Re: Discography YAML Schema Proposal (Lucas Gonze)

Re: Discography YAML Schema Proposal (Lucas Gonze)

Pushtape
Hi Lucas,

Thanks, yes, this type of feedback is helpful. YAML was chosen primarily because it is a superset of JSON and is, on a very basic level, a method of storing structured data in a human friendly way. XML is hard to write because of the tags, and JSON is a bit noisier due to brackets.

Yes, it would probably be a good idea to define elements more explicitly, their format, and structure. The idea of writing a spec is daunting, and your questions make me rethink how I should approach this.

In my mind I like the idea of someone being able to create or edit this type of file by hand, primarily as a fast way of populating a Drupal database or some other CMS, and likewise as a way to export data in a way that isn't just a SQL dump or spreadsheet. I see it as document that is a combination of a sitemap + metadata, in that it intends to represent music data, but the ultimate destination is markup/HTML - for it to be imported/interpreted and displayed via a web browser.  It would be something that could generate a discography website (like a config file?), as opposed to merely representing one that already exists. The target audience is a musician or record label that needs a way to easily manage their discography metadata, without getting tripped up or locked into specific CMS's, software packages, machine formats, etc.

Definitely need to think about this some more and figure out what the design constraints are...

Thanks,
zirafa

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:09:24 -0800
From: Lucas Gonze <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Playlist] Discography YAML Schema Proposal

Hi Zirafa, here are some thoughts.

I think all work of this kind helps push open music forward. It's cool
that your basic strategy is Drupal-oriented.

Is it critical that the document be YAML, or are XML and JSON
equivalent? I wonder if it's necessary for your semantics to travel
with YAML syntax.

You might be interested in comparing elements in Discography.yaml to
other formats with an eye towards sharing. EG Dublin Core uses "Title"
instead of "title", XSPF uses "title", Music Ontology imports Dublin
Core as a name space and uses "dc:title" (lowercase?!).

A sample document is good for teaching people how to use the format.
Writing up the field definitions is helpful for those writing parsers.

Defining the ordinality of an element is helpful for figuring out
whether a document is usable. (e.g. 0 or 1, 0 or more, 1 only, 1 or
more). The MUST/MAY/SHALL thing is very helpful for parser authors.

What's the format of the release-date? Date parsing can be a hassle.
If you state a well known format with existing libraries you will
allow people to use libraries.

Hope this is the kind of feedback you were looking for.

Good luck!

-Lucas