Release date is wrong, but I don't know the right one

Release date is wrong, but I don't know the right one

Greg Ward
Consider this release of U2's *War*:

  http://musicbrainz.org/release/d9d6ef1c-1e8c-44bd-a44b-629b2c482ec2

MusicBrainz says it was released in 2000 based on what looks like a
fan-compiled discography:

  http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/alb003.html

My CD is *identical* to the one listed on that site, down to the
Matrix ID printed on the inner rim of the disc. So I'm pretty sure
it's the same release.

Except I bought my copy second-hand in 1997. It can't possibly have
been released in 2000. So the release date must be wrong.

The only date info on the CD I have is "(c) 1983", the original
release date. But it must have been post-1994-or so, because the legal
fine prints includes the URL for Universal Music Canada.

Tips on what to do? The least I can do is replace the presumably
erroneous 2000 release date with no info.

       Greg
--
Greg Ward                            http://www.gerg.ca
<[hidden email]>                       @gergdotca

Re: Release date is wrong, but I don't know the right one

Jazzy Jarilith
Even though 1983 was the original release date for the album, we don't know if it was released on CD.
Aslo, your CD might be a simple repress. We would need the original release to find out whether we have a mere repress or a new release. If only the matrix differs, I don't think it warrants a new entry in the database.

In the end I'd simply remove the release date and keep it that way as we don't have enough information.

[...]

To avoid someone setting it again to 2000, I'd also mention your findings on the release.