Retrieving contributors to a recording to create artist playlists

Retrieving contributors to a recording to create artist playlists

Michael Schuerig

I've started looking at MusicBrainz a couple of days ago with a specific
aim. I'd like to create playlists for artists containing all recordings
(in my collection) they play on.

I'm mostly interested in rock and jazz, but I think it would be at least
as interesting do for classical music.

An example. Let's say I want to create a playlist with recordings by
Steve Morse. Luckily, I remember that at one time or another, he
published albums under his own name and he was part of the Dixie Dregs,
Kansas, Deep Purple, and Flying Colors. I'd have to look at the CDs to
find the details.

I'd rather query MusicBrainz. As far as I can tell, the MB data model
can represent the information I'm looking for. However, I have no idea
if the actual data is nearly detailed enough to make my idea workable.
Also, I've made a few attempts at queries such as this one

http://www.musicbrainz.org/ws/2/recording/e9863849-4bb5-4709-bcf6-
f79e08f09ed5?inc=artist-credits+recording-rels

and I'm not quite sure how to get the information I want even if it is
indeed there.

Regarding the general approach, I'm considering to retrieve contributor
data for each recording in a collection once and then cache it locally.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:[hidden email]

On Tuesday 23 April 2013, David Hilton wrote:
> Use picard to tag your music.

I'm confused, how would that help with what I'm trying to do? Picard by
itself does not embed the information I'm looking for as far as I can
tell. I'm currently using beets, so I do have the MBIDs of recordings. I
don't yet understand how to get from those id to the data I'm interested
in. And if there is already enough of that data to make my approach
workable to begin with.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:[hidden email]
http://www.schuerig.de/michael/

Re: Retrieving contributors to a recording to create artist playlists

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Michael Schuerig <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tuesday 23 April 2013, David Hilton wrote:
> Use picard to tag your music.

I'm confused, how would that help with what I'm trying to do? Picard by
itself does not embed the information I'm looking for as far as I can
tell. I'm currently using beets, so I do have the MBIDs of recordings. I
don't yet understand how to get from those id to the data I'm interested
in. And if there is already enough of that data to make my approach
workable to begin with.

Picard (and I expect beets too) can embed the relationship metadata. There might not be enough of it in rock releases for what you want, though - classical should be better.

On Tuesday 23 April 2013, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Michael Schuerig
> <[hidden email]
>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday 23 April 2013, David Hilton wrote:
> > > Use picard to tag your music.
> >
> > I'm confused, how would that help with what I'm trying to do?
> > Picard by itself does not embed the information I'm looking for as
> > far as I can tell. I'm currently using beets, so I do have the
> > MBIDs of recordings. I don't yet understand how to get from those
> > id to the data I'm interested in. And if there is already enough
> > of that data to make my approach workable to begin with.
>
> Picard (and I expect beets too) can embed the relationship metadata.
> There might not be enough of it in rock releases for what you want,
> though - classical should be better.

I didn't realize that about Picard. Thanks for pointing it out. I've
enabled the relevant options and tried it on a few albums, but
apparently, there's nothing there for my samples. I tried some classical
(Bach, Beethoven) and Rock (Zappa) without apparent success.

Anyway, embedding metadata on performers is not what I'm ultimately
after. For playlist generation I'd need to get that data into a database
and in order to do that I need the appropriate ways to query
MusicBrainz. So, given the MBID for a recording, would a request like
this be the right way?

http://www.musicbrainz.org/ws/2/recording/e9863849-4bb5-4709-bcf6-
f79e08f09ed5?inc=artist-credits+recording-rels

That request might be handled by some library, of course, I'm just
trying to get the general idea.

Michael

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM, Michael Schuerig <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tuesday 23 April 2013, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Michael Schuerig
> <[hidden email]
>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday 23 April 2013, David Hilton wrote:
> > > Use picard to tag your music.
> >
> > I'm confused, how would that help with what I'm trying to do?
> > Picard by itself does not embed the information I'm looking for as
> > far as I can tell. I'm currently using beets, so I do have the
> > MBIDs of recordings. I don't yet understand how to get from those
> > id to the data I'm interested in. And if there is already enough
> > of that data to make my approach workable to begin with.
>
> Picard (and I expect beets too) can embed the relationship metadata.
> There might not be enough of it in rock releases for what you want,
> though - classical should be better.

I didn't realize that about Picard. Thanks for pointing it out. I've
enabled the relevant options and tried it on a few albums, but
apparently, there's nothing there for my samples. I tried some classical
(Bach, Beethoven) and Rock (Zappa) without apparent success.

Anyway, embedding metadata on performers is not what I'm ultimately
after. For playlist generation I'd need to get that data into a database
and in order to do that I need the appropriate ways to query
MusicBrainz. So, given the MBID for a recording, would a request like
this be the right way?

f79e08f09ed5?inc=artist-credits+recording-rels

That request might be handled by some library, of course, I'm just
trying to get the general idea.

I think you'd want http://www.musicbrainz.org/ws/2/recording/8f1782b8-cac1-4588-9314-fadee5cb3dcc?inc=artist-credits+artist-rels (changed the example recording because the one you were using just doesn't have recording relationships at all)

Re: Retrieving contributors to a recording to create artist playlists

CallerNo6
On 04/23/2013 09:49 AM, Michael Schuerig wrote:

> An example. Let's say I want to create a playlist with recordings by
> Steve Morse. Luckily, I remember that at one time or another, he
> published albums under his own name and he was part of the Dixie Dregs,
> Kansas, Deep Purple, and Flying Colors. I'd have to look at the CDs to
> find the details.
>
> [snip]
> Any thoughts, recommendations?
>
> Michael

I'm not sure if this helps, but fwiw:

Assuming your files are tagged with recording-level data, quodlibet
will  let you filter your library (and build playlists) as you describe.

Alex / caller#6

Re: Retrieving contributors to a recording to create artist playlists

Michael Schuerig
On Tuesday 23 April 2013, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM, Michael Schuerig <

[...]

> > Anyway, embedding metadata on performers is not what I'm ultimately
> > after. For playlist generation I'd need to get that data into a
> > database and in order to do that I need the appropriate ways to
> > query MusicBrainz. So, given the MBID for a recording, would a
> > request like this be the right way?
> >
> > http://www.musicbrainz.org/ws/2/recording/e9863849-4bb5-4709-bcf6-
> > f79e08f09ed5?inc=artist-credits+recording-rels
> >
> > That request might be handled by some library, of course, I'm just
> > trying to get the general idea.
>
> I think you'd want
> http://www.musicbrainz.org/ws/2/recording/8f1782b8-cac1-4588-9314-fad
> ee5cb3dcc?inc=artist-credits+artist-rels (changed
> the example recording because the one you were using just doesn't
> have recording relationships at all)

Thanks, that looks good. I'll take a sample of recordings and check if
the relevant data is available to make playlist creation viable.

Michael

On Tuesday 23 April 2013, caller#6 wrote:

> On 04/23/2013 09:49 AM, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > An example. Let's say I want to create a playlist with recordings
> > by Steve Morse. Luckily, I remember that at one time or another,
> > he published albums under his own name and he was part of the
> > Dixie Dregs, Kansas, Deep Purple, and Flying Colors. I'd have to
> > look at the CDs to find the details.
> >
> > [snip]
> > Any thoughts, recommendations?
> >
> > Michael
>
> I'm not sure if this helps, but fwiw:
>
> Assuming your files are tagged with recording-level data, quodlibet
> will  let you filter your library (and build playlists) as you
> describe.

Interesting. That makes a good case for keeping that kind of data in
tags.

Michael