RFV STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

RFV STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

th1rtyf0ur
Moving to RFV stage.

Expected pass: 2014-02-10
Ticket link: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-288

A number of artists/bands on MB are tributes (aka cover bands) to other
artists- this will allow these to be related via AR. This is for specific
tribute/cover artists, not general "'80s music"-type cover bands.

As mentioned in the doc, bands that start off as cover/tribute bands and
change to original bands (or vice versa) can be accomodated with start &
end dates.

Proposed doc: http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Th1rtyf0ur/Relationship_Type_/_Tribute_Artist

Re: RFV STYLE-288: allow "tribute" artist-artist AR

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
Passed; added.

I'm confused about the BUCK-TICK example since it says 1984 but we claim the band was founded in 1985. So please check that one :)

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 01:15:56PM +0100, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:
> Passed; added.
> I'm confused about the BUCK-TICK example since it says 1984 but we claim
> the band was founded in 1985. So please check that one :)

Yeah, that's a tricky one. They "formed" as Hinan Go-Go in 1984 & played
some shows doing The Stalin covers, swapped a couple members out, & then
started doing original shows & changed their name to Buck-Tick in 1985
(which is when their "official" formation is considered to have happened).
So I should probably set the 'form' date to 1984 & add Hinan Go-Go as an
alias for that range... or would it be more appropriate to consider that a
separate band (in which case, which AR to link the 2? subgroup?)?

On a related note, the concept of when a band "formed" is sometimes hotly
debated- is it when the founding member(s) first decided they wanted to
start a band? When they had their first practice/concert/release? When the
official bio disagrees w/ interviews or other info, which one do we go
with?