Virtual Structure for WikiDocs

DonRedman
I have started to create a virtual structure in the WikiDocs pages that
Stefan has created which should feel to the uses like a real structure.
First, I have to say that I am impressed about the amount of good content
that Stefan has entered into the wiki. I believe this will grow into the
wiki very quickly (= about a month in wiki terms).

For the virtual structure see
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ServerCodebase
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ServerDevelopment
for what I had in mind.

However, with ServerDownload I immediately realized that I am not sure
which page exactly belongs were.

@Keschte: Can you please send a tree-like structure to this list that
shows how you imagined the pages to be structured?

IIRC the Download pages were supposed to be virtual 'sub-pages' of the
respective product page. Is that correct? Does this make sense for the
server too, or just for the client apps?
is it Server > ServerDevelopment > ServerDownload
or Products > Server > ServerDownload?

@Wolfsong you were working on categories on these pages. Can you please
explain what you had in mind? Stefan and me discussed this and concluded
that there should be a category for each product (like CategoryServer,
CategoryPicard) and one for each kind of page (CategoryDownload,
CategoryDocumentation, CategoryDevelopment,...)
What do you think about this?

Lastly to Stefan, Lukas and myself:

The transclusion table lacks the most basic features that would enable
collaborative editing. To prevent total chaos and broken pages for our
visitors, I would ask that *nobody, except Wolfsong* adds a new page to
the transclusion table. You can update existing entries as much as you
want, but the decision whether a page gets wikidocselt or not lies in the
sole discretion of Wolfsong.
I will stick to this myself.

If you want a page to be wikidocselt, send Wolfsong a mail, or even better
create a ticket and assign it to him (all the old WikiDocs tickets which
stand for enhancements to wiki pages should probably be nuked. Wiki
editing just does not work this way).

    DonRedman

--
Words that are written in CamelCase refer to WikiPages:
Visit http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ the best MusicBrainz documentation

RE: Virtual Structure for WikiDocs

Cristov Russell
> I have started to create a virtual structure in the WikiDocs pages

I like the breadcrumbs.

> @Wolfsong you were working on categories on these pages. Can
> you please explain what you had in mind? Stefan and me
> discussed this and concluded that there should be a category
> for each product (like CategoryServer,
> CategoryPicard) and one for each kind of page
> (CategoryDownload, CategoryDocumentation,
> CategoryDevelopment,...) What do you think about this?

I'm currently working on moving everything currently in
CategoryDocumentation elsewhere. The entire wiki is Documentation and the
category itself has become a dumping ground for too many things that simply
need a new category. Categories should form logical groupings of pages and
there are many ways to group a number of the existing pages. The important
thing is that we clearly define the intent of the category and when no
appropriate category already exists, create a new one and document it's
intent as well.

I think the categories you mentioned should be created as well as things
like Internationalization, Deployment (for pages like
ServerReleaseNotes/2006/0618) and Implementation (for pages that explain how
things work but that are not HowTo - I also don't think that's the right
"name", just haven't found the right one).

Care and thought should go into some of these since wiki categories also
serve as mini-searches. For instance, do we need a CategoryDevelopmentServer
and CategoryDevelopmentClient or just CategoryDevelopment because we
shouldn't need all 3? If we transition from 1 to several then the
CategoryDevelopment should probably be deleted entirely but a single
category might be useful for a small number of pages.

> The transclusion table lacks the most basic features that
> would enable collaborative editing. To prevent total chaos
> and broken pages for our visitors, I would ask that *nobody,
> except Wolfsong* adds a new page to the transclusion table.
> You can update existing entries as much as you want, but the
> decision whether a page gets wikidocselt or not lies in the
> sole discretion of Wolfsong.
> I will stick to this myself.
>
> If you want a page to be wikidocselt, send Wolfsong a mail,
> or even better create a ticket and assign it to him (all the
> old WikiDocs tickets which stand for enhancements to wiki
> pages should probably be nuked. Wiki editing just does not
> work this way).
>
>    DonRedman

I've already closed a number of these but there are a few more I'm looking
at closing as well; more as a reminder of pages with immediate needs that I
don't think anyone else will do quickly that we agreed we wanted ready for
the next update.

Creating tickets will always work better for me in terms of tracking and it
sends me an email anyway.

Cristov (wolfsong)

RE: Virtual Structure for WikiDocs

keschte
> However, with ServerDownload I immediately realized that I am not sure
> which page exactly belongs were.
> IIRC the Download pages were supposed to be virtual 'sub-pages' of the
> respective product page. Is that correct? Does this make sense for the
> server too, or just for the client apps?
> is it Server > ServerDevelopment > ServerDownload

Yep, the breadcrumbs are an excellent idea. When porting the content, I felt
that splitting the description and the download instructions of the products
was a sensible thing to do, since some pages were quite bloated with
everything stuffed in there. therefore I moved this content to a subpage (or
now the ...Download pages). So, it makes definitly sense to attach them as a
child to the respective Product page.

> or Products > Server > ServerDownload?

I'd include the Products root page, too.

> If you want a page to be wikidocselt, send Wolfsong a mail,
> or even better
> create a ticket and assign it to him (all the old WikiDocs
> tickets which
> stand for enhancements to wiki pages should probably be nuked. Wiki
> editing just does not work this way).

Agreed.