RFC STYLE-233: New cover art types

Rachel Dwight
In my travels around the database I have run into instances where we lack appropriate cover art types. There were many I noticed but a few seemed common enough to mention. They are as follows:
Poster: a poster included with a release. May be the same size as the packaging or larger (in this case it would fold out). Such posters are often printed on the back of a fold-out booklet but are sometimes bundled separately.
Example release: http://musicbrainz.org/release/182e3961-3bc7-4a7d-9360-c3b09ea17704
Liner: a protective sleeve surrounding a medium (usually a vinyl record, but sometimes a CD); often printed with notes or images.
Example release: http://musicbrainz.org/release/8eaad0e2-0905-469c-8b81-2f207e9137a0

Expected expiration date: 2013-8-22

Re: RFC STYLE-233: New cover art types

lixobix
Seems good to me.

On 08/08/2013 07:15 AM, Rachel Dwight wrote:
> Poster: a poster included with a release. May be the same size as the
> packaging or larger (in this case it would fold out).

> Liner: a protective sleeve surrounding a medium (usually a vinyl record,
> but sometimes a CD); often printed with notes or images.

+1

Re: RFC STYLE-233: New cover art types

tommycrock

+1 from me too.

Is it also worth having something like inside as a type? I know we've got tray and booklet but on digipaks and gatefolds there's often plenty of art on the inside folds that it'd be nice not to have to tag as other.

On Aug 8, 2013 5:13 PM, "Alex Mauer" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/08/2013 07:15 AM, Rachel Dwight wrote:
> Poster: a poster included with a release. May be the same size as the
> packaging or larger (in this case it would fold out).

> Liner: a protective sleeve surrounding a medium (usually a vinyl record,
> but sometimes a CD); often printed with notes or images.

+1

Re: RFC STYLE-233: New cover art types

LordSputnik

I'd support something like inside too, but perhaps not with that name.

+1 for proposal as is

On Aug 8, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Tom Crocker <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 from me too.

Is it also worth having something like inside as a type? I know we've got tray and booklet but on digipaks and gatefolds there's often plenty of art on the inside folds that it'd be nice not to have to tag as other.

I don't know the official terms for such art. If I ever find out what they are I'll make another ticket.

On Aug 8, 2013 5:13 PM, "Alex Mauer" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/08/2013 07:15 AM, Rachel Dwight wrote:
> Poster: a poster included with a release. May be the same size as the
> packaging or larger (in this case it would fold out).

> Liner: a protective sleeve surrounding a medium (usually a vinyl record,
> but sometimes a CD); often printed with notes or images.

+1

Re: RFC STYLE-233: New cover art types

tommycrock

I think they're variously called inner front cover, interior or inner gatefold cover, inner back cover

On Aug 8, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Tom Crocker <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 from me too.

Is it also worth having something like inside as a type? I know we've got tray and booklet but on digipaks and gatefolds there's often plenty of art on the inside folds that it'd be nice not to have to tag as other.

I don't know the official terms for such art. If I ever find out what they are I'll make another ticket.

On Aug 8, 2013 5:13 PM, "Alex Mauer" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/08/2013 07:15 AM, Rachel Dwight wrote:
> Poster: a poster included with a release. May be the same size as the
> packaging or larger (in this case it would fold out).

> Liner: a protective sleeve surrounding a medium (usually a vinyl record,
> but sometimes a CD); often printed with notes or images.

+1

Re: RFC STYLE-233: New cover art types

Lemire, Sebastien-2
Inner front and inner back cover might work for vinyl too right?

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Tom Crocker <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think they're variously called inner front cover, interior or inner gatefold cover, inner back cover

On Aug 8, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Tom Crocker <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 from me too.

Is it also worth having something like inside as a type? I know we've got tray and booklet but on digipaks and gatefolds there's often plenty of art on the inside folds that it'd be nice not to have to tag as other.

I don't know the official terms for such art. If I ever find out what they are I'll make another ticket.

On Aug 8, 2013 5:13 PM, "Alex Mauer" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/08/2013 07:15 AM, Rachel Dwight wrote:
> Poster: a poster included with a release. May be the same size as the
> packaging or larger (in this case it would fold out).

> Liner: a protective sleeve surrounding a medium (usually a vinyl record,
> but sometimes a CD); often printed with notes or images.

+1

Re: RFC STYLE-233: New cover art types

LordSputnik

Why not just "inner cover"? :)

On Aug 8, 2013 9:37 PM, "Ben Ockmore" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why not just "inner cover"? :)

Yeah, that was the kind of thing I was aiming at. A bit of a catch all but not as much as other.

On Aug 8, 2013 9:04 PM, "Lemire, Sebastien" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Inner front and inner back cover might work for vinyl too right?

Yes, and gatefold but I'm not sure it needs to be that specific, only because then you might start to worry about which side of which panel of a trifold or quadfold panel you're talking about. And I'm not sure that's worth codifying.  But I'd find a general inside / inner more useful than tray, which is a specific inner.