RFC-STYLE 122: Artist intent rewrite

practik
I've completely rewritten the Artist Intent guideline, hopefully making it clearer and more logically structured.  Let me know what you think!

Details in Jira: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-122

Previous discussion:
http://musicbrainz.1054305.n4.nabble.com/On-artist-intent-reasoning-td4634049.html

Expiration: 21:00 on 2012-06-18

Re: RFC-STYLE 122: Artist intent rewrite

Alex Mauer
On 06/11/2012 03:46 PM, practik wrote:
> I've completely rewritten the Artist Intent guideline, hopefully making it
> clearer and more logically structured.  Let me know what you think!

+1, I like it!

Re: RFC-STYLE 122: Artist intent rewrite

Staffan Vilcans

practik wrote:
> I've completely rewritten the Artist Intent guideline, hopefully making it
> clearer and more logically structured.  Let me know what you think!

Perhaps it should say something about how to determine the difference
between intent and incompetence. Many Japanese bands use Latin band names
in either all upper or lower case. The use is often very consistent, but
it it intentional or just that they aren't that familiar with Latin
characters.

--
http://www.interface1.net

Re: RFC-STYLE 122: Artist intent rewrite

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Staffan Vilcans
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> practik wrote:
>> I've completely rewritten the Artist Intent guideline, hopefully making it
>> clearer and more logically structured.  Let me know what you think!
>
> Perhaps it should say something about how to determine the difference
> between intent and incompetence. Many Japanese bands use Latin band names
> in either all upper or lower case. The use is often very consistent, but
> it it intentional or just that they aren't that familiar with Latin
> characters.

We usually treat it as intent, and our guidelines for English have had
an exception for Japanese stuff for ages:
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Language/English "However, for
releases by Japanese Artists that contain track names in English see
Style/Language/Japanese"

> --
> http://www.interface1.net

Re: RFC-STYLE 122: Artist intent rewrite

practik
Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps it should say something about how to determine the difference
> between intent and incompetence. Many Japanese bands use Latin band names
> in either all upper or lower case. The use is often very consistent, but
> it it intentional or just that they aren't that familiar with Latin
> characters.

We usually treat it as intent, and our guidelines for English have had
an exception for Japanese stuff for ages:
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Language/English "However, for
releases by Japanese Artists that contain track names in English see
Style/Language/Japanese"
Thanks; I've added a line about this with a link to the Japanese style guidelines.

Patrick