Singles / EPs / Mini-LPs / Albums

Simon Tucker
All,

This follows from a discussion on the wiki:

http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ReleaseTypeRestructuringDiscussion

and relates to the Release Type Restrucuring, specifically the selection of
the "Main Types".

To summarise my stance: I am concerned that this is substantial overlap
between the notion of an EP and a single and, to a lesser extent, an album. I
am not arguing that we should remove the notion of an EP entirely - just that
it should be a tick box rather than an alternate category.

In my experience releases can either be put in a single or an album category
and it seems odd to have an extra category which is almost in a limbo
category of it's own. In addition to this looking through MB and releases
that are categorised as an EP could largley by called Singles as well, a good
example being:
http://musicbrainz.org/album/117cc2ee-4eba-4f28-90cb-91121ca747bf.html
Which is called an EP but was featured in the UK singles chart so can be
considered to be both an EP and a single. Another example is:
http://musicbrainz.org/album/9684a208-1d83-489c-89f0-b23925317c6d.html
Which is an EP in MB but was rated as a Gold Album by the RIAA so in effect
could be considered to be both an EP or an album. Whilst this is an exception
and in my experience I would consider most EPs to be singles it does raise a
problem if MB ever wants to expand the range of annotations.

For example, if we want to add chart positions to releases at some point in
the future then we have a whole bunch of releases that charted in either the
singles chart or the albums chart but we can't add this information easily
because the EP category is not singles nor albums. Discographies are tricky
because it's often dependant on the artist in question but most in-print
discographies (e.g. the ones printed in Record Collector magazine) split
releases into Singles and then Albums - only having seperate EP sections for
older releases (when the EP was actually different from the singles of the
time) and so any MB discography is going to look a bit odd.

To summarise I find it odd that I can go into a shop, buy a single release and
then look it up on MB and find it's been dubbed an EP. I think there is
overlap between EPs and Singles or Albums that MB is not currently going to
capture.

Apologies for the length but then I am a nerdy record collector...
BrotherLogic