RFC STYLE-255: Merge "microblog" into "social network"

RFC STYLE-255: Merge "microblog" into "social network"

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren

"Microblog" is a word that almost nobody who actually has a Twitter account uses (and that's pretty much the only microblogging network we have links to anyway) - every artist I've seen calls it a social network and we get confused artists quite often because they want to select social network and microblog is forced on them (last example, http://musicbrainz.org/edit/23940587 )

So, I'd like to merge this into "social network" (like with Facebook) and get rid of the "microblog" relationship.

Ticket is at http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-255

Expected RFV date is Oct 8.

Re: RFC STYLE-255: Merge "microblog" into "social network"

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
On 01.10.2013 13:19, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:

> "Microblog" is a word that almost nobody who actually has a Twitter
> account uses (and that's pretty much the only microblogging network
> we
> have links to anyway) - every artist I've seen calls it a social
> network and we get confused artists quite often because they want to
> select social network and microblog is forced on them (last
> example, http://musicbrainz.org/edit/23940587 [1] )
>
> So, I'd like to merge this into "social network" (like with Facebook)
> and get rid of the "microblog" relationship.
>
>  Ticket is at http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-255 [2]
>
>  Expected RFV date is Oct 8.

plus one.

-- warp.

Re: RFC STYLE-255: Merge "microblog" into "social network"

Kuno Woudt
On 01.10.2013 14:01, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:

> On 01.10.2013 13:19, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:
>> "Microblog" is a word that almost nobody who actually has a Twitter
>> account uses (and that's pretty much the only microblogging network
>> we
>> have links to anyway) - every artist I've seen calls it a social
>> network and we get confused artists quite often because they want to
>> select social network and microblog is forced on them (last
>> example, http://musicbrainz.org/edit/23940587 [1] )
>>
>> So, I'd like to merge this into "social network" (like with
>> Facebook)
>> and get rid of the "microblog" relationship.
>>
>>  Ticket is at http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-255 [2]
>>
>>  Expected RFV date is Oct 8.
>
> plus one.
>
> -- warp.

Woops, obviously that was supposed to be from me.
Seems this e-mail client has an interesting bug.

To be clear, that "plus one" is actually from me, and not nicolas
doing a bad impersonation.

-- warp.

Re: RFC STYLE-255: Merge "microblog" into "social network"

jesus2099
Isn’t it rather a blog than social network ? I just know twitter from far away, but I thought it was a blog…
 PATATE12   jesus2099   GOLD MASTER KING   FAKE E-MAIL ADDRESS

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM, jesus2099 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Isn’t it rather a blog than social network ? I just know twitter from far away, but I thought it was a blog…

Originally, that was kind of the idea - that's why the concept was called "microblogging". But it certainly wouldn't be the expected term for almost anyone - the artists just don't see it as a blog at all, but more close to a Facebook page (which in some ways, also *is* somewhat of a blog, but :) )

Re: RFC STYLE-255: Merge "microblog" into "social network"

LordSputnik

+1

Also haha at reo seemingly +1'ing himself..!

On 1 Oct 2013 14:25, "Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM, jesus2099 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Isn’t it rather a blog than social network ? I just know twitter from far away, but I thought it was a blog…

Originally, that was kind of the idea - that's why the concept was called "microblogging". But it certainly wouldn't be the expected term for almost anyone - the artists just don't see it as a blog at all, but more close to a Facebook page (which in some ways, also *is* somewhat of a blog, but :) )

Re: RFC STYLE-255: Merge "microblog" into "social network"

"Frederik “Freso” S. Olesen"
Den 01-10-2013 15:21, jesus2099 skrev:
> Isn’t it rather a blog than social network ? I just know twitter from
> far away, but I thought it was a blog…

It could be argued that blogs are autonomous units in a large social
network (ie., the "Blogosphere").

Anyway. Very few people use Twitter like a blog (even if the term
microblogging is technically the proper term for what it is), and most
use it as a form of outreach to and communication with other people
(e.g., fans and other artists) - ie., as a social network.

+1 to the suggestion from me.

--
Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>