Setting up an NGS musicbrainz slave

Robert Kaye
Administrator
Hi!

Things have settled down a little and we've even gotten a couple of hotfix releases out:

We'll have hot fix releases out every day this week, so fixes are coming out fast!

Now, on to setting up your own mirror in case you haven't done that already. With NGS you now have two choices:

A. Run a full copy of MusicBrainz on your servers. This will give you access to both the web interface and our web services API. This approach requires installing a lot of perl modules and it not recommended if all you need is access to the database itself.
B. Run only the database fed by the mbslave program. This will require you to install Postgres and this software only -- this is much faster than installing a full copy of MusicBrainz. mbslave will even support MySql database mirrors soon!

If you would like to try out the mbslave route, start here: [2]. If you would like to go with the full MusicBrainz install, follow the instructions below:

1. Get a copy of the git version control program. See our Git wiki page for information on our Git workflow and links to learn more about git. [0]
2. Clone our gir repository:

   > git clone <a href="git://git.musicbrainz.org/musicbrainz-server.git">git://git.musicbrainz.org/musicbrainz-server.git

3.  Check out the latest tagged version:

   > git checkout v-2011-05-23-ngs-hotfixes

This will warn you about being in a detached HEAD state; if you plan to make any changes to the codebase you should create another a branch as the warning message suggests:

   > git checkout -b 2011-05-23-ngs-hotfixes

You can use any branch name you want, I just used the above as an example.

4. Once you have acquired the right code, its time to download the data from our FTP site. [3] For a mirror site you can skip the mbdump-edit file and if you dont need CD Stubs you can also skip the mbdump-cdstubs file.

5. Now read the INSTALL file in the source code and follow the instructions in it for setting up your own copy of MusicBrainz.

6. Once you've completed the setup, you can fetch updates using the usual replication command:

   > admin/replication/LoadReplicationChanges

Good luck!

If you have any questions, please post them here or ask for help in our IRC channel at #musicbrainz-devel on irc.freenode.net.

Thanks!

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~luks/+junk/mbslave   .  (please ignore the note that this project is abandoned).

--

--ruaok        The answer to whether or not something is a good idea should not be taken as an indication of whether I want to do it.

Robert Kaye     --     [hidden email]     --    http://mayhem-chaos.net

Re: Setting up an NGS musicbrainz slave

Robert Kaye
Administrator

On May 23, 2011, at 4:08 PM, Robert Kaye wrote:

> B. Run only the database fed by the mbslave program. This will
> require you to install Postgres and this software only -- this is
> much faster than installing a full copy of MusicBrainz. mbslave will
> even support MySql database mirrors soon!
>
> If you would like to try out the mbslave route, start here: [2].

It turns out this project has moved to github. Its new home is:

    https://code.launchpad.net/~luks/+junk/mbslave

The patch to add MySql support is waiting to be merged in.

Thanks!

On May 23, 2011, at 9:38 PM, Robert Kaye wrote:
> It turns out this project has moved to github. Its new home is:
>
>    https://code.launchpad.net/~luks/+junk/mbslave
>
> The patch to add MySql support is waiting to be merged in.

Oops. Copy/Pasta error, sorry. The correct URL is:

    https://github.com/lalinsky/mbslave

Thanks for catching that, Valerio!