Three observations

Lucas Gonze-2
With the passage of much time since we created XSPF, I have three observations.

1. "Content resolution" was a powerful idea that has been picked up and adopted widely.

2, XML is dead. Long live JSON. Out of the formats we considered - RDF, XML and Xoxo - JSON wasn't even on the list.

3. The idea of playlists as portable files that you might carry around or repurpose has little demand. Playlists are used as transient views of RESTful resources.

(For those on both generations of this list, you got two copies because I originally sent to the old list).

Re: Three observations

Pushtape
Lucas,

I think the concept of portability is still relevant, it's just expanded beyond a file sent between individuals. If XSPF's goal was to make playlists portable between people, maybe JSPF is to make a common protocol for sharing playlists between RESTful services. Whether the .jspf is a static file or transient response shouldn't really matter to whatever application or player is consuming it.

- zirafa

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Lucas Gonze <[hidden email]> wrote:
With the passage of much time since we created XSPF, I have three observations.

1. "Content resolution" was a powerful idea that has been picked up and adopted widely.

2, XML is dead. Long live JSON. Out of the formats we considered - RDF, XML and Xoxo - JSON wasn't even on the list.

3. The idea of playlists as portable files that you might carry around or repurpose has little demand. Playlists are used as transient views of RESTful resources.

(For those on both generations of this list, you got two copies because I originally sent to the old list).

Re: Three observations

Lucas Gonze
That’s an elegant way of putting it, zirafa.

The player context when we started was mainly desktop MP3 software. Now it is mainly streaming services. But that’s not necessarily a problem.

--
Lucas Gonze