Recording>Work>Work chain

Robert Bihlmeyer
Hi,

if I enter a recording A of a song B that takes its lyrics from a poem
C, I create recording A, works B (type song) and C (type poem). C points
to an artist as its writer/lyricist, B points to a composer and to
is-based-on C. A is-a-recording-of B.

Viewing a medium containing the recording A, I am nicely shown the
composer but not the lyricist. In other words, the chain is chased one
level, but not two. I'd really like the poem's author to be show. She
would be, if she had directly collaborated with the composer...

A workaround would be to duplicate the lyricist relation in work B, but
duplication and relationship clusters are frowned upon.

These are other examples of a similar is-based-on relation:

* Using the music of a song with different lyrics (derivative's lyricist
should *replace* base's)
* Using the music of a song with additional/translated lyrics
(derivative's lyricist should be *added* to base's)

Any thoughts?

Robbe

Re: Recording>Work>Work chain

Daniel Sobey
When looking up a song in a works database you will usually find the artists in the quoted work being mentioned on the current work/

When adding works you sometimes find that a long dead artist is credited as a writer, this is usually because the song has been sampled and used as the basis for the new work.

Whatever, Whenever   https://musicbrainz.org/work/33e3411d-6103-4227-9473-1af860589851  (work T-060.462.682-5)
is based on Inside Out https://musicbrainz.org/work/6eef472f-2a55-4447-89cb-4ecdb93c4571   (work T-060.615.389-2)
The artists from the original are copied to the new work.
You can look up the paperwork for the above using http://iswcnet.cisac.org/ and searching based on the ISWC number.