RFC STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RFC STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

th1rtyf0ur
Expected RFV: 2014-01-31
Ticket link: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-288

A number of artists/bands on MB are tributes (aka cover bands) to other
artists- this will allow these to be related via AR. This is for specific
tribute/cover artists, not general "'80s music"-type cover bands.

Proposed doc: http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Th1rtyf0ur/Relationship_Type_/_Tribute_Artist

Not entirely sure exactly what the classes/categories are, or how the
relationship template handles things that show up in the final docs like
forward/reverse/long link phrase, etc. so this will likely need a bit of
tweaking, but hopefully the rest is ok. It looks like the "long" link
phrase only appears in the pulldown for AR creations/edits, so for
consistency this'd be "is/was a tribute to".

_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-style mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-style
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

Staffan Vilcans

th1rtyf0ur skrev:

> A number of artists/bands on MB are tributes (aka cover bands) to other
> artists- this will allow these to be related via AR. This is for specific
> tribute/cover artists, not general "'80s music"-type cover bands.

The problem is with a band that starts out as a tribute band and then
evolves to also perform own songs to tell where the break is.

For instance Plan 9 started out as a Misfits tribute band and Rasta Knast
can be called an Asta Kask tribute band.

--
http://www.interface1.net


_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-style mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-style
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

Mihai Spinei
isn’t this what the start/end dates in Advanced Relationships are for?

On Friday, January 24, 2014 at 17:15, Staffan Vilcans wrote:


th1rtyf0ur skrev:

A number of artists/bands on MB are tributes (aka cover bands) to other
artists- this will allow these to be related via AR. This is for specific
tribute/cover artists, not general "'80s music"-type cover bands.

The problem is with a band that starts out as a tribute band and then
evolves to also perform own songs to tell where the break is.

For instance Plan 9 started out as a Misfits tribute band and Rasta Knast
can be called an Asta Kask tribute band.

--


_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-style mailing list


_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-style mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-style
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

Staffan Vilcans

Mihai Spinei skrev:

> isn’t this what the start/end dates in Advanced Relationships are for?

Yes, but how can you possibly able to tell that on this specific date the
band was no longer a tribute band? The first time they played an own song?

>> The problem is with a band that starts out as a tribute band and then
>> evolves to also perform own songs to tell where the break is.

--
http://www.interface1.net


_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-style mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-style
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

Mihai Spinei
Staffan Vilcans wrote:
Yes, but how can you possibly able to tell that on this specific date the
band was no longer a tribute band? The first time they played an own song?
Taking a band I’m familiar with. 
BUCK-TICK ceased to be a cover band in 1984: "The band played as Buck-Tick for the first time in late 1984 at a contest called Popcon (which is short for Popular Song Contest) sponsored by Yamaha. Again they wore suits but this time they played original songs” 
taken from http://www.bucktickzone.com/history/1984.shtml 

Personally, I’d set the end date with their first performance of their own songs.

_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-style mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-style
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

jesus2099
In reply to this post by Staffan Vilcans
When an AR is ended and we don’t know the date, we just check the ENDED checkbox. :)
 PATATE12   jesus2099   GOLD MASTER KING   FAKE E-MAIL ADDRESS 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

jesus2099
In reply to this post by Mihai Spinei
A cover band (BUCK-TICK) is something else, they do covers of several artists, it’s not particularly in tribute to all those artists but to have material to perform without writing.
 PATATE12   jesus2099   GOLD MASTER KING   FAKE E-MAIL ADDRESS 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
In reply to this post by th1rtyf0ur
On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 9:35 AM, th1rtyf0ur <[hidden email]> wrote:
Expected RFV: 2014-01-31
Ticket link: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-288

A number of artists/bands on MB are tributes (aka cover bands) to other
artists- this will allow these to be related via AR. This is for specific
tribute/cover artists, not general "'80s music"-type cover bands.

Proposed doc: http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Th1rtyf0ur/Relationship_Type_/_Tribute_Artist 

Sounds quite reasonable. +1 :)
 
Not entirely sure exactly what the classes/categories are, or how the
relationship template handles things that show up in the final docs like
forward/reverse/long link phrase, etc. so this will likely need a bit of
tweaking, but hopefully the rest is ok.

Old, outdated crap which doesn't matter at all. The docs will go into the server once ready anyway (we just haven't managed to remove *all* the wiki pages yet) so what you have is perfectly fine.


--
Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren

_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-style mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-style
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

th1rtyf0ur
In reply to this post by jesus2099
On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 01:54:56AM -0800, jesus2099 wrote:
> A cover band (BUCK-TICK) is something else, they do covers of several
> artists, it’s not particularly in tribute to all those artists but to
> have material to perform without writing.

BUCK-TICK started off as a cover band of The Stalin (from spring-summer
1984), while they were still named Hinan Go-Go. Hence the example w/ the
start-end dates in the wiki doc proposal. :)

Now, whether to add Hinan Go-Go as an alias or a separate artist with a
"performed as" relationship is another issue that I don't really feel like
dealing with at the moment... :P

_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-style mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-style
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

Rachel Dwight

On Jan 24, 2014, at 7:16 AM, th1rtyf0ur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 01:54:56AM -0800, jesus2099 wrote:
>> A cover band (BUCK-TICK) is something else, they do covers of several
>> artists, it’s not particularly in tribute to all those artists but to
>> have material to perform without writing.
>
> BUCK-TICK started off as a cover band of The Stalin (from spring-summer
> 1984), while they were still named Hinan Go-Go. Hence the example w/ the
> start-end dates in the wiki doc proposal. :)
>
> Now, whether to add Hinan Go-Go as an alias or a separate artist with a
> "performed as" relationship is another issue that I don't really feel like
> dealing with at the moment... :P

I was planning to make a ticket for a “changed name to” AR sometime soon.

>
> _______________________________________________
> MusicBrainz-style mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-style


_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-style mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-style
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
This is ready for RFV.

_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-style mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-style