RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

12

RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

Rachel Dwight
Due to me being sleepy and not seeing the clock correctly, I mistakenly set the wrong date for an RFV on this ticket.
I did in fact check and there really isn't an official name for the fatbox; that and "double jewel case" are the most common names used.

Pics for the record:
Expected expiration date: 2013-7-19

On Jul 17, 2013, at 8:02 AM, Tom Crocker <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think you're right to go with fatbox over double jewel case because that can also be used for a (standard width) jewel case with folding, double-sided tray.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was tempted to add that as a packaging type but decided to hold off until we can get a better system in place.

On 17 July 2013 13:29, Rachel Dwight <[hidden email]> wrote:
Due to me being sleepy and not seeing the clock correctly, I mistakenly set the wrong date for an RFV on this ticket.
I did in fact check and there really isn't an official name for the fatbox; that and "double jewel case" are the most common names used.

Pics for the record:
Expected expiration date: 2013-7-19

Re: RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

LordSputnik

Yes, I think so. If possible, it would be good to get openly licenced images so we aren't violating anyone's copyright... Perhaps some someone could take photos of cases? I don't have my CD collection with me or I would do a few...

On 29 Jul 2013 08:46, "Tom Crocker" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has this passed yet?

On 17 July 2013 13:29, Rachel Dwight <[hidden email]> wrote:
Due to me being sleepy and not seeing the clock correctly, I mistakenly set the wrong date for an RFV on this ticket.
I did in fact check and there really isn't an official name for the fatbox; that and "double jewel case" are the most common names used.

Pics for the record:
Expected expiration date: 2013-7-19

Re: RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
Wondering what the difference is between that snapcase photo and a digipak... I'd certainly have used digipak for that (and just cardboard sleeve for the vinyl, but there at least there's a clear difference)

Nicolás

Re: RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

Frederic Da Vitoria

According to wikipedia, snap case is rather used for DVDs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_case. If this is indeed what we are talking about, it is quite different from digipack. In the snap case, it is the cover which "snaps". In digipack, it would rather be the disc. I have a few DVDs matching this description, IIRC simple DVDs, nothing I would enter in MB. I could post a photo, but wouldn't the cover itself be copyrighted?

Re: RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

LordSputnik

You may be able to upload the cover images to CAA as cover art for a release (if it exists in mb). Then we can just link to the CAA images in the wiki.

Re: RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

tommycrock
As long as no-one deletes it for me having already uploaded the individual panels...

On 07/29/2013 07:40 AM, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:
> Wondering what the difference is between that snapcase photo and a
> digipak... I'd certainly have used digipak for that (and just cardboard
> sleeve for the vinyl, but there at least there's a clear difference)

The difference is that the snap case is designed so that the left
plastic part actually breaks off (that is not a fold-point, you actually
break it there). Then you can fold the cardboard over and it is at that
point similar to a digipak.

It’s exclusive to 8cm CDs. Presumably it’s to make the packaging larger
to make shoplifting harder.

Wikipedia says [1] “Japanese (8 cm) 3" CD singles were called 3" CD
snap-packs, as they could be 'snapped' and folded into a small square
rather than being the original 6×3-inch (15×8 cm) length type of
packaging when sold.”

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_CD_single

On 07/29/2013 08:13 AM, Ben Ockmore wrote:
> You may be able to upload the cover images to CAA as cover art for a
> release (if it exists in mb). Then we can just link to the CAA images in
> the wiki.

Why not just upload them to the wiki itself?

Re: RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

tommycrock
here's another that maybe emphasises the gatefoldiness a bit more. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39561993/MBz/packaging/IMG_2441.JPG
But I'd rather not put that one on the cover art archive because I don't think it's what people are looking for there is it?

On 29 July 2013 17:43, Alex Mauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/29/2013 08:13 AM, Ben Ockmore wrote:
> You may be able to upload the cover images to CAA as cover art for a
> release (if it exists in mb). Then we can just link to the CAA images in
> the wiki.

Why not just upload them to the wiki itself?

I'm guessing it's so that if there are any copyright complaints they can be directed to the CAA

Re: RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

2013/7/29 Ben Ockmore <[hidden email]>

You may be able to upload the cover images to CAA as cover art for a release (if it exists in mb). Then we can just link to the CAA imHitchcock's ages in the wiki.

Sorry, the only snap case I have is Hitchcock's North by Northwest. I can blur the cover if that helps avoiding copyright issues.

Re: RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

rossetyler

CAA snap case:
http://musicbrainz.org/release/2ff90f71-983d-4c32-8818-529e48aafc70/cover-art

On Jul 29, 2013 12:58 PM, "Frederic Da Vitoria" <[hidden email]> wrote:
2013/7/29 Ben Ockmore <[hidden email]>

You may be able to upload the cover images to CAA as cover art for a release (if it exists in mb). Then we can just link to the CAA imHitchcock's ages in the wiki.

Sorry, the only snap case I have is Hitchcock's North by Northwest. I can blur the cover if that helps avoiding copyright issues.

Re: RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

David Gasaway
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Ross Tyler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> CAA snap case:
> http://musicbrainz.org/release/2ff90f71-983d-4c32-8818-529e48aafc70/cover-art

I have a number of those.  But they do not seem to be the same as what
Rachel is proposing.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- Email: [hidden email]

Re: RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

rossetyler

Wikipedia seems to describe mine as such

On Jul 29, 2013, at 6:26 PM, David Gasaway <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Ross Tyler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> CAA snap case:
>> http://musicbrainz.org/release/2ff90f71-983d-4c32-8818-529e48aafc70/cover-art
>
> I have a number of those.  But they do not seem to be the same as what
> Rachel is proposing.

Nah, it looks right.
The Wikipedia article did say snap cases have been used for 12cm CDs and DVDs. They're not exclusive to Japanese 8cm singles (though that's where they were most used).

> --
> -:-:- David K. Gasaway
> -:-:- Email: [hidden email]

Re: RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

th1rtyf0ur
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 06:06:48PM -0700, Ross Tyler wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2013 4:27 PM, "David Gasaway" <[2][hidden email]> wrote:
>> CAA snap case:
>> [4]http://musicbrainz.org/release/2ff90f71-983d-4c32-8818-529e48aafc70/cover-art
> Wikipedia seems to describe mine as such
> [1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_case

It's hard to tell from the CAA pictures (since it's opened flat), but-
provided we're talking about the same thing- the right edge of the black
plastic (with the arrow) folds over the cardboard cover, & looks like this
when closed:
http://eil.com/images/main/Soul+Coughing+-+Sugar+Free+Jazz+-+5%22+CD+SINGLE-409920.jpg

The 8cm mini CD cases that snap (i.e. partially, but intentionally, break)
in half seem to be called SnapPack, not snap case, so that might be part
of the confusion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_CD_single

Re: RFV STYLE-227: More new packaging types

rossetyler

Yes, it is hard to tell but zoom in on the hi-res CAA picture and you'll see it's the same as yours

On Jul 29, 2013 6:21 PM, "Rachel Dwight" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 29, 2013, at 6:26 PM, David Gasaway <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Ross Tyler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> CAA snap case:
>> http://musicbrainz.org/release/2ff90f71-983d-4c32-8818-529e48aafc70/cover-art
>
> I have a number of those.  But they do not seem to be the same as what
> Rachel is proposing.

Nah, it looks right.
The Wikipedia article did say snap cases have been used for 12cm CDs and DVDs. They're not exclusive to Japanese 8cm singles (though that's where they were most used).

> --
> -:-:- David K. Gasaway
> -:-:- Email: [hidden email]

12