> I think the following sites below should be okay to link to now.
>
> AMG
> http://allmusic.com/
>
> Example:
> http://allmusic.com/artist/p4147
> http://allmusic.com/album/r661152
> http://allmusic.com/song/t6527744
>
> The ID on the end is an "AMG [Artist/Album/Song] ID"; the URI format seems
> unlikely to be obfuscated.

To what entities in MusicBrainz should these be linked to? I tried to
match the AMG albums for "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" to the releases on
MusicBrainz, but I had huge problems... is this even possible? The
database seems to be messed up, there are not enough details (no barcode,
no editing history). The r661152 album page even lists two releases by
different labels (Legacy, Sony Music Distribution), much like we had
pre-NGS.

So if we allow this, how should it be done? Should we only allow artist
page links?

Johannes

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

jacobbrett
Johannes Weißl wrote
Hello Jacob,

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 02:33:24AM -0700, jacobbrett wrote:
> I think the following sites below should be okay to link to now.
>
> AMG
> http://allmusic.com/
>
> Example:
> http://allmusic.com/artist/p4147
> http://allmusic.com/album/r661152
> http://allmusic.com/song/t6527744
>
> The ID on the end is an "AMG [Artist/Album/Song] ID"; the URI format seems
> unlikely to be obfuscated.

To what entities in MusicBrainz should these be linked to? I tried to
match the AMG albums for "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" to the releases on
MusicBrainz, but I had huge problems... is this even possible? The
database seems to be messed up, there are not enough details (no barcode,
no editing history). The r661152 album page even lists two releases by
different labels (Legacy, Sony Music Distribution), much like we had
pre-NGS.

So if we allow this, how should it be done? Should we only allow artist
page links?

Johannes

It looks as though to me (though this is just speculation) that an album page on AMG lists releases with identical recordings/mastering. There are 10 editions in total of "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan", one of which has 9 associated releases [1]. If true, then just link that edition page to the corresponding 9 MB releases.

[1] http://allmusic.com/album/the-freewheelin-bob-dylan-r6411

In regards to "songs", I'd think linking it to the work page is the best idea (AMG's data is a bit fuzzy compared to ours -- they don't seem to differentiate different recordings).
jw

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 12:27:25PM -0700, jacobbrett wrote:
> It looks as though to me (though this is just speculation) that an album
> page on AMG lists releases with identical recordings/mastering. There are 10
> editions in total of "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan", one of which has 9
> associated releases [1]. If true, then just link that edition page to the
> corresponding 9 MB releases.
>
> [1] http://allmusic.com/album/the-freewheelin-bob-dylan-r6411

Don't they have something similar to a release group? I see one entry is
marked as "Main Entry" (and I checked that other albums have that, too).
Wouldn't it be much easier and less error-prone to link from a Release
Group to this entry? It is fuzzy, but so would be the release-release
links.

I would suggest:
AMG Artist              <-->   MB Artist
AMG Album  (Main Entry) <-->   MB Release Group
AMG Song                <-->   MB Work

relationships. I have already prepared an RFC for that, so if you agree
I will submit it.

Johannes

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

Lemire, Sebastien-2

I'm remote so I can't provide an example but AMG also has some recording info for certain classical performances. I'd love for the ability to link to this as well.

Sébastien

jw

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

jw
Hello Lemire,

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 07:02:38PM -0400, Lemire, Sebastien wrote:
> I'm remote so I can't provide an example but AMG also has some recording
> info for certain classical performances. I'd love for the ability to link to
> this as well.

An example would be very helpful! This could be a very difficult
situation: If AMG uses song/tXXX URL for both our "work" and "recording"
entities, then it is more difficult to verify if a link is correct (if
the AMG page is about the recording, the song, etc.).

Johannes

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

Lemire, Sebastien-2
Hi Johannes,

For classical releases such as:
They list the works rather than tracks (something I really wish MB would adopt for Classical releases), if you click on any of the work titles you are not brought to the work page but rather to the performance page such as:

Other than the occasional performance info other recording-level can often be found here such as the recording date and recording location.

Sebastien

jw

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

jw
Hello Sebastien,

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:36:39AM -0400, Lemire, Sebastien wrote:

> For classical releases such as:
> http://www.allmusic.com/album/ravel-concerto-for-the-left-hand-sergey-prokofiev-concerto-no-3-lieutenant-kij-suite-zoltan-kodaly-hary-jnos-w10469
> They list the works rather than tracks (something I really wish MB would
> adopt for Classical releases), if you click on any of the work titles you
> are not brought to the work page but rather to the performance page such as:
> http://www.allmusic.com/performance/f86029
> http://www.allmusic.com/performance/f86030
>
> Other than the occasional performance info other recording-level can often
> be found here such as the recording date and recording location.

Oh, so that is great! What do you think about matching AMG songs to MB
works and AMG performance to MB recordings then? Do others agree?

Can you give a concrete example of an MB recording and an AMG
performance that should be linked (for the RFC I'm preparing)?

Johannes

Re: RFC-329: Removal of CDON.COM and AMG from What not to Link to

Lemire, Sebastien-2
I agree 110% percent to matching AMG songs/works to MB Works too.
Although I haven't looked at the pop song data much (they seem to just mention the composers no?) I think linking classical AMG works to MB Classical works will be invaluable as there is tons of rich data for classical works available on AMG.

To be clear I support the following possible links:
- AMG Artist -> MB Artist
- AMG Main Album -> MB Release Group
- AMG Work/Song -> MB Works
- AMG Performance Info -> MB Recording

Take note also that it's possible that a link between AMG specific release and MB Release could be made as there are different versions of an album listed individually on AMG.
Take a look at this for example: http://www.allmusic.com/album/bad-r10093
There's several editions under the "Other editions", however since they don't include the catalog # or usually the specific release date (always original release date) it may be often difficult to make the link.

Please please submit the RFC I will vote in favor :)
Sebastien

jw

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 01:39:09PM -0400, Lemire, Sebastien wrote:
> To be clear I support the following possible links:
> - AMG Artist -> MB Artist
> - AMG Main Album -> MB Release Group
> - AMG Work/Song -> MB Works
> - AMG Performance Info -> MB Recording
>
> Please please submit the RFC I will vote in favor :)

Will do, thanks!

> Take note also that it's possible that a link between AMG specific release
> and MB Release could be made as there are different versions of an album
> listed individually on AMG.
> Take a look at this for example: http://www.allmusic.com/album/bad-r10093
> There's several editions under the "Other editions", however since they
> don't include the catalog # or usually the specific release date (always
> original release date) it may be often difficult to make the link.

Yes... but as you said, it is difficult, since they don't have the same
release concept as we have in NGS (more like pre-NGS), and since they
don't provide much information to validate such a link...

So for now I would like to restrict it to performance/work/release
group/artist.

Johannes

jacobbrett wrote:
> In that case, shall I resubmit the RFC to delete or designate as history?

That's a good question, I don't really know what we're supposed to do
with wiki pages which aren't actually official guidelines. I guess I'll
just move it to the history namespace now and if anyone thinks there's
something on there that should be saved, I'd suggest they create their
own RFC to officially add it wherever makes the most sense.

Nikki