Telling new people about MB

Shadab Zafar
Our college is organizing a GSoC meetup [1], where people are supposed
to speak about their projects and organizations.

In my talk, I plan to give live demos of how to tag files with Picard
and how to add releases to MB.

What else should I be telling people who've never heard of
MusicBrainz?

Voting? (though I don't myself have much idea about it)

[1]: http://gsoc.jmilug.org/

Re: Telling new people about MB

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 1:22 AM, Shadab Zafar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Our college is organizing a GSoC meetup [1], where people are supposed
to speak about their projects and organizations.

In my talk, I plan to give live demos of how to tag files with Picard
and how to add releases to MB.

What else should I be telling people who've never heard of
MusicBrainz?

Might want to mention a few orgs that use our data: http://metabrainz.org/doc/Customers

Apart from that, well, maybe not get into detail about voting, but mentioning edits are checked and voted / given feedback on by other users at least makes sense to me :)

Re: Telling new people about MB

Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen
Den 21-08-2014 kl. 00:22 skrev Shadab Zafar:
> Our college is organizing a GSoC meetup [1], where people are supposed
> to speak about their projects and organizations.
>
> In my talk, I plan to give live demos of how to tag files with Picard
> and how to add releases to MB.
>
> What else should I be telling people who've never heard of
> MusicBrainz?

I did a "lightning talk" (~15 minute presentation) at Open Source Days
in Copenhagen last year. Feel free to take and use anything you want
from my slides:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1b_CMFxJJDETx2_E5utuzH9BGhpbTyT4Tjtphg8K4HHE/edit?usp=sharing

Not all of it is current anymore (I don't think there's any Haskell in
active use, for example, since Ollie left the team, and NES is off the
table as it is, and OAuth 2 is no longer a "future" thing). Feel free to
poke me on IRC to ask me about things.

> Voting? (though I don't myself have much idea about it)

As reo said, I wouldn't touch on voting more than edits are being
monitored, if mentioning it at all.

--
Namasté,
Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>

Re: Telling new people about MB

Alexander VanValin
On 08/20/2014 03:22 PM, Shadab Zafar wrote:

> Our college is organizing a GSoC meetup [1], where people are supposed
> to speak about their projects and organizations.
>
> In my talk, I plan to give live demos of how to tag files with Picard
> and how to add releases to MB.
>
> What else should I be telling people who've never heard of
> MusicBrainz?
>
> Voting? (though I don't myself have much idea about it)
>
> [1]: http://gsoc.jmilug.org/

I would mention the growth of MB's mission, from its tagging roots to
something larger, an "open source encyclopedia of music information" and
a respected (I hope) source of open linked data.

Alex / caller#6

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 08:14:13PM +0200, Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen wrote:

> Den 21-08-2014 kl. 00:22 skrev Shadab Zafar:
> > Our college is organizing a GSoC meetup [1], where people are supposed
> > to speak about their projects and organizations.
> >
> > In my talk, I plan to give live demos of how to tag files with Picard
> > and how to add releases to MB.
> >
> > What else should I be telling people who've never heard of
> > MusicBrainz?
>
> I did a "lightning talk" (~15 minute presentation) at Open Source Days
> in Copenhagen last year. Feel free to take and use anything you want
> from my slides:
> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1b_CMFxJJDETx2_E5utuzH9BGhpbTyT4Tjtphg8K4HHE/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Not all of it is current anymore (I don't think there's any Haskell in
> active use, for example, since Ollie left the team,
Utter trivia and irrelevant to the overall thread but I felt like
answering the implicit question: the bits of Haskell that made it into
production use for MB are a.) a thing called musicbrainz-email that sent
out all the emails when we had the password hash leakage issue (but is
currently idle) and b.) https://github.com/metabrainz/caa-admin
which is still in use but only accessible to fairly privileged folks
(mostly me) since it deals with nitty-gritty issues of CAA handling
(which has, luckily, also been fairly stable lately, so I haven't needed
to prod it much).