RFV STYLE-283: “Imprint” label type / AR

RFV STYLE-283: “Imprint” label type / AR

Alex Mauer
STYLE ticket: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-283
Proposed AR documentation:
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Hawke/Proposal/Imprint_AR
Previous discussion:
http://chatlogs.musicbrainz.org/musicbrainz/2014/2014-01/2014-01-14.html#T01-14-41-677717

Expiration date: 2014-01-26

As the RFC has received a +1, on to the RFV.

I propose adding a new label type “Imprint” for label entities which are
merely a logo, and have no company behind them.

In addition, I propose an AR for this imprint label type, “has imprint”.
This would basically be the same as the “subsidiary” AR, but for
imprints specifically.

The idea behind this is to help distinguish the labels when a logo has
similar text to the name of the company that owns it, and/or has
transferred through several owners over the years.

This does not mean that every standalone label needs to be split into
two: If an “original production” label simply uses its own logo as the
imprint, it should be acceptable to only have the one label in MB. This
AR is intended for more situations when an imprint label is created for
a specific product line or has more complex lineage.

Re: RFV STYLE-283: “Imprint” label type / AR

Alex Mauer
On 1/24/2014 11:44 AM, Alex Mauer wrote:

> STYLE ticket: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-283
> Proposed AR documentation:
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Hawke/Proposal/Imprint_AR
> Previous discussion:
> http://chatlogs.musicbrainz.org/musicbrainz/2014/2014-01/2014-01-14.html#T01-14-41-677717
>
> Expiration date: 2014-01-26
>
> As the RFC has received a +1, on to the RFV.
>
> I propose adding a new label type “Imprint” for label entities which are
> merely a logo, and have no company behind them.

And with no veto, this has passed.

Re: RFV STYLE-283: “Imprint” label type / AR

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
Relationship added. Type will be added when the devs are around. Please update http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Label/Type in the meantime :)

post-RFV STYLE-283: “Imprint” label type / AR

Alex Mauer
On 01/27/2014 03:20 AM, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:
> Relationship added. Type will be added when the devs are around. Please
> update http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Label/Type in the meantime :)

Done.

I may have strayed a bit into -style territory with the “Imprint vs.
Company” section, but I felt it needed some clarification that we don’t
need to make a separate 'imprint' and 'original production' label every
time a company uses its own logo.

Comments welcome, of course.