Style for classical track titles (STYLE-344)

123

Re: Style for classical track titles (STYLE-344) - untitled works only?

Alexander VanValin
On 11/07/2014 01:11 PM, SwissChris wrote:

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM, caller#6 <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/06/2014 03:05 PM, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:
On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 12:56 AM, caller#6 <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/29/2014 11:32 AM, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:

> Evolving draft at
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Reosarevok/Classical_Track_Titles

Does/should the guideline about adding full work super-titles apply to
all "classical"? Or only to 'untitled' works?

Huh. Why wouldn't it apply to everything? Is there something that suggests that? :/

I dunno.  It seems to me like if this applies to titled works, then it also applies to non-classical, and should be a general guideline for all tracks (classical and non-) that are grouped by a super-title/header.

CSG special cases, in my mind, are mainly about two things.

1. tradition (composer-centric artist credits) and
2. untitled works (make them easily identifiable by standardizing the formatting and notation).

And there's
3. all works, titled or not, that are split into (numbered) parts and meant to be played and heard (and seen) in sequence: symphonies, but also opera, operette, cantata (and IMHO musicals, ballets, audiobooks and the like).

Well, right, I think that's part of my question. Is #3 a concern unique to classical?

Re: Style for classical track titles (STYLE-344) - untitled works only?

Rachel Dwight

On Nov 7, 2014, at 3:49 PM, caller#6 <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 11/07/2014 01:11 PM, SwissChris wrote:

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM, caller#6 <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/06/2014 03:05 PM, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:
On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 12:56 AM, caller#6 <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/29/2014 11:32 AM, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:

> Evolving draft at
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Reosarevok/Classical_Track_Titles

Does/should the guideline about adding full work super-titles apply to
all "classical"? Or only to 'untitled' works?

Huh. Why wouldn't it apply to everything? Is there something that suggests that? :/

I dunno.  It seems to me like if this applies to titled works, then it also applies to non-classical, and should be a general guideline for all tracks (classical and non-) that are grouped by a super-title/header.

CSG special cases, in my mind, are mainly about two things.

1. tradition (composer-centric artist credits) and
2. untitled works (make them easily identifiable by standardizing the formatting and notation).

And there's
3. all works, titled or not, that are split into (numbered) parts and meant to be played and heard (and seen) in sequence: symphonies, but also opera, operette, cantata (and IMHO musicals, ballets, audiobooks and the like).

Well, right, I think that's part of my question. Is #3 a concern unique to classical?

No. He brought it up because recently we had a discussion over whether the same system should be used for musical theatre (and a few other genres/work types).

Re: Style for classical track titles (STYLE-344)

A revised version of this has been added to the guidelines. If you feel some amendments are needed, please add a ticket and I will take a look at them :)

123