Re: [mb-users] Performed or guest performed?

Re: [mb-users] Performed or guest performed?

Robert (Jamie) Munro
Matt Howe wrote:

>I have noticed that most AR listings for featured artists are being listed as
>"performed by" whereas the "guest performed" description plainly says:
>
>This attribute indicates a 'guest' performance where the performer is not
>usually part of the band.
>
>For example:
>
>Kylie Minogue:
>performed Where the Wild Roses Grow (feat. Kylie Minogue)
>
>IMO, this should be "guest performed" as Kylie Minogue isn't usually a part of
>Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

This is because most of them (25000 or so) were added automatically.
Changing them to guest performed in the cases where that is more
appropriate is strongly encouraged.

I've matched all the tracks called "[track] (feat. [name])" where [name]
is an aritst name, an artist sortname or an artist alias. Where multiple
artists have the same name, it may be linked to both of them. One or
other of these should be removed. Where a track is called (feat. [name])
and name is simply wrong, please edit the track name as well as removing
the link, otherwise it could conceivably be re-added.

There are still a lot of tracks with names of the form "[track] (feat.
[name1] and [name2])" and variations thereof that I plan to tackle soon.

Robert (Jamie) Munro

Re: [mb-users] Performed or guest performed?

g0llum
> This is because most of them (25000 or so) were added automatically.
> Changing them to guest performed in the cases where that is more
> appropriate is strongly encouraged.

I mean no disrespect for your work, it's a useful
thing, rather than having to add them manually
which nobody would ever do (with the current
interface that is...) but i think mdhowe's point is
important. please change the type to guest performed
for future iterations of the feat. script, which IMO
is more appropriate...
g0llum

Matt Howe wrote:

> Kylie Minogue:
> performed Where the Wild Roses Grow (feat. Kylie Minogue)
>
> IMO, this should be "guest performed" as Kylie Minogue isn't usually a part of
> Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I think that it depends on how it is credited on the album.

If it's credited to "Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (feat. Kylie Minogue)"
it should be a guest performance.

If it's credited to "Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and Kylie Minogue" (OK,
this is really a bad example since that doesn't read well ... perhaps
better would be some of the spoken tracks on the Kill Bill vol. 2
soundtrack which are credited to "David Carradine and Uma Thurman") it
should be "performed" for both since they both had equal participation.

and if it's credited as "Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds with Kylie Minogue"
it should be "additionally performed".  (I think.  I'm not actually sure
what the difference would be between "guest" and "additional"

This applies also to the track "Will They Die 4 You" from the South Park
Chef Aid album, which is credited to "Mase, Lil' Kim, Puffy, and System
of a Down".  It is also a perfect example of why (IMO) it was a terrible
idea to drop all that contextual information in favor of "if there is no
main artist, pick one and make the others (feat.)"

RE: [mb-users] Performed or guest performed?

Cristov Russell
> > This is because most of them (25000 or so) were added
> automatically.
> > Changing them to guest performed in the cases where that is more
> > appropriate is strongly encouraged.
>
> I mean no disrespect for your work, it's a useful thing,
> rather than having to add them manually which nobody would
> ever do (with the current interface that is...) but i think
> mdhowe's point is important. please change the type to guest
> performed for future iterations of the feat. script, which
> IMO is more appropriate...
> g0llum

It's not that simply and I think that RJM used the best possible choice.
Many of the entries are duets and in that case guest really isn't
appropriate since it may appear on a release from either artist or both and
in some places the credits might be reveresed. Neither artist can be deemed
more important than the other. The Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds example
however, is probably a safer bet for guest. Honestly I think the additional
annotaion of guest, additional might be too granular. I don't think it
really adds as much value as it does confusion and this thread is probably
proof of that. No information would truly be lost if guest were omitted. The
more important piece of information is that multiple artists appeared on a
recording and "performed" does that much on it's own.

Cristov (wolfsong)