Schema change release: July 11, 2011

Robert Kaye
Administrator
Hi!

In order to fix some performance problems that we've identified with NGS, we're going to combine the READONLY and RAWDATA databases in a release on July 11, 2011. We originally separated the databases in order to open up a scalability path due to Postgres lacking solid replication facilities. Now that Postgres 9 supports replication, we can setup read-only slaves in order to scale MusicBrainz. Having separate READONLY and RAWDATA databases causes quite a few performance issues, so we're going to combine the databases back into one.

Also, during the NGS release we missed two tables that were not replicated:

   work_alias
   url_gid_redirect

These tables will start replicating after July 11. On July 11 we will have an upgrade script available to will allow you to perform the needed changes to your local database. Other than these changes we're not currently anticipating changing the schema in any other significant ways.

To keep track of other issues that will be fixed/changed in this release, please take a look at/monitor this milestone:

--ruaok        The answer to whether or not something is a good idea should not be taken as an indication of whether I want to do it.

Robert Kaye     --     [hidden email]     --    http://mayhem-chaos.net

Re: Schema change release: July 11, 2011

Robert Kaye
Administrator
Hi!

We found some bugs in our upgrade scripts in our last testing pass. :-( To make fully sure that everything is going to run without difficulties we're going to postpone the release by 24 hours and run another test pass.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the actual update and instructions on how to update your client.

Thanks!

On Jun 27, 2011, at 3:01 PM, Robert Kaye wrote:

[...]

Re: Schema change release: July 11, 2011: COMPLETE

Robert Kaye
Administrator
The schema change release is complete and replication can be
restarted. For all details see this blog post:

    http://blog.musicbrainz.org/?p=983

On Jul 11, 2011, at 1:58 PM, Robert Kaye wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We found some bugs in our upgrade scripts in our last testing
> pass. :-( To make fully sure that everything is going to run without
> difficulties we're going to postpone the release by 24 hours and run
> another test pass.
>
> Stay tuned tomorrow for the actual update and instructions on how to
> update your client.
>
> Thanks!
>

> On Jun 27, 2011, at 3:01 PM, Robert Kaye wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> In order to fix some performance problems that we've identified
>> with NGS, we're going to combine the READONLY and RAWDATA databases
>> in a release on July 11, 2011. We originally separated the
>> databases in order to open up a scalability path due to Postgres
>> lacking solid replication facilities. Now that Postgres 9 supports
>> replication, we can setup read-only slaves in order to scale
>> MusicBrainz. Having separate READONLY and RAWDATA databases causes
>> quite a few performance issues, so we're going to combine the
>> databases back into one.
>>
>> Also, during the NGS release we missed two tables that were not
>> replicated:
>>
>>    work_alias
>>    url_gid_redirect
>>
>> These tables will start replicating after July 11. On July 11 we
>> will have an upgrade script available to will allow you to perform
>> the needed changes to your local database. Other than these changes
>> we're not currently anticipating changing the schema in any other
>> significant ways.
>>
>> To keep track of other issues that will be fixed/changed in this
>> release, please take a look at/monitor this milestone:
>>
>>    http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS/fixforversion/10081#selectedTab
>> =com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversion-issues-panel
>>
>> Please let me know if you have any questions!
>>
>> --
>>
>> --ruaok        The answer to whether or not something is a good
>> idea should not be taken as an indication of whether I want to do it.
>>
>> Robert Kaye     --     [hidden email]     --    http://mayhem-chaos.net

> --ruaok        The answer to whether or not something is a good idea
> should not be taken as an indication of whether I want to do it.
>
> Robert Kaye     --     [hidden email]     --    http://mayhem-
> chaos.net

--ruaok        The answer to whether or not something is a good idea
should not be taken as an indication of whether I want to do it.

Robert Kaye     --     [hidden email]     --    http://mayhem-chaos.net

Re: Schema change release: July 11, 2011: COMPLETE

mayhem
Administrator

On Jul 13, 2011, at 4:13 AM, Robert Kaye wrote:

> The schema change release is complete and replication can be
> restarted. For all details see this blog post:
>
>    http://blog.musicbrainz.org/?p=983

Hi!

We've actually decided to skip all of the tickets except for the Cover Art Archive ticket. That should make the release much easier -- the other tickets we wanted to get done will be done in May.

   http://blog.musicbrainz.org/?p=1176

Thanks!

--

--ruaok