RFC-STYLE-234. Work lyrics option : translated→adapted

RFC-STYLE-234. Work lyrics option : translated→adapted

jesus2099
RFC http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-234

1. Direct translation is very rare with songs.
2. Most seen credits are either language-name-here adaptations or language-name-here lyrics (new lyrics) : we have to analyse whether it is direct translation or not, which goes against simple credit setting from release to MB.
3. Having -translated-→+adapted+ option to lyrics would be closer to most seen credits and less guessing and less debatable when editing.

Most seen credits in french : adaptation française (french adaptation), is it not ?
Most seen credits in vietnamese : lời Việt (vietnamese lyrics).
Most seen credits in japanese : 訳詞(translate lyrics)
I don’t really have experience for english credits, and you ?

RFC end date : 16 august 2013
 PATATE12   jesus2099   GOLD MASTER KING   FAKE E-MAIL ADDRESS

Re: RFC-STYLE-234. Work lyrics option : translated→adapted

LordSputnik

I don't see the problem with translated. It's easy to understand, and doesn't necessarily mean a word-for-word exact translation.

Re: RFC-STYLE-234. Work lyrics option : translated→adapted

jesus2099
is it the word that is mostly printed rather than adapt ?
In french, *adaptation* (adapt) is better suited and most used than *traduction* (tranlsate).
 PATATE12   jesus2099   GOLD MASTER KING   FAKE E-MAIL ADDRESS

Re: RFC-STYLE-234. Work lyrics option : translated→adapted

jesus2099
I’ve been using translated optuion as just a keyword saying this work is in other language but have been criticised it was not real translations.
Ultiumately, we don’t even need such an option if it doesn’t just mean other language as we already have the work lanuages that are different.
I’m always very worried with what to do with this option and maybe it’s because of this name…
 PATATE12   jesus2099   GOLD MASTER KING   FAKE E-MAIL ADDRESS

Re: RFC-STYLE-234. Work lyrics option : translated→adapted

Alex Mauer
On 08/09/2013 11:14 AM, jesus2099 wrote:
> I’ve been using translated optuion as just a keyword saying this work is in
> other language but have been criticised it was not real translations.
> Ultiumately, we don’t even need such an option if it doesn’t just mean other
> language as we already have the work lanuages that are different.
> I’m always very worried with what to do with this option and maybe it’s
> because of this name…

I think it’s because of the text description of the translated attribute:

“This attribute indicates a version with the lyrics in a different
language than the original.”

2013/8/9 jesus2099 <[hidden email]>
I’ve been using translated optuion as just a keyword saying this work is in
other language but have been criticised it was not real translations.
Ultiumately, we don’t even need such an option if it doesn’t just mean other
language as we already have the work lanuages that are different.
I’m always very worried with what to do with this option and maybe it’s
because of this name…

There was a discussion about just this problem a few years ago, but the consensus was that translation was enough and that MB indeed considers My Way as a translation of Comme d'habitude, which is semantically wrong. Translation AR should be understood as "Different language" AR.

Re: RFC-STYLE-234. Work lyrics option : translated→adapted

jesus2099
Frederic Da Vitoria wrote
There was a discussion about just this problem a few years ago, but the
consensus was that translation was enough and that MB indeed considers My
Way as a translation of Comme d'habitude, which is semantically wrong.
Translation AR should be understood as "Different language" AR.
MB translation could be understood as just different language IF we eventually rename it to something else than translation, adaptation sounds best for this purpose, for instance.

Maybe There was a discussion about just this problem a few years ago, but the  consensus was that translation was enough but the editor only sees the misleading translation word when editing and no other option.

Because indeed your example is good because famous, MY WAY is an MB translation of COMME D’HABITUDE even though in real life it is NOT a translation.
If the word we used were made different now, we would not have any more conflicting edits and most probably less point of view conflicts.

The problem i wanted to point out is that very often it is not even a translation at all.
 PATATE12   jesus2099   GOLD MASTER KING   FAKE E-MAIL ADDRESS

Re: RFC-STYLE-234. Work lyrics option : translated→adapted

jesus2099
RFC dropped in favour of http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-296
 PATATE12   jesus2099   GOLD MASTER KING   FAKE E-MAIL ADDRESS