Sonos does not use artistsort tags

Kees Bakker
Hi,

Are there Sonos users here? If so, how do you cope with missing support for artistsort tags? I am trying to get Sonos interested to this. I've requested this via their support department, I've posted on their forum. So far there is very little interest, from Sonos, from Sonos users. Am I alone on this?

What am I talking about?

Suppose I have the following artists (in no particular order):
  • The Beatles
  • Ad Vanderveen
  • Chet Atkins & Mark Knopfler
  • Eliza Gilkyson

  • What I want from a music player is to have the list sorted by last name (if there is one). Musicbrainz has the artistsort tag for that. And of course there is the normal artist tag to display the name. So, if the list is sorted using the artistsort tag, and if the names are displayed using the artist tag, you would get the following list:
  • Chet Atkins & Mark Knopfler
  • The Beatles
  • Eliza Gilkyson
  • Ad Vanderveen
  • Banshee is doing it this way. Great!

    But unfortunately Sonos doesn't do that. They only use the artist tag (or the albumartist) and it uses it both for displaying and sorting. Currently I get to see this list:
  • Ad Vanderveen
  • Beatles
  • Chet Atkins & Mark Knopfler
  • Eliza Gilkyson
  • (Notice that they strip the word "The". That's just a lame workaround with limited usefulness.)

    What do you, Sonos users, think about this? Shouldn't Sonos support the artist/artistsort tags?

    Kind regards,
    Kees Bakker

    Re: Sonos does not use artistsort tags

    Fred Marchee
    Hi Kees,

    This problem is a known problem and is a problem with a lot of mediaplayers,
    software or hardware like your Sonos. Sonos doesn't want to understand this
    problem just like many other mediaplayers.

    The main reason why I like Musicbrainz is that it is adding the album- and
    artistsort tag and there is only one hardware player doing it right way (I
    think): Squeezebox. Even the very expensive Naim or Linn players don't
    understand the sorting you propose. Chet Atkins found under the "C". In a
    library Shakespeare under the "W" my God!! basic name sorting guys!

    But being very close to Sonos, Naim and Linn and from the first hand: They
    don't and will not understand the problem! Try to explain to a customer who
    just bought a € 12.000+ Sooloos system and his artists are all messed up.

    Enough moaning, a workaround: With Picard you can copy the "albumartistsort"
    tag to the "albumartist" tag with the script option (options -> advanced ->
    script)

    Like:

    $set(artist,%artistsort%)
    $set(albumartist,%albumartistsort%)

    After an update of the database your artists will look like:

    Atkins, Chet & Knopfler, Mark
    Beatles, The
    Gilkyson, Eliza
    Rodgers, Richard & Hammerstein II, Oscar (from another discussion ;-) )
    Vanderveen, Ad

    Not 100% what you want but at least the sorting is logical.

    I wil not stop complaining about this lazy way of programming. But please
    don't throw away your Sonos and buy a Squeezebox, the system is great.

    Fred (fred576)

    Re: Sonos does not use artistsort tags

    Kees Bakker
    Thanks Fred for the moral support :-)

    Good to know that Squeezebox does the right thing.

    I understand your suggestion to use albumartist, but I'm not going to
    have my artists displayed as "Atkins, Chet". I rather keep on pushing
    Sonos. Someday they will have to make the move just to get rid of my
    moaning :-)

    If you have a Sonos you can support my action in this forum post:

       http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=10379

    That's http://forums.sonos.com/ and then "Sound Ideas" and
     "Sort artist names using a second tag (FLAC: artistsort, mp3: TSOP)"

    -- Kees

    On Apr 12, 2010, at 11:44 PM, Fred Marchee wrote:

[...]

    zoie_29
    That is true dear; Sonos can stream music into any area of your residence. It gets music from 4 different spaces, which are proscribed by a Sonos Controller, a computer.